• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made to order shirts

intlnews

Reaction score
Who make the best made to order dress shirts at the most competitive prices? Off the rack doesn't fit me very well. They are either too tight or too loose. I would like wrinkle free if possible too. Also, how do I get my measurements? I was told I could walk into a BB or Nordstrom store, but I doubt they'd just take my measurements, give them to me and let me leave without a purchase.

Any advice on how to proceed?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the best shirt will not be sold at the most competetive price if you need the best it will cost you, there are good shirts at competetive prices. and yes you are correct that you wont get measured without a purchase unless you pull some douchery like asking questions as they measure and then just walking out. if you want you can find someone who will charge you to take proper measurments and shop online with those measurements from some of the affiliates at the top of the SF page

good luck

ps asking who is the best can be a dangerous question as it is highly subjective

intlnews

Reaction score
Any particular sites I should check out? I am going to check out modertailor, but any other recs would be appreciated.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like in stiches said, "best" is very subjective and will definitely not come cheap. How much are you willing to spend? Also, you're in Boston? I'm sure you can find a tailor or shirtmaker there that will measure you, then have them make you a shirt.
smile.gif
Or, there are very specific instructions on several of the online MTM shirt maker websites that will tell you how to measure yourself. All you need is a measuring tape and another person's help.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong here, but there is a clear difference between made-to-order and made-to-measure. If the OP is having problems with fit, then made-to-measure is what he is looking for. I believe made-to-order is simply choosing some of the details of the shirt, but it comes in a pretty standard OTR fit for whatever size you are. Just need to be sure you use the right terminology.

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrInvariant
Here you go.

I'm looking to give Nialma a try next. They are more expensive than MT, but hopefully higher quality.

It should not be so hard! +1 on nialma - worth the extra few $'s

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Just find a local tailor and order a couple nice MTMs from someone who will properly measure you and who will fix the shirt if it's not to your liking. My tailor's shirts start at $125, and he occasionally runs specials (currently 4 for $400). Judging from all the mediocre results I've seen from online MTM, both shirts and suits, I personally don't think the savings are significant enough to justify the risk and hassle involved.

Mike147

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessis
It should not be so hard!

+1 on nialma - worth the extra few $'s

Have you guys dealt with them yet? Wondering where the shirts are made and if they charge additional for shipping/handling, etc.

Do you know if their collars and cuffs are fused or un-fused?

katematt

Reaction score
You could go onto www.jhilburn.com and find a style advisor in your area. MTM, wide selection, very competitive price wise and the quality is very good.

They also have a variety of belts, sweaters and pants.

Full disclosure - my wife is a style advison in NJ, but I am happy with the cloths I have received.

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike147
Have you guys dealt with them yet? Wondering where the shirts are made and if they charge additional for shipping/handling, etc.

Do you know if their collars and cuffs are fused or un-fused?

My shirts came from Hong KOng. I think the shipping cost was $13.00 or something close anyway - that was for the 4 shirts for 3. Collar and cuffs on mine are fused.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
Just find a local tailor and order a couple nice MTMs from someone who will properly measure you and who will fix the shirt if it's not to your liking. My tailor's shirts start at $125, and he occasionally runs specials (currently 4 for $400). Judging from all the mediocre results I've seen from online MTM, both shirts and suits, I personally don't think the savings are significant enough to justify the risk and hassle involved.

+100. I've been down this road before and its much better to find a local tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads