• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently a Holts sale started today. Any reason to check it out? I always assumed their prices are way out of reach for me, but a couple of guys around the office say they have got some good suits around the 600 mark.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...was in there just 30 minutes ago. Lots for the chicks, not much sale at all for us gents.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 small rack of suits for sale (about 8 suits altogether around 35% off) 1 small rack of sportcoats.

disappointing

NathansPost

Reaction score
I've only been in the Holt's here twice but both times I've been disgusted at the service. Six guys standing in front of a pile of jeans talking and you have to go up and ask them to pay for something? Pathetic. Asking them to put it in a gift box got a pained look. I can't afford to shop there all the time but when I do I'd like to not feel like I'm interrupting an important social bonding moment. Every other Holt's I've been in the service has been great.

Anybody know a good tailor in the city? I've got a Golden Fleece that I got on a deep discount and I'm scared to death over it since it's my first nice new suit.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My recent Holt experience wasn't necessarily bad per se, but it did seem quite unlike what you'd expect from a high-end department store.

It was during their advertised 15% off (almost) everything event, or whatever the number was. The process involved buying the item at regular price at the counter and then standing in another line (with about 20 people in it) to receive the refund/credit whatever it was - I don't know what the deal was because I didn't even bother after I bought my fragrance.

Oh well.

For a tailor, my personal suggestion is John in City Centre. He's been suggested (among others) before in this thread; when I took a high quality coat there he instantly recognized/admired/respected the garment and from that moment I knew I was in good hands.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
For a tailor, my personal suggestion is John in City Centre. He's been suggested (among others) before in this thread; when I took a high quality coat there he instantly recognized/admired/respected the garment and from that moment I knew I was in good hands.
I disagree, I used to go to him and he didn't listen to what I asked for. For example, I asked to have the sleeves shortened on a jacket and he told me it didn't need it (not "I don't think it needs it but I'll do it anyways" but more along the lines of "it doesn't need it, move along"). For the record, the sleeves were nearly covering my hands. Anyways, I stopped going to him soon after that. Thanks to the help of a fellow member here I found Edmonton's hidden jewel of tailoring.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123

Anyways, I stopped going to him soon after that. Thanks to the help of a fellow member here I found Edmonton's hidden jewel of tailoring.

Care to share?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just have to add that I have never gone into Holt's and been impressed with the service, even when I drop in after work dressed in the exact same clothes they sell (not that it should matter). I have experienced what was mentioned above, in me browsing, looking for sizes and such, with the staff all congregated together or folding up other stuff, etc...

Reminds me of what my grandfather would say: "customers are not an interuption to your work, they are your work."

On the topic of tailors, anybody know a cleaner that will not make my lapels look like pancakes and put the crease in my pants down the side of my leg- both things happened with Paige, despite my explicit and polite concerns to not have either happen. They seem to do a fine job with my shirts.

Further, when you take a shir to get cleaned at Paige, or the like, do they dry clean or launder them?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
I just have to add that I have never gone into Holt's and been impressed with the service, even when I drop in after work dressed in the exact same clothes they sell (not that it should matter). I have experienced what was mentioned above, in me browsing, looking for sizes and such, with the staff all congregated together or folding up other stuff, etc...

Reminds me of what my grandfather would say: "customers are not an interuption to your work, they are your work."

Personally, I like it if I can go into a store and browse without anyone talking to me until I'm ready. Usually when I'm ready to try/buy, there's a guy there named Lyle (brown hair, glasses) in the suit area who is very helpful and very professional.

Henry Singer and Harry Rosen have great customer service across the board. I was very tempted by some of the new arrival Lanvin sneakers and casual shoes I saw today at Henry Singer.

springer23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Paris Tailors (it's downtown just off Jasper) for tailoring and cleaning. It's a Chinese gent and a woman (wife maybe). Great service, does exactly what you ask for, friendly and his rates are reasonable.

Just a little caveat about Paris Tailors' current workmanship. The shop was previously owned and operated by a classy chinese gent named forest. He was a true master of tailoring, impeccable attention to detail and great customer service. He has since retired pretty much and might still be found in the back of the shop on Tuesdays and Saturdays from last I heard although I haven't seen him around in the new year. The current tailors are very nice, prices are indeed reasonable, and they offer excellent customer service. Cathy is the girl who takes the measurements and does most of the work now and while she's not bad she's no Forest. I would be wary about taking suits or sport jackets in for her to manipulate. She's pretty good at simpler projects though. Just FYI.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by springer23
Just a little caveat about Paris Tailors' current workmanship. The shop was previously owned and operated by a classy chinese gent named forest. He was a true master of tailoring, impeccable attention to detail and great customer service. He has since retired pretty much and might still be found in the back of the shop on Tuesdays and Saturdays from last I heard although I haven't seen him around in the new year. The current tailors are very nice, prices are indeed reasonable, and they offer excellent customer service. Cathy is the girl who takes the measurements and does most of the work now and while she's not bad she's no Forest. I would be wary about taking suits or sport jackets in for her to manipulate. She's pretty good at simpler projects though. Just FYI.

I had her do quite a bit of work on a suit (slimmed down the jacket sides and sleeves, shortened the sleeves, tapered and hemmed pants). I thought she did a very good job. The sleeves ended up being a bit slimmer then I had wanted, but not enough to make me want them re-done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads