• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
If everyone sizes down 1/2 on the Barrie last, why doesn't Alden just relabel what is currently a 10.5 --> 11 (etc) and then everyone can order TTS? I don't understand this.
The new problem will be: since the new Barrie last fits true to size, the old one doesn't...so what if a store or someone is selling a pair of new or used Barrie last from last year and is not aware of the change? Or what if I'm buying a pair of Indy's on eBay and I think they will fit because of the size correction, and they don't?

It's not a big deal IMO. When I collected sneakers, primary Air Jordans, some models ran bigger or smaller than others. Just try out the size that fits you best.

Simplicio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Anyone have those winn perry chromexcel longwings? Kind of interested. Shame I slept on those boots

Originally Posted by HorseHide
I have a pair, they're great (perfect for winter in Chicago). The color is darker than the natural chromexcel I've seen on a number of Shoemart offerings. They're perfect with jeans, maybe a little too light to dress up (commando soul keeps them casual as well).

Second best pair of Aldens (brown chromexcel chukka from LS is No 1) I've bought in some time.

I love mine. I've only had a couple of chances to wear them since I got them, but they do get complimented. I agree that the color is slightly darker than some of the other natural chromexcel pictures I've seen. The pictures on the Winn Perry website show this.

I think this leather and the commando sole (which I like) puts them more on the casual side. That is fine by me most days, but shell can range into a dressier look, if that is what you are going for.

arrow

Reaction score
Just got home and must share more Ravello love before ending the night.

5332007557_ac5a3658a8_z_d.jpg

NST Boots

illumin8em

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
I have brown cxl Indy boots on the trublnce last in 8.5D, cigar shell indy boots on the trubalance last in 8E, which pretty much fit the same as 8.5D, and my color 8 shell cap toes on the grant last in 8.5D. I didn't change my sizing from my other boots and they fit great.

is this true, does a true balance last 8.5D (1/2 size) fit the same as a 8E (whole size)? I have been looking at a used size 10E Indy, am worried that it will be slightly too small. The 10E that I am considering is the canvas lined version if that would make a difference. I briefly owned a 10.5D j.crew Indy and i remember it fitting pretty perfect the couple of time i tried it on.

love this thread, thanks for any help

illumin8em

Reaction score
sorry, just found my answer some pages back.

If anyone has used 10.5D Indys collecting dust, let me know if you want to sell

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
What polish would you recommend for chrome excel indy boots? Dark brown? I'm thinking just for touching up if they get really beat up or from snow/rain.

I wouldn't use any polish at all on chromexcel. It's an oil stuffed leather and the character of the leather is best suited for Venetian Shoe Cream or Neetsfoot oil ( both products have been approved by Horween leather when i spoke to them online). These products give the leather a rich, dull luster. I use the Venetian shoe cream on all my Chromexcel boots and shoes and it works great. It's does not give you that "hard shell shine" , but chromexcel is not meant to be.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/dress...shoecream.html

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juuceman
Alden on Madison Avenue in Manhattan has Indy boots in stock in Number 8, Cigar, and Whiskey, in various sizes.

Called Alden Madison Ave this morning. They do not carry whiskey indys, however, they do have cigar, black, and color 8. Nothing smaller than 9E though.

framus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
The new problem will be: since the new Barrie last fits true to size

I must have missed this as I just bought Barrie Wingtip Boots a half-size down and they do seem tight. This is "true to size", is a fact now on new Barrie lasts?

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by framus
I must have missed this as I just bought Barrie Wingtip Boots a half-size down and they do seem tight. This is "true to size", is a fact now on new Barrie lasts?

that was a hypothetical in response to the question of

Originally Posted by borderline
If everyone sizes down 1/2 on the Barrie last, why doesn't Alden just relabel what is currently a 10.5 --> 11 (etc) and then everyone can order TTS?

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
I am with you then in that minority. I love my grant last cap toes from Unionmade. From the look of a lot of the pics I see here a lot of guys seem to have wider feet, which isn't best with the grant last.

fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by bananananana
I know it's been asked to death, but how did you size the grant last boots? I have fairly narrow feet but still a D width in most shoes.

9.5C on Brannock. 9D on Grant.

Originally Posted by mcarthur
good looking shoe. enjoy wearing

Thanks. Nice shine on the Cigar LWB!

harrythedog

Reaction score
so i'm debating on a pair of shell indy's from the madison ave shop (thanks for the tip)! my only reluctance is the hand sewn stitching. will alden ever revist the machine stitching, or is this how it is going forward? anyone got inside scoop?

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harrythedog
so i'm debating on a pair of shell indy's from the madison ave shop (thanks for the tip)! my only reluctance is the hand sewn stitching. will alden ever revist the machine stitching, or is this how it is going forward? anyone got inside scoop?
Don't debate long bc they are going fast
wink.gif
IMO, I really don't see what the big fuss is between hand sewn and machine stitched. Personally, I really appreciate Aldens dedication to hand sewn craftsmanship. I will admit that hand sewing can cause shoes to vary in appearance, but as I discussed with Nate, Aldens rep, this is something I actually like. He said you can actually tell which employee sewed the shoe bc different people pull the threads with different tension, causing a difference in the toe stitch. It's like the sewers thumbprint on your shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads