• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best brands for authentic outdoor gear?

renegade211

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

we've had discussions about North Face, and how it's usually worn by non-ourdoorsy people.

So what brands would you consider if you're looking for functional, technical outdoor clothes and equipment?

Like a brand that is popular with people who really climb mountains, and designed to work well rather than be fashionable and convey an outdoor image.

Preferably something that is mainstream enough to be affordable and readily available, but any suggestions welcome.

I'll start it off with:

Non-authentic: North Face, Jack Wolfskin, Patagonia

Authentic: Lowa for hiking boots

gdc_2008

Reaction score
throwing down TAD Gear again www.tadgear.com Some of my favorites: http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=7
merph_meg_w650w_1.jpg
http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=588
robhw3_650w_1.png

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The TNF thread was full of suggestions.

bobyoung7

Reaction score
Would there be any advantage to wearing hikers instead of running shoes when walking for exercise? I'm thinking about a pair of Pantagonia Drifters.

Chrispy

Reaction score
I wore pendelton board shirts all summer when doing trail work ac ouple of years ago. Rained almost everyday so I gave up on raingear and started wearing lots of wool.

edit: ****, didn't see that was a spammer.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobyoung7
Would there be any advantage to wearing hikers instead of running shoes when walking for exercise? I'm thinking about a pair of Pantagonia Drifters.

Looks like a spammer brought this thread out.

Trainers/running shoes are much lighter and breathable. Just did a trek in Nepal in trainers and it was fine.

Boots are good if it's really rocky terrain and if you are a bigger guy / need more support. But if you don't do that much outdoorsy stuff then boots might make you feel better. But it could also slow you down and give you blisters. Whatever you do, make sure your boots/shoes are broken in.

As for brands just go to REI, every one has their own preference. North Face isn't bad, but for the money you pay it you can get better. It comes down to personal preference.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I wore pendelton board shirts all summer when doing trail work ac ouple of years ago. Rained almost everyday so I gave up on raingear and started wearing lots of wool.

edit: ****, didn't see that was a spammer.

Wool is great since it doesn't smell. You can wear the same pair of of merino wool underwear for a week straight and there is no smell.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevent
Wool is great since it doesn't smell. You can wear the same pair of of merino wool underwear for a week straight and there is no smell.

Maybe you just lost your sense of smell?

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by renegade211
Hi everybody,

we've had discussions about North Face, and how it's usually worn by non-ourdoorsy people.

So what brands would you consider if you're looking for functional, technical outdoor clothes and equipment?

Like a brand that is popular with people who really climb mountains, and designed to work well rather than be fashionable and convey an outdoor image.

Preferably something that is mainstream enough to be affordable and readily available, but any suggestions welcome.

I'll start it off with:

Non-authentic: North Face, Jack Wolfskin, Patagonia

Authentic: Lowa for hiking boots

ROFL @ calling north face fashionable!

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, for the most part, TNF focuses on 'fashion' (i.e., making ****** stuff that the average person wears, but fits like a snuggie) these days. But, they have a longer history of making excellent technical gear. SF is not the right place for the OP to be asking this question.

And, who cares about 'authentic' (whatever that is) when we're talking technical gear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads