• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comparing Brooks Brothers

codetomorrow

Reaction score
I did some searching but didn't really find anything.
Are there any comprehensive posts which compare the Brooks Brothers suit lines in terms of quality?

1818 Collection
- Regent
- Fitzgerald
- Madison
- Milano
Golden Fleece
Brooks Ease
Suiting Essentials
Black Fleece

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out of that list, Golden Fleece and Black Fleece will be tops, usually full canvas construction. Then the 1818 Collection, then I don't think there's anything redeeming about the brooksease or the suiting essentials.

I have noticed that some of the most recent Golden Fleece items are now made in china, but I do not know if that is the direction of the entire line.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1818 is half-canvassed.GF was made by Martin Greenfield until about a year ago.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is GF made now?

codetomorrow

Reaction score
I thought brooks brothers was a really great brand of suits? Starting to not sound like that's true..

Grenadier

Reaction score
The half-canvassed 1818 line is a really great workhorse suit that is well-cut, made with nice fabric, and can be had for a very reasonable price. They are all made by Southwick in the USA now.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like the GF stuff and have a couple of their suits.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
I personally like the GF stuff and have a couple of their suits.

X2

I would even say the fabric is softer than my Isaia!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Where is GF made now?

Made in Italy, some on this forum have stated Caruso is the manufacturer.

RevisIsland

Reaction score
To clarify on some of the above posts

1. This may or may not be true: I was told by a bb employee at flagship store that greenfield still makes some gf suits
2. Today, most gf suits are southwick and some of the regent gf suits are Italian--I believe they no longer make the regent cut in gf but you can still find some on clearance)
2. Just because it says made in Italy does not mean it was done by Caruso
3. About 1/3 of the gf suits at flagship store on Madison are made by Greenfield
4. all greenfield suits are Madison style
5. When picking out a suit the greenfield suits are easily distinguishable by the button holes---clearly hand tailored.

Also 1818 suits are either made by southwick in USA or in Italy. The only style that is always made in USA is the Madison. Also I don't believe the Milano style has been done by southwick. Fitz and regent can be either or.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by codetomorrow
I thought brooks brothers was a really great brand of suits? Starting to not sound like that's true..

They are a great brand but like a lot of large companies they have a lot of 'variety' in their offerings. Their top end is terrific while their lower end is closer to mass produced stuff. But it's all good when compared to their price point IMO.

Of course this is style forum....nothing is worth retail.

phailing101

Reaction score
Its also worth noting that their suits are seemingly NEVER at full price. They have sales back to back quite a bit.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
They are a great brand but like a lot of large companies they have a lot of 'variety' in their offerings. Their top end is terrific while their lower end is closer to mass produced stuff. But it's all good when compared to their price point IMO.

Of course this is style forum....nothing is worth retail.

I agree with this. I will say that when it comes to suits, there are much better routes out there in my opinion, like Samuelsohn MTM. I love Brooks Brothers for shirts, sweaters, and odd trousers, though. Admittedly, I have never owned any Golden Fleece stuff (except a wonderful burgundy smoking jacket) so I can't speak to that line.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RevisIsland
The only style that is always made in USA is the Madison. Also I don't believe the Milano style has been done by southwick. Fitz and regent can be either or.

I'm pretty sure I have a made in Italy Madison. I'll double-check when I get home. It is 2-3 years old.

Alex C

Reaction score
I just bought two 1818 Fitzgeralds on Black Friday. Both are tagged as "Made in Italy." There's a Brooks 1818 Fitzgerald tag on one side of the lining and the other lists some Italian firm. Not sure if it's fabric or maker. I'll check when I get home if anyone is interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads