• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good leather gloves

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm in the market for a pair of good leather gloves.

I think I'll probably go with shearling lining, as I already have spring/autumn gloves for the less cold periods.

My problem though, is that every time I buy gloves I feel that they turn ugly after not too long. They expand an atrocious ammount, to the point where bordering on too snug becomes way too roomy. Also, the leather gets very wrinkly and ugly.

Am I going for the wrong kind of leather, the wrong leather thickness or what?

Or is it just a question of the quality of the leather?

Last gloves I bought were a pair of black Zegna gloves, so I was expecting them to hold up relatively well.

If you please, could someone inform me of what to look for when buying a new pair to avoid them going the way of the previous pairs? Ie leather type, leather thickness, fit etc...

Thank you in advance

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a very satisfied customer of Chester Jefferies (online) you might want to try them out.
Mine are in cape and silk lined, so probably not what you're after.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
I have some rabbit fur lined gloves from dents, in a dark tan. They are incredibly warm (if anything my hands sometimes become uncomfortable) so will certainly be suitable for the cold weather. I have not had them long, so cannot speak as to their longevity, but the leather is already beginning to crinkle, which I see as no bad thing. I anticipate the gloves will darken slightly, which is another thing I don't mind. Stretching I would find unacceptable, but they have no signs of that yet.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
I have some rabbit fur lined gloves from dents, in a dark tan. They are incredibly warm (if anything my hands sometimes become uncomfortable) so will certainly be suitable for the cold weather. I have not had them long, so cannot speak as to their longevity, but the leather is already beginning to crinkle, which I see as no bad thing. I anticipate the gloves will darken slightly, which is another thing I don't mind. Stretching I would find unacceptable, but they have no signs of that yet.

I have some Dents as well. They got crinkly pretty quick, but it hasn't really affected the durability. The stitching seems very weel done. All in all they are gaining some character, while holding up.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Silverfox
Blah blah................

My problem though, is that every time I buy gloves I feel that they turn ugly after not too long. They expand an atrocious ammount, to the point where bordering on too snug becomes way too roomy. Also, the leather gets very wrinkly and ugly.

Blah.......blah..........

Last gloves I bought were a pair of black Zegna gloves, so I was expecting them to hold up relatively well.

Blah..........

Your problem is that you buy cheap stuff.

Go Hermes.

Then you'd know you've just got the BEST. And when whatever happens that you don't like, you'd know that it's just the way the leather/glove is supposed to do.

DONE.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I have some Dents as well. They got crinkly pretty quick, but it hasn't really affected the durability. The stitching seems very weel done. All in all they are gaining some character, while holding up.

I agree, once they look well worn, I think they look much better, it makes them seem even cosier and more comfortable.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Your problem is that you buy cheap stuff.

Go Hermes.

Then you'd know you've just got the BEST. And when whatever happens that you don't like, you'd know that it's just the way the leather/glove is supposed to do.

DONE.

Will they actually sell the gloves to someone or will someone (not Mafoofan) have to tell us the secret word?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Chester Jefferies. You can send in a tracing of your hands as a pattern for custom creation of your gloves, and so you can get them as close fitting as you'd like.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

According to Luciano, not a problem:

I agree:

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm in the market for a pair of good leather gloves.

I think I'll probably go with shearling lining, as I already have spring/autumn gloves for the less cold periods.

Am I going for the wrong kind of leather, the wrong leather thickness or what?

Or is it just a question of the quality of the leather?

If you please, could someone inform me of what to look for when buying a new pair to avoid them going the way of the previous pairs? Ie leather type, leather thickness, fit etc...

Thank you in advance

This is simply how gloves react to wear.

I highly recommend the Italy made gloves of Madova. Bought my first pair a couple of months ago, the leather is stunning and the cashmere lining super soft. They also make shearling if that's what you're going for.

For pictures and info, see this post: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=205

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add my voice to those supporting Chester Jefferies. Great gloves for a great price and they do bespoke, too. Doesn't get much better than that.

.Kurtz.

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair at Aspinal London and I really like the quality. I wear them quite often, but it's still too early to evaluate their response to ageing.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
barberapecarygloves.jpg

If I want my gloves to turn out just like this, what leather and color would I get? I'm figuring a tan; could that be deerskin? I'm thinking of going with Chester Jeffries. any model recommendations?

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Get a pair of Budd's buffed hogskin gloves, and wear them for 4 or 5 years and you will get there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads