• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Care for high-end leather goods i.e. Louis Vuitton

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My friend gave me a Louis Vuitton garment bag and there is a little wear and tear on it. It needs to be conditioned and was wondering if anyone could recommend a product. The ends of the bag are dry so I'm assuming a conditioner would work. I read a product called, Obenauf, would work but would I use this on something expensive such as a LV bag?

Please let me know.

Cheers

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can bring it to LV and have them renovate it.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Hello everyone,

My friend gave me a Louis Vuitton garment bag and there is a little wear and tear on it. It needs to be conditioned and was wondering if anyone could recommend a product. The ends of the bag are dry so I'm assuming a conditioner would work. I read a product called, Obenauf, would work but would I use this on something expensive such as a LV bag?

Please let me know.

Cheers

The leather itself (which is probably limited to small pieces of trim) could use any leather conditioner, from Lexol to something more expensive.

But the body of the bag is (likely) canvas, and should just be cleaned with a damp cloth.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
The leather itself (which is probably limited to small pieces of trim) could use any leather conditioner, from Lexol to something more expensive.

But the body of the bag is (likely) canvas, and should just be cleaned with a damp cloth.

A damp cloth? That is it? Interesting.

I'm going to call LV today and ask them how much it would cost or I'm going to put it on ebay. Do you think I should call the store or the 800 number?

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

tj100

Reaction score
A damp cloth? That is it? Interesting.

I'm going to call LV today and ask them how much it would cost or I'm going to put it on ebay. Do you think I should call the store or the 800 number?

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

There's not a lot that you can do with the monogram canvas. It's designed to be somewhat water resistant, so it doesn't absorb conditioners or anything like that.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
There's not a lot that you can do with the monogram canvas. It's designed to be somewhat water resistant, so it doesn't absorb conditioners or anything like that.

Ah. I did see some areas in which the monograms are fading. Should I be concerned or is this just a part of the wear and tear of leather goods?

I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Common for leather goods, yes if not cared for properly. Common for canvas, who knows. It's a synthetic and there is really no way to restore it (per se). Perhaps you should call LV to see if there is such a conditioner for canvas.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Ah. I did see some areas in which the monograms are fading. Should I be concerned or is this just a part of the wear and tear of leather goods?

I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

I don't think you quite understood the previous post re: the monogram canvas. It isn't actually leather at all - it's canvas.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I did misunderstand. But it feels like leather! Haha.

I spoke to LV and they said to bring it down. Typical restoration would run around $250. I don't know if it's worth it anymore.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ They are also neglecting to tell you it takes about 8 years to get it back from being serviced.

Im guessing the label on the inside says its made by the French Company for LV? Made in USA? If so, dont expect a fortune for it on eBay. That was from the 80's licencee years which were cheaply made and diluted to ****.

amirite?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always, you know... use it as a garment bag. I have a LV garment bag in burgundy taiga leather, and it has served me well for years.

buddha123

Reaction score
^
the difference is burgundy taiga is one of the few acceptable lines, monogram canvass is certainly not.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
You could always, you know... use it as a garment bag. I have a LV garment bag in burgundy taiga leather, and it has served me well for years.

Yeah, actually using it as a garment bag is probably the best and only option. If it were the burgundy, I could take it on a plane if needed. The monogram print is a little much for the airport, imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics