• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jury duty

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
being called for jury duty tomorrow for the 2nd time in 3 months.

Not looking forward to it.

the big question is dress up or down for it?

and goofy facial hair or clean shaven?

(here was my look for the last appearance... I did not get picked)
15490517163690750231412.jpg

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
being called for jury duty tomorrow for the 2nd time in 3 months.

Not looking forward to it.

the big question is dress up or down for it?

and goofy facial hair or clean shaven?

(here was my look for the last appearance... I did not get picked)
15490517163690750231412.jpg

Definitely dress down if you don't want to be picked during selection. I learned that the hard way this past summer.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Definitely dress down if you don't want to be picked during selection. I learned that the hard way this past summer.

I'm not opposed to being picked, it'd actually be a nice break from work.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.

Here in Mass. lawyers are not immune from jury duty, and surprisingly some get on panels.

The one time I was called for duty I got there at the last possible minute, and was number 48/48. The first 12 people were empaneled; there was NO voir dire and no one was excused. Could have been me if I got there early. From the judge's description, it sounded like a (civil) insurance fraud case, faked injuries, or just a p.i. kinda thing.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i would get asked to go to jury duty all the time and i hated going and would couple of times provided an excuse.

however past 5 years or so, i never was required to go.
but my work here provides 6 full paid days for jury duty per year, i would love to go. but i never get called for it anymore!

i would love to be sitting on a case that would last 5-6 days.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by facebookdigg123
dress like a slob. guaranteed to not be chosen

Problem is that 95% of people dress like slobs. You would have to really up your slovenly game to stand out as a slob.

transient

Reaction score
Tell the judge you're a racist.

I just got another summons today, I sat on a 10 day murder trial about three years ago and I feel like I've had my fill. I'm about to move so maybe I can pretend I never got it.

katiedaddy

Reaction score
It's so random how they pick a jury. My mother was summoned 3 times even and she does not speak English.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Problem is that 95% of people dress like slobs. You would have to really up your slovenly game to stand out as a slob.

ya I've been thinking about that.... I'm half tempted to wear my tux. I think snobby and condescending might be a good angle to go after.

facebookdigg123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by katiedaddy
It's so random how they pick a jury. My mother was summoned 3 times even and she does not speak English.

same thing with my mom. i think she was summoned 3 times too. do we have the same mother?
laugh.gif

Argyle

Reaction score
Do your jury duty. You will definitely learn something, or perhaps, a lot of somethings.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut

FYI, you still get called (at least in California state courts and the federal courts) if you're a lawyer. And I have made it onto a jury despite being a practicing lawyer, as have colleagues of mine.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use makeup on your face to fake injuries. No one wants to see a beat up juror.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads