• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has Italy conquered the position of arbiter of male fashion ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I came across this recent comment and the highlighted portion intrigued me ...

What do you think ?

Originally Posted by Warrengardner
I don't know what you call "high demand" or "common sizes", but I've got a new pair of EG boots in dark brown suede in 9 UK/ 9.5 US F width and a new pair of bluchers in burnt pine 9.5 UK / 10 US E width right now. I think that these are 1) common sizes because at the sales I can never find these sizes 2) high demand- or should be because they look so good !

Now as far as quality and looks, I believe each man, woman or child has a right to his opinion. Without offending anyone can I simply report the following observation. I was at a pre-Christmas bash at one of the most exclusive private clubs in Northern Italy housed in a 17th century palace with mirrored rooms, painted ceilings and uniformed attendants attended by about a 2 hundred 28-40 year old sons and daughters of Italy's Ã
00a9.png
lite. I think that it is patently obvious to all that Italy has conquered the position of arbiter of male fashion. OK, this event required a dark solid blue suit and sober shoes ( so there was a limit to the choice of footwear), but what I saw was that almost all men were wearing black captoes by EG or Lobb. I've been living here 10 years and I can tell you that in general well dressed Italians wear ONLY ENGLISH MADE DRESS SHOES, preferably dark brown during the day. The unknowledgeable wear Church, the initiated on the rise buy Crockett, the fortunate wear EG and Lobb and Brunello C has pretty well photocopied Trickers. Todds and Hogans are required nationalistic casual wear except by the extreme left -who may wear Campers (from Spain).
Italians disdain anything "made in France" and may be unaware that they make shoes in Spain other than Campers or Zara and only buy German products if they go" Vvrrooom Vvrroom".
Finally, I think fstyles is the coolest guy I've never met and that since rebel is from Louisiana, the real La, it's better not 2FWH IMO.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I myself am not really a fan of most Italian shoes. I love the styling of English-made shoes.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fashion, probably. Style, probably not.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you asking if this statement is SF-approved?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ lol ... you guys take my comments in the non sartorialist thread too seriously

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Northern Italians are Anglo wanna bees. Not worth considering.

Boswell

Reaction score
Italians, particularly the southern variety, are fashion buffoons. It's hard to take them seriously.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italians wear English shoes. Nothing to see here, move on.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Northern Italians are Anglo wanna bees. Not worth considering.

Originally Posted by Boswell
Italians, particularly the southern variety, are fashion buffoons. It's hard to take them seriously.

confused.gif

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't a discussion of nationality, it's a discussion of class.

Looch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
This isn't a discussion of nationality, it's a discussion of class.

I believe you've just demonstrated you have none.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Looch
I believe you've just demonstrated you have none.
What are you on about? The OP talks about Italy when actually it is a discussion of sociological class, as the party he attended apparently consisted of the social elite of italy.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Fashion, probably. Style, probably not.

x2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads