• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventures in sobriety

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So...I am taking a break from booze. A month to start, maybe two or more. Been two days now.

I have basically been drinking regularly for the last 25 years...probably 10-20 drinks a week. My capacity for alcohol is strong so I don't get drunk very often..and I rarely, if ever, drink alone. I have never considered myself an alcoholic but I am sure that I am by many standards...and I think stopping cold turkey will be tough. But I quit smoking around 4 years ago after 20 years of heavy puffing so I think I can handle it. Also, I am alpha as phuck.

The problem is I have to lose some weight...my goal is to drop at least 10kg in the next year. I am nearly 45 and I am worried about my health. I, thankfully, have a lot to live for.

In this thread...let's see if I can pull this off.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
good luck.. but you're alpha as phuck so you don't need luck.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
good luck Eric. I do this from time to time as well - normally just a couple of weeks, and it's not easy. It's the social part of it that I found most awkward. Like...all your friends are drinking, so the waitress goes around the table 'vodka, vodka, Heineken, long island ice tea, whiskey, diet pepsi, HUH?' so you need a ready made excuse (doing it for a bet is a good one, antibiotics isn't bad either). There is also a difference between 'having a drink' and drinking. Like...a glass of wine with dinner to me isn't drinking...but technically, that's a breach, so your friends split the bottle and you sit there feeling lame with your water again. I also had a client call a three day strategy seminar while I was on a no-drink-kick. A lot of French people, and at the end, they celebrated it with champagne...it was super hard to say no to that. It would have been frowned upon too - anti-team-spirit sort of thing...so I took it and broke the rule. But you do get one amazing realisation. When everyone except you is hammered, something dawns on you....you look around and think 'my god...my friends aren't funny at all' Anyhow, good luck man, keep the thread posted with the trials and tribulations of drinking OJ all the time (hint - put it in a short glass, tell people there's vodka in it...works with Coke too
smile.gif
)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My alcohol consumption has slowly and consistently decreased after school to a point where I think I have an average of one drink a week. I now get drunk after 2 drinks like a teenager.
laugh.gif

Good luck Alter. And don't drink OJ all the time - that's not going to help you with the weight loss.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The biggest incentive for me to take a break from drinking would be to increase my savings rate from zero to at least $500 a month. I'd also be able to shop more often. Oh and meet quality women.

Wow, writing that just made me consider this seriously.
uhoh.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
The biggest incentive for me to take a break from drinking would be to increase my savings rate from zero to at least $500 a month. I'd also be able to shop more often. Oh and meet quality women.

uhoh.gif

actually the upshot to sobriety is you go bars where all the women are hammered and the men are stumbling drunken fools...and you are suddenly the funniest, wittiest man in the room to these girls. Well...I am anyhow....you...maybe notsomuch
smile.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My alcohol consumption has slowly and consistently decreased after school to a point where I think I have an average of one drink a week. I now get drunk after 2 drinks like a teenager.
laugh.gif

ya, but when we were kids, we would bounce back from hangovers by like lunchtime. Now they kill days.

Good luck Alter. And don't drink OJ all the time - that's not going to help you with the weight loss.
ya, see this is tough too. You can't go out for after work drinks and order water. It just...well...you just can't. And all the things you can order are not going to help with the weight loss. Still, almost anything is better than beer in that regard.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(diet) Coke with a wedge of lime is great camouflage.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can definitely do it!

I know first hand.

It is generally easier to quit with support systems. 12 Step programs are the most popular but they are not the only support systems out there. I am absolutely sure there are on line boards dedicated to quitting alcohol and other things too, these days.

And it is possible to just quit cold turkey as you have alluded to. I have seen it a lot but it is generally more difficult to quit that way.

Did you gain the weight after you gave up smoking? That is common too. I have gained weight and there is really no reason for it.

Good luck. You absolutely can quit if you want to. Filling the place that alcohol supplied in your life would be very helpful too.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
good luck.. but you're alpha as phuck so you don't need luck.

Ex-phucking-actly!

Originally Posted by Matt

It's the social part of it that I found most awkward.

Yea...I am guessing this is going to be the hardest part...my work and social life is full of drinking occasions and I am usually at the center of it. Thankfully, the wife is off booze at the moment so it should be easier to drink less at home.

Originally Posted by gdl203
laugh.gif

That is my goal...to get back to being able to enjoy a glass of wine with a nice meal or a cold beer at the beach instead of the full bottle of wine and the case of beer.

Originally Posted by Jodum5

uhoh.gif

Yea..the money aspect helps too. C'mon Jodum...join the adventure! Just one month...I challenge thee!

ya, see this is tough too. You can't go out for after work drinks and order water. It just...well...you just can't. And all the things you can order are not going to help with the weight loss. Still, almost anything is better than beer in that regard.

This is where living in Japan is great. So many people that need to drink for social reasons but don't have a strong capacity to drink. There is a recent boom in fake beers that have no alcohol or calories. So it is easy to have a beer-like drink in front of you..and they taste a lot better than those near-beers that are available in the US, etc. I had one of the Suntory ones tonight.
856-DS-Fake-beer_MG_4645.jpg

BenR

Reaction score
I gave up alcohol recently as well; it has been about a week. My main problem was that I knew so many bartenders/bar owners that I pretty much never had to pay for anything. I turn my back and my beer that was almost empty is full to the brim. Cocktails always are pretty much straight alcohol.

Finally realized that it was going to kill me eventually last week. I had no recollection of the previous night; I awoke at a friends house missing my coat, and apparently I blacked out, did a line of coke, and ate several heart shaped pills offered to me some old man. Good friend of mine thought I was going to die; he said my eyes rolled into the back of my head.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not getting drunk for 2 weeks. After 2-3 weeks of almost drunk everyday and a conversation with 2 different people about a drinking problem, I'm demonstrating I don't have a problem. It sucks
frown.gif

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually the upshot to sobriety is you go bars where all the women are hammered and the men are stumbling drunken fools...and you are suddenly the funniest, wittiest man in the room to these girls. Well...I am anyhow....you...maybe notsomuch
smile.gif

Yeah, but when I drink, I am the funniest, wittiest guy in the whole room. Probably the best-looking one too.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good luck, like greg, I have pretty much given up drinking, aside from the small amounts of wine and the occasional drink. I actually have gone with half soda half diet coke or diet gingerale with ice when I need to drink socially - it looks a lot like a scotch. but it really does help with the weight loss.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
It is generally easier to quit with support systems...
Good luck. You absolutely can quit if you want to. Filling the place that alcohol supplied in your life would be very helpful too.

Woah there! We're talking about suspending drinking activities not ending them completely.

I don't drink much on my own. Sure sometimes, a drink or three while watching tv during the week or if home on weekends but I don't get lit. It's the partying aspect. So far this week I haven't gone out so haven't spent any money but last week... Out tuesday (friend back in town) + Thurs (bachelor party) + Friday (NYE) + Saturday (Wedding) = ~$400 in drinking. Maybe I should start with cutting out the shots and sticking to two nights a week? Yes, I prefer this plan.

But this sounds like a very good challenge. Maybe when planning a trip to Europe and looking to save money before hand I'll pursue it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads