• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Flea Spray

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a naive question, but I just bought a black off-the-peg suit jacket that has a loosely stitched blue thread across the top of the shoulders. I've seen this sort of thing before on more expensive jackets, but it's never been on one I've bought before. So what is it and what's it for?

I assume I'm supposed to cut it off, as it's the same blue thread that's been used to loosely stitch the side vents shut.

I've attached a photo.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flea Spray
Sorry if this is a naive question, but I just bought a black off-the-peg suit jacket that has a loosely stitched blue thread across the top of the shoulders. I've seen this sort of thing before on more expensive jackets, but it's never been on one I've bought before. So what is it and what's it for?

I assume I'm supposed to cut it off, as it's the same blue thread that's been used to loosely stitch the side vents shut.

I've attached a photo.

Cut it off. Not sure what its utility is, I'm guessing mostly eye-catching (eg how Isaia is red).

yesssir

Reaction score
How do I upload an image on this forum? Every time I try it says my file is too large.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi
Is a pair of resoled vintage FLORSHEIM inferior to the one with orginal soles? I have an eye on a pair of wingtips on ebay.

As long as the resoling was done well, they should be fine.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flea Spray

I've attached a photo.

It's called basting. As Deadly7 says, just remove it.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whizod
1) The soles of these boots have absolutely no grip on them, what can you guys suggest to add grip to these shoes?

Leather soles? Walking around in them/scuffing up the soles a bit will help. Take them to a cobbler and have topy put on. If they are not leather and they have not traction, no idea.

2) The left boot feels tight where the laces begin at the bottom, and so when the boot flexes the crease formed pinches down against my foot. Is there something I can do about this?
If that does not get better after a few wears, describe it to your cobbler, stretching a little may help.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Erlendsen
Okay, thanks for the help! I got inspired by the movie American Psycho, where Patrick Bateman wears a black tuxedo, that kind of shirt, and a bow tie. Is that a fashion faux pas?
It can be done, but it's not the usual thing these days. If you do it, you must wear a tied bow tie, not one of those clip on things. And it looks much better with a shirt with a detachable collar. Wing collar shirts with the attached collar just never look correct. See this: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= This is white tie, but you can see how substantial the collar is: http://ferdyonfilms.com/gosford_park_6.jpg And here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52s...tieWooster.jpg An attached collar will just look more anemic. And here: http://www.blacktieguide.com/Contemporary/Shirt.htm Nice picture of attached vs. detached.

iamjammin

Reaction score
does a white pocket square tv fold have to be paired with a white shirt? Could one do it in the pocket of a tweed jacket, with say, a blue oxford?

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamjammin
does a white pocket square tv fold have to be paired with a white shirt? Could one do it in the pocket of a tweed jacket, with say, a blue oxford?

They do not need to match. It's nice if they complement each other. What you describe sounds fine. I'd maybe go for linen.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamjammin

It goes well with anything, IMO.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I want the finished length of a trouser to be 41" and want 2" cuffs, I need to get the heel guard installed at 45", right ?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
If I want the finished length of a trouser to be 41" and want 2" cuffs, I need to get the heel guard installed at 45", right ?

Yes. But I don't see why you need heel guards though. IMO, heel guards are for 2 things:
- Damage prevention to the bottom. However, this should not be a problem if one's pants are at the correct length (not too long that they get caught under the shoe heels).
- Additional weights: Should the cuffs do a fine job already?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thanks

The trousers are part of a RTW suit and are of the tissue paper variety. As it came with the cloth for the heel guard, I was thinking of getting them added.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads