• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question regarding Allen Edmonds sizing?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've searched through the forum but I've an odd question. I went to Nordstroms just to try on some AE's to find out what my size is. Well, I tried on a 9.5 D and it was tight on the sides. However, when the sales associate measured my foot, he said my foot size was a 8.5 D.

I'm confused. Why would a 9.5D AE Park Avenue be "tight" although my "proper" size is a 8.5D?

Can anyone explain please b/c I'd like to purchase some AE's but would like to know my exact size before hand?

Cheers

hobo_ken

Reaction score
You can't compare sizes amongst different manufacturers.

Furthermore, you may wear a 9 or 9.5 in AEs depending on which last was used.

Claus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
However, when the sales associate measured my foot, he said my foot size was a 8.5 D.

On the Brannock devise, I suppose.

Did you stand upright while your measurements were taken?

runner-guy

Reaction score
Not sure why there was such a difference for you. Maybe he measured you wrong? I own two pairs of the AE Van Ness, which uses the Executive Last-2, and I've found them pretty true to size.

glum

Reaction score
the last used to make the park avenue (as well as other popular allen edmond shoes) is a narrow last. a search will reveal that many forum members, includeing me, go one size wider for this last.

ns7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by glum
the last used to make the park avenue (as well as other popular allen edmond shoes) is a narrow last. a search will reveal that many forum members, includeing me, go one size wider for this last.

Agreed, you may have to go down in size and go up in width. Also, I think the instep might be low on the PA last so you might want to look into that.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Claus
On the Brannock devise, I suppose.

Did you stand upright while your measurements were taken?

Yes, on the Brannock and I was standing up.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ns7
Agreed, you may have to go down in size and go up in width. Also, I think the instep might be low on the PA last so you might want to look into that.

Go down in size but up in width? Interesting. I was thinking stay at 9.5 but up to E width. I'm thinking he measured me wrong although I did see the #'s on the device.

Thanks again everyone.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by glum

I just bought a pair of Strands (
inlove.gif
) which are built on the #5 last. The same last as the Park Ave. The Brannock device has me at 10.5 E but the Strands are super comfy in size 10.5 D. I own a pair of the Bryon in 10.5 D and they're a bit on the narrow side (last #4).

Claus

Reaction score
Yes, on the Brannock and I was standing up.

Thanks!
smile.gif

If you were sitting, this would have explained quite a bit on the difference. But so...

In my opinion, if a shoes doesn't fit in the measured size (provided it's been taken properly), the last simply isn't made for your feet. If one tries to compensate such a "misfit" by going up in size (ie. shoe lenght), the consequences seem to be higher strain on the joints of your feet and legs, faster abrasion of the tip of the sole, and deeper creases.

If you still want the PA, try a few other sizes before you buy. According to your remarks, (US) 9.0 EE or EEE, or maybe a (US) 8.5 EEE would be worth a try.

Hope this helps.

ns7

Reaction score
Go down in size but up in width? Interesting. I was thinking stay at 9.5 but up to E width. I'm thinking he measured me wrong although I did see the #'s on the device.

Thanks again everyone.

It is a long but skinny last. Just make sure it feels right before you purchase. Or purchase from Nordstrom, break them in at home, and return them if they feel wrong.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Claus
Thanks!
smile.gif

If you were sitting, this would have explained quite a bit on the difference. But so...

In my opinion, if a shoes doesn't fit in the measured size (provided it's been taken properly), the last simply isn't made for your feet. If one tries to compensate such a "misfit" by going up in size (ie. shoe lenght), the consequences seem to be higher strain on the joints of your feet and legs, faster abrasion of the tip of the sole, and deeper creases.

If you still want the PA, try a few other sizes before you buy. According to your remarks, (US) 9.0 EE or EEE, or maybe a (US) 8.5 EEE would be worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the helpful info, especially regarding the strain on the joints. I never thought about that. Maybe the Park's and 5th's arent for me? =/

I do love the look of those shoes. I guess I need to find the proper last for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads