• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G0079
Rick sneakers are massive.
laugh.gif
I don't think I've seen a fit where they looked great. MMMs are another thing altogether.

Aeg rocks the fake rick dunks, Fuuma rocks the real ones.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steveoffice
5333260815_f48440a9bd_z.jpg

Second WAYWT post, I think...

I generally dislike dufflecoats, but this one is really nice.
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
Yeah, no kidding. The one pictured is a 36R and I should easily be wearing a 34R. I even found a blazer at a thrift shop marked 33R once that fit perfectly. It was black, double-breasted and had silver buttons though, so I didn't buy it. As most are aware, I became a pretty big fan of Epaulet this last year and I was anxiously awaiting their sport coats until I found out they aren't doing size 34 in the initial run. So in the meantime, I'm going to try to look into Thick as Thieves at some point in the next couple of months. I've been meaning to for awhile and it just keeps getting delayed when other stuff comes up.
I'm unfortunately in the same boat as you. I have a 35" chest, and they don't make jackets that small. When they do, they're by brands like APC, and they'll come with overly thin lapels, high buttoning points, and short jackets - details that I think look trendy and juvenile. I hate to say it, since TaT is done by some fellow forumites, but I don't think they're a good value. The suits I've seen by them rarely fit well. Worse, you can't return the item or resell it for much value since it was custom made for you. I also dislike Indochino, as they make suits in just as terrible of cuts, but I like that they'll allow you to return an order. If you absolutely can't save up enough money to go bespoke, try them. Otherwise, if you're serious about getting a suit, save up $1,200-1,500 and get something bespoke. It will be much, much better than MTM because certain issues just can't be captured by a simple MTM measure - such as sleeve pitch, shoulder slopes, and lateral balance on your pants. I imagine you don't need more than one suit anyway, given how old you look, so you might as well make it the perfect one. Of course, if you can't afford that, then MTM is fine. I've also heard good things about RL, Brooks, and Armani MTM programs, but for the prices they charge, you might as well go low end bespoke. Before you go MTM or bespoke, however, I suggest you lurk the MC side of the board for 8-12 months, and spend some time trying on different suits in stores. I think your taste in the details (lapel width, length, buttoning point, patch vs. welt pockets, Neapolitan vs. British shoulders, ticket pockets vs. none, etc) will change dramatically, and you need to be sure your taste is in an equilibrium before you drop that amount of cash. Good luck finding good suit. I empathize.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
"stanley van buuren, i'd like you to meet my friend, thirditem. i feel you two would make a great couple"

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thirditem
will you be my third item?

do i get free lanvin?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SVB, you do look pretty decent in your first shot and what I see is that your hair has the most volume to it there out of all the shots which does good things for your facial proportions.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I hate to say it, since TaT is done by some fellow forumites, but I don't think they're a good value. The suits I've seen by them rarely fit well. Worse, you can't return the item or resell it for much value since it was custom made for you.

Yeah, I've seen the mixed results. The one saving grace is that I'm in LA and can therefore get measured in person. It looks like most of the bad results are due to people not measuring themselves correctly. The good results don't have this issue, and assuming that works for me, then it would be good value.

I'm actually an attorney (like half this board, it seems), so buying just one suit isn't going to work for me. But from what I regularly see at the courthouse, basic MTM is going to put me way ahead, even if it isn't perfect.

Sounds like we are in similar boats tho; and I can't tell you how many times salesman and even tailors have tried to tell me a 36R (or sometimes even a 38R, if that's all they had) was "my size" and "fit great." At least now I know better.

themidship22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thirditem
3232st.jpg

H&M vest
H&M vneck

Worth Quoting. Best fit of the last.. 20-30 pages.
FABULOUS!

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
ya know, when I post joke photos (as above), I try to make it pretty obvious that's what I'm doing. Then I see stuff that I assume MUST be joking that doesn't come with any such similar indication and it really makes me wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads