• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manila Tailor

jcella

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i know this thread's been inactive for a long while but i managed to unearth it because of my present needs. I hope you guys can help.

I was wondering where i could have a couple of minor alterations done on a suit i got. I read about the tailor in EDSA Shang and was wondering if they do suit alterations as well?

I just have to have the sleeves shortened a bit and the roll below the back of the collar fixed.

Also, does Cornell do alterations?

Thank you for your time and patience on my query.

Distance

Reaction score
I'll be in Manilla this Saturday and would like to get a decent suit bespoken. Reading the thread it looks like my choices are Cornell's or bbaquiran's Tailor (who does not seem to be mentioned in the thread (unless it is greg centeno? would love to have that confirmed as the pictures posted look suitable and several members seemed very happy with that tailor's work. Also Sarto who's blog looks very nice looked like a possiblitliy http://sartoman.blogspot.com/ I would love to hear a review. I currently live in South Korea and I've had several suits and coats bespoken here and I've been very happy with all but one and that was my fault as the material just didn't look as nice on the suit as it did on the roll. I would greatly appreciate any further advice you have on the who's who of manilla.

Distance

Reaction score
Also If possible I'd love to get a recommendation on where to get hats as well as gloves made.

Thank you again for your advice and help. Would love to buy a beer for anyone in the area that can point me in the right direction.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the thread is alive again. Distance, this is my tailor: http://themanilahaberdasher.tumblr.com/ He says he also makes hats, although I haven't seen any samples. As you can see from his blog he's been working on leather goods lately. I went to Cornell's (this is emptym's tailor here) earlier today to get a test shirt done. Fitting is next Tuesday. They don't have a huge selection of shirting fabrics, so I'll probably do some fabric shopping before my next visit.

emptym

Reaction score
Interesting. That's my first look at that sarto blog, I think. Do you, BB, or Acidboy know him? (edit: He advocates wearing corduroy in Manila?!)

Good luck w/ your shirt at Cornell's, B. I really like Cornell's, but as w/ all tailors, it's best to try one thing and then make adjustments. His typical style is to duplicate rtw stuff. I'm still very happy w/ my shirts, pants, and washable linen sport coat from him.

I've never tried, but would like to try Toppers at 277 Katipunan, across from Ateneo. He does canvased coats. You'd probably want to bring your own fabric though.

bbaquiran's tailor's a great guy, and I love the shoes I got from him, but my other stuff has been sitting in limbo at US customs, due to too much tape! I hope to receive it some day.

With all of these guys, make sure you have plenty of time in case there are delays.

For fabric, my favorite places are Fanbi and a few stalls on Kamuning.

mfais

Reaction score
hey emptym, same deal with me! i ordered a bag back in december but then there was problems with customs
frown.gif
really bummed. not really concered though this is probably the 3rd item ive ordered from him and the others have gotten here quick. this is the only one....

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did he ship the stuff to you guys? I'll bring this up with him later. He's dropping by my place before he goes out of town again.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I've never tried, but would like to try Toppers at 277 Katipunan, across from Ateneo. He does canvased coats. You'd probably want to bring your own fabric though.

Toppers made my club some varsity jackets back when I was in college. Didn't know they did anything aside from sportswear and screen printed t-shirts.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfais
hey emptym, same deal with me! i ordered a bag back in december but then there was problems with customs
frown.gif
really bummed. not really concered though this is probably the 3rd item ive ordered from him and the others have gotten here quick. this is the only one....

Ya, I'm sure he'll deliver, but the delay is a pain.
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
How did he ship the stuff to you guys? I'll bring this up with him later. He's dropping by my place before he goes out of town again.
Oh thanks B, but probably no need. I can't remember which company he went with, but US customs said the package had too much tape and looked like a bomb, so it was sitting somewhere.
Toppers made my club some varsity jackets back when I was in college. Didn't know they did anything aside from sportswear and screen printed t-shirts.
Oh neat. I just stopped by one day on the way to the MRT. They make jeans, suits, everything it seems. The shop wasn't fancy, but their products looked pretty good.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, I'm sure he'll deliver, but the delay is a pain.

Oh thanks B, but probably no need. I can't remember which company he went with, but US customs said the package had too much tape and looked like a bomb, so it was sitting somewhere.

Oh. That sucks.

Anyway he dropped by my place last night to show me some really nice leather accessories he's been working on (like a case for his sunglasses made from cordovan) and to let me know he now has a new machine that will let him make polo shirts. Also I'm having two pairs of trousers made.

Distance, I told him to check his email before he heads out of town. You should probably try to call/text him once you're here as well.

Distance

Reaction score
Thanks BB. I spoke to him and unfortunately I won't have enough time for the required fittings.
However I'll be stopping by Cornell's on Saturday with a very specific list of how I would like my suit made so hopefully things will turn out well.

Don't suppose anyone knows someone other that haberdasher who could fashion a pair of leather gloves?

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcella
Also, does Cornell do alterations?

Thank you for your time and patience on my query.

Oops. Sorry I and the rest of us seem to have missed this. I don't know if he'll do alterations. He's the only normal shop I've worked with in Manila.
Anyway he dropped by my place last night to show me some really nice leather accessories he's been working on (like a case for his sunglasses made from cordovan) and to let me know he now has a new machine that will let him make polo shirts. Also I'm having two pairs of trousers made.
Real shell cordovan? Where was it from? He thought he could get it made in Manila, but never showed me any. Polo shirts as in US or PI terminology?

Lucky stinker.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Distance
Thanks BB. I spoke to him and unfortunately I won't have enough time for the required fittings.
However I'll be stopping by Cornell's on Saturday with a very specific list of how I would like my suit made so hopefully things will turn out well.

Don't suppose anyone knows someone other that haberdasher who could fashion a pair of leather gloves?

I think brining some photos of how you want the suit to look would really help. No idea about the gloves, unfortunately.

Real shell cordovan? Where was it from? He thought he could get it made in Manila, but never showed me any. Polo shirts as in US or PI terminology?

Oops, my mistake. The sunglass case was cow leather. But it was still very nice. He still imports his leather and most of the fabric. Definitely all of his wool is imported, as it's very hard to find pure wool here. I think he mentioned a while back that he could get shell cordovan, but that's probably another import.

Polo shirt as in US terminology.

aon

Reaction score
What is the price range of a suit in Cornell's?

I don't recommend Toppers. They used to make nice fitting clothes but starting around 2007 they started messing things up. There was a time one of my trousers got lost and they were only able to find it after 1.5 months. They're very cheap though. But you get what you paid for.

emptym

Reaction score
I think brining some photos of how you want the suit to look would really help. No idea about the gloves, unfortunately. Oops, my mistake. The sunglass case was cow leather. But it was still very nice. He still imports his leather and most of the fabric. Definitely all of his wool is imported, as it's very hard to find pure wool here. I think he mentioned a while back that he could get shell cordovan, but that's probably another import. Polo shirt as in US terminology.
Makes sense. Thanks, B.
Originally Posted by aon
What is the price range of a suit in Cornell's? I don't recommend Toppers. They used to make nice fitting clothes but starting around 2007 they started messing things up. There was a time one of my trousers got lost and they were only able to find it after 1.5 months. They're very cheap though. But you get what you paid for.
CMT at Cornell's is about 5,500 PP. I think Topper's is almost twice that for a canvased suit, so around $200. I've only been to Toppers once and that was in July. Stuff looked pretty good then, but I wasn't trying anything on. Do you have a new favorite tailor? The guys at Kamuning had some suggestions, but I didn't have time to check them out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads