• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tchoy
A pair of Saint Crispins to start off the New Year. These are by far the best shoes that I have ever own, including Edward Greens and John Lobbs.

Nice! They look gorgeous. Out of curiosity, what separates them from JL and EG? The fit? The construction?

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Nice! They look gorgeous. Out of curiosity, what separates them from JL and EG? The fit? The construction?

Thanks David, I have to say both. My feet are good candidate for bespoke shoes but living in Sydney is logiscally impossible. I am what are typical Asian feet wider at the forefeet and narrow heels and the left is wider than the right. Through a very competent fitter, I was able to use a stock last and add fitting pieces to the forefeet and also making the left shoe slightly wider. The outcome was exceptional to me a close to bespoke shoe without the price and all this took eight weeks. I have a pair of EG on order since June and still don't have them.

As for constructions to my untrained eye. The leather SC uses are slightly better than EG and JL. The way they make the shoe the arch has a stiffer support than other English makers. For me this stops the arch from collapsing after prolong use through the years. The antiques finish is also exceptional.

You can say I am pretty thrilled with the SC shoes. Have to say the people at SC and the agent here in Sydney has been fantastic. They will bend over backwards to try to accommodate you on getting a better fitting shoes

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my St Crispins, the arch is really the star of the show

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Price from The Armoury (HK based store run by fellow SF'ers yfyf and toiletduck) is approx $500 + shipping from HK. See the link to the Armoury at the top of this page.

Last is called the Simpson last, it's a chiseled toe last, similar in shape to the C&J 337 last - not as elongated as the C&J 348 last. It has very balanced proportions which I like. Seems to be a last of average width, not particularly narrow or wide (they have an Inca last which I'm told is wider and an Alcudia last which I'm told is narrower although it's not obvious from the pics.)

Style as you can see is the classic semi-brogue - this is the type of shoe that goes with anything.

Thnks Fidel - this is good news. I contacted Carmina directly and was quoted a much higher price. The shoes look great and that last suits this oxford style.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4qg3nd.jpg

color 4 and black saddle

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcarthur
4qg3nd.jpg

color 4 and black saddle

Dual colored shoes (or whatever they're called) ain't my thang but those are spectacular.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Dual colored shoes (or whatever they're called) ain't my thang but those are spectacular.

AEs have done the Shelton in a similar coloured combo.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcarthur
4qg3nd.jpg

color 4 and black saddle

The Blucher + Saddle shoe is a strange combination. #4 is definitely a rare beast though. Enjoy!

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Testoni split-toe, a solid made shoe.
worship.gif

20110106_2045.jpg
[/IMG]
20110106_2048.jpg
[/IMG]
20110106_2047.jpg
[/IMG]

Andrew W

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madstaxbro
Comfort last in likelihood.

Also Andrew W are those patterned wholecuts in your second upload a commissioned work? They'd look amazing if you ever decide to sell any more like that pair.

Thanks for the kind words. I made them for myself. I'm an self taught amateur shoemaker and fine artist ever seeking to improve my chops. I hope to become professional someday. I will be doing more like that wholecut adorned with graphics. I will be making other designs and will post them of course. I will do more standard traditional styles strictly to wear myself because one isn't always in a fancy mood and a pair of dark brogues is always nice.

Andrew W

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Is there a reason the toes are so square?

Yes, the only lasts I could get my hands on were from an American bootmaker who bought up standard lasts from a shoe factory. They are not the most exciting last. My first choice would be some Springline lasts in the Cleverly chisel toe style or perhaps some almond toe ones. The budget is a little tight and I would rather spend the money on fine vegetable tanned leather while I pursue my studies and practice making. But soon I will get some more lasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads