• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jury duty

Milpool

Reaction score
I've never been called for jury duty. I'd actually be interested in being on a jury.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
FYI, you still get called (at least in California state courts and the federal courts) if you're a lawyer. And I have made it onto a jury despite being a practicing lawyer, as have colleagues of mine.

yeah i know. im assuming they wouldn't but who knows

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
well just an update... I got out of Jury duty, mainly because the county that called me in isn't actually the county I live in (same address, not sure why there was confusion in the matter, but I think my county property tax bill cleared it up nicely).

it was nice to kinda get a half day off work... funny how everyone seems to self destruct when your not available (sometimes a cool feeling, but generally very frustrating)

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shiiit, this thread reminds me I'm desperately late sending back the "you have to do jury duty" form I got in the mail a long time ago.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
both my summons have shown up less than 2 weeks before I was expected to serve... mighty short notice if I may say

arvidg

Reaction score
What are Styleforum standards coming to these days?

You shouldn't have to ask. This is Styleforum. Dress up. Always dress up.

loreley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.

The foreman for our jury was a practicing lawyer (in CA)

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only ever received summons while away for College. I haven't received any in the 3+ years since.

*edit* I'd probably dress in a suit or sportcoat with slacks anyways.

BP348

Reaction score
i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.

Last time I went to jury duty a lawyer was selected to the jury.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
both my summons have shown up less than 2 weeks before I was expected to serve... mighty short notice if I may say

That's about the average. How much time do you expect to get between receiving your summons and the day you have to show up? Personally I think 2 weeks is plenty of time.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Last time I was called for jury duty it was supposed to be for 3 days. I sat through voir dire for 4 cases but didn't get picked. On the afternoon of the 3rd day I was in a pool. It was for a murder case. The judge told us voir dire would probably take 3 or 4 days and then she estimated the case would take about 20 days.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Spent the afternoon listening to the same lame ass excuses I'd heard in the other pools as people tried to weasel out of it and get excused.

The next day the bailiff sent an email to everyone saying we were excused as the dude plead out.
He had killed his roomate with a sword and claimed self defense.

The main thing I took away from jury duty however is that bailiffs are semi-attractive women in their late 20s and they don't look like Richard Moll.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a lawyer and I haave to jury duty next week... probably gonna dress really sloppy.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how it's beneficial to the system to have a lawyer serve on a jury. We're stubborn pricks who can't be argued with.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
Last time I went to jury duty a lawyer was selected to the jury.

yeah sounds pretty common by the looks of this thread. i was told by a lawyer pal of mine (who primarily does criminal work in court) that they strike lawyers from the pool around here. interesting, maybe there is hope for me yet.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah sounds pretty common by the looks of this thread. i was told by a lawyer pal of mine (who primarily does criminal work in court) that they strike lawyers from the pool around here. interesting, maybe there is hope for me yet.

They don't lawyers looking up the law and thinking to themselves-I can do better!
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads