• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

2balls

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
Micro and macro have nothing to do with finance, for the most part. I find micro excruciating, econ in general really, as it's so theoretical. (*awaiting economist attacks*)

An MBA in finance means loads of soft classes, some intro finance courses, some slightly advanced finance courses, a course in stats/econometrics and a micro/macro econ hybrid class. We have English majors doing an MBA in finance. If you want to do some coursework, a refresher in stats or an Intro to Accounting or Finance would be better, I think.

Thanks for the advice.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anyone get any accepts yet from schools? So far only bad news for me.

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I wonder how much pre-MBA experience matters when applying for jobs post-MBA.

A friend of mine had his older sister go to HBS right after college. She has "meh" grades (3.1 or similar) and from a decent but unspectacular university in eastern Canada. She was in the reserves during school, but still, that's not huge.

However, she found a really nice job upon graduation (Undergrad in 2004, HBS grad in 2006). Would her pre-MBA experience have much of an impact in her job search?

Getting a good PE job without previous finance experience (Consulting, IB) would be hard, even coming from a top business school. Getting an associate position at a BB IB is not nearly as hard.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
Anyone get any accepts yet from schools? So far only bad news for me.

I applied rd 2 at 5 schools. I won't hear anything until march at earliest.

I'm considering adding a couple for rd 3. I know odds are much worse, but I'm a non-traditional "artsy" applicant with strong academics/gmat/experience. I get the impression that it evens out across rounds for weirdos like me. If anyone thinks that's wrong please say so.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My impression of round 3 (last round) was that its basically the schools' backup round. they are waiting for Ben Bernanke's son to apply. I don't think having an unconventional background will help. That said, if you have credentials (GMAT and GPA) and the school is not that prestigious, then they might want you.

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
My impression of round 3 (last round) was that its basically the schools' backup round. they are waiting for Ben Bernanke's son to apply. I don't think having an unconventional background will help. That said, if you have credentials (GMAT and GPA) and the school is not that prestigious, then they might want you.

Yep. Round 3/4 (depending on the school) is mostly used to fill necessary gaps (race, gender, employment sector) and to grab up top students that didn't make it into a better school Rd 1/2. Last year, most top schools did little admitting in round 3/4. I got a personal phone call from UNC telling me that applying late resulted in a waitlist when applying Round 2 would have been an admit + scholarship. Nice to hear, I guess.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine had his older sister go to HBS right after college. She has "meh" grades (3.1 or similar) and from a decent but unspectacular university in eastern Canada. She was in the reserves during school, but still, that's not huge.

She got into HBS with a 3.1 GPA? How? What Canadian university did she attend?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim

3.1 or lower.

Renaissance College. It's a 3 year leadership undergrad degree. It's subpar in things taught I though. It's liberal arts, leadership studies.,Not great education, though when I attended a few classes (determining what university I wanted) it seemed very Harvard like. Case studies, small classes, etc.

BC2012

Reaction score

Canada is also known for having notorious grade deflation compared to the US. And if she had a high GMAT plus an interesting story (and she's a woman - that's equiv. to being a minority applicant) I can see it. Harvard has like 1000 kids in a class and you need to round it out with "interesting" people.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
GRE is way easier, definite arb opp there

it's not easier. The math portion is easier, verbal is tough as ****.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3.1 or lower.

Renaissance College. It's a 3 year leadership undergrad degree. It's subpar in things taught I though. It's liberal arts, leadership studies.,Not great education, though when I attended a few classes (determining what university I wanted) it seemed very Harvard like. Case studies, small classes, etc.

I went to Queen's University at Kingston. Not a bad school.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flyingdays
To me , GRE is way much more difficult than GMAT

The relative difficulty of the verbal part is debatable. But the math part of both exams are a joke, esp if you've been educated outside the US (in an educational system where you actually learn something). I found high school math (at A-level under the British system) to be far more difficult and challenging that anything either GRE or GMAT have thrown at me. Simultaneous equations on a graduate school admissions test? Seriously!!

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The relative difficulty of the verbal part is debatable. But the math part of both exams are a joke, esp if you've been educated outside the US (in an educational system where you actually learn something). I found high school math (at A-level under the British system) to be far more difficult and challenging that anything either GRE or GMAT have thrown at me. Simultaneous equations on a graduate school admissions test? Seriously!!

What did you get on the GMAT quant section? If 50 or above then your opinion means something. If not, then I say the same thing I said to FLMM, which is you didn't see the harder questions.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
What did you get on the GMAT quant section? If 50 or above then your opinion means something. If not, then I say the same thing I said to FLMM, which is you didn't see the harder questions.

Good point. I got a 97th percentile in GMAT's quant and 93rd percentile in GRE's quant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads