• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding Peal shoes, if they are made in England, do they follow English sizing or American sizing?

I ordered some in an E size but they feel quite tight more like a D. They have a double row nail pattern on the heel and are marked 06621.

cooolin

Reaction score
what should be a smart casual in Paris among 50 nationalities from around the world. Have to attend a dinner and the dress code is smart casual. options required.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the secrets to ID the labels thread, but didn't get a reply, so I'll try here:

Another label question, this time from a cashmere overcoat.

Sorry for the two shots. The label is folded and sewn.

56d2eda4.jpg

2c3fae33.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks.

iamjammin

Reaction score
I just bought a used pair of ae's. are the imprints on the insole of the original wearer's feet permanent? the shoes fit great, but the imprint isn't the exact same (i think it is because i have short, stubby toes). i'm new to the forum and this is the first great pair of dress shoes i've bought so i don't know how the sole on such a pair of shoes will act. any thoughts?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamjammin
I just bought a used pair of ae's. are the imprints on the insole of the original wearer's feet permanent? the shoes fit great, but the imprint isn't the exact same (i think it is because i have short, stubby toes). i'm new to the forum and this is the first great pair of dress shoes i've bought so i don't know how the sole on such a pair of shoes will act. any thoughts?

Pretty permanment. The insole settles into the cork filler.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cooolin
what should be a smart casual in Paris among 50 nationalities from around the world. Have to attend a dinner and the dress code is smart casual. options required.

Not jeans, button down, sweater, or blazer, tie optional, leather soled shoes.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 518aata
Posted this in the secrets to ID the labels thread, but didn't get a reply, so I'll try here:

Another label question, this time from a cashmere overcoat.

Sorry for the two shots. The label is folded and sewn.

56d2eda4.jpg

2c3fae33.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks.

It looks like there is a brand label behind the one care label. What does that say?

Reaction score
Some people recommend not to hang ties long-term because they can get stretched out. Is this also true for bow ties, and if so, what's the proper way to roll them?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine hanging your ties. Apart from being folded and laid flat in a tie drawer, it's the best way. Rolling will stretch the front more then the back, which will distort the shape of the tie.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It looks like there is a brand label behind the one care label. What does that say?

The label behind the pictured label is the standard Loro Piana cashmere label. On the other side of the coat is the brand label. It says "Louis Dell'Olio", which I believe is a designer/faux designer brand, but I don't believe is a manufacturer. I'd like to know who made the coat. Thanks.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
While I am totally at peace with not buttoning the bottom button on a jacket, I am a little more torn on the subject when it comes to waistcoats.

For illustrative purposes, here is the only waistcoat currently in my collection (although I do hope to add much more). When I don't button the bottom button I feel naked and often leave my shirt underneath exposed - which goes against the original purpose of a waistcoat from what I understand.

I can understand on some waistcoats they have buttons and holes at the bottom that are so far apart that the intention was to never button them, however on others there is clearly scope that allows the wearer to button up. Is it ever OK to button up the bottom button on a waistcoat?

img1604mn.jpg

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. You never button the bottom button.

killinsound

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for watches in the 1000-1500 range I'm looking for a black traditional date watch, not a diver. Something like this oris: http://www.storereplica.com/blog/wp-...z-Musician.jpg but I have small wrists, so looking for something along the 40mm line. (that Oris oscar peterson is 44mm, otherwise i wouldve gotten it already) I've been searching for the last couple days but can't really find anything. I would also really prefer automatic movement of course.

mfais

Reaction score
bro's getting married next week. navy suit, white shirt...what color tie? and pocket square?

Mike147

Reaction score
Can anyone help with Vass Shoes in NY? I tried to email Gabor and Andrew - One email got kicked back the the second is in a black hole. The # listed for Gabor rings through to a cell phone with an anonymous voicemail. I also tried Louis, Boston - They told me they don't carry Vass.

Any ideas on where to go? Looking to ask some questions on MTO or Be-Spoke

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads