• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-piece suit to business meeting?

El Jack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Without wanting to agree tooo much with a banned member, I agree with sifl. Surely a 3 piece suit requires you are very senior in a company? It's not appropriate wear for say a middle manager? Re an advisor or salesman dressing well, it's a moderate line and what's appropriate for the clientele. If you're wearing splendour and turn up in a high end Bentley, then say "I charge $x per hour", it's likely this will have a very bad effect on middle class people. If your clients are well off and that kind of thing is their level, then no. I've always dressed well at jobs in the last 4 or 5 years and it seems to help me get the job in the first place, people perceive you as very organised and intelligent.... providing you're going in to the job to be dynamic and kick ass, this works well. It's a double edged sword though, male bosses like it because you look how they want the company to look, but they also get jealous too.
Jealousy is a female trait. Men have envy, but it is superseded by admiration if one has the right character. I wholeheartedly disagree that a 3 piece alienates you any more than a 2 piece suit does. In any urban workplace, either will be simply perceived as a suit.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Funny thing was when I first decided to wear ties everyone asked why I was wearing a tie. After about a week, no one cared anymore. After about a few months when I decided to not wear a tie everyone asked me why I wasn't wearing a tie. Then after another week no one cared anymore.

Assuming the dress code is business casual and you're the only person wearing a tie, the first response was probably because they thought you were the "weird" guy.

The second response is akin to what you ask when the weird guy at work with a mullet has normal hair -- you wonder what's going on, and if the weird guy has finally gotten a girlfriend or something.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Jack
Jealousy is a female trait. Men have envy, but it is superseded by admiration if one has the right character.

I wholeheartedly disagree that a 3 piece alienates you any more than a 2 piece suit does. In any urban workplace, either will be simply perceived as a suit.

3 piece suits are pretty uncommon among the classic suitwearing professions (finance and law come to mind). As has been said above, I doubt that anyone except for senior people could pull it off. Even then, it'd be a hey-that's-weird-but-whatever kind of thing.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Assuming the dress code is business casual and you're the only person wearing a tie, the first response was probably because they thought you were the "weird" guy.

The second response is akin to what you ask when the weird guy at work with a mullet has normal hair -- you wonder what's going on, and if the weird guy has finally gotten a girlfriend or something.

Hah, +1. I'd rather work with the mullet guy than some nut wearing a tie in a casual workplace.

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
Hah, +1. I'd rather work with the mullet guy than some nut wearing a tie in a casual workplace.

That's not a fair comparison. With the Mullet you get the business in the front AND the party in the back. What does casual tie guy bring to the table?

__PG__

Reaction score
I'm wearing a 3-piece today. I work in meteorological R&D and I can wear whatever I like. Most people here wear jeans, sneakers and a shirt...or maybe shirt and trousers for middle management.

Only those in the 'management' and 'corporate' divisions wear suits every day.

However, my boss wears bow-ties and sportsjackets every day (usually with RM Williams boots). He'll occasionally wear a suit to work with Allen Edmonds tassled brogue loafers. He likes my suits but always gives me grief that my trousers aren't cuffed and pleated.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At my work, it's encouraged.
devil.gif
I stick to very conservative dress but i have no three peices or odd vests, however they're certainly becoming more commonplace. I've noticed more than a few of my customers buying vests.

El Jack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
3 piece suits are pretty uncommon among the classic suitwearing professions (finance and law come to mind). As has been said above, I doubt that anyone except for senior people could pull it off. Even then, it'd be a hey-that's-weird-but-whatever kind of thing.

Here in London UK, three piece suits are no big deal.

You raise a valid point though. The US perception on clothing is a lot more fashion forward and less refined than here in the UK. Hence, the look of a 3 piece is less established and may be out of place. Cool trumps tradition for most Americans.

Feel free to prove me all wrong.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
At my work, it's encouraged.
devil.gif
I stick to very conservative dress but i have no three peices or odd vests, however they're certainly becoming more commonplace. I've noticed more than a few of my customers buying vests.

iamjammin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DStew
That's not a fair comparison. With the Mullet you get the business in the front AND the party in the back. What does casual tie guy bring to the table?

Haha. So true!

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DStew

facepalm.gif
Ever heard of smart casual? Geez, some people. My tie = smart. My tshirt = casual. It's called style.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Jack
Here in London UK, three piece suits are no big deal.

You raise a valid point though. The US perception on clothing is a lot more fashion forward and less refined than here in the UK. Hence, the look of a 3 piece is less established and may be out of place. Cool trumps tradition for most Americans.

Feel free to prove me all wrong.

I don't see that many around...

A few more this year but still not that many...

The same for double-breasted suits...

I saw one last time I went to Mayfair.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
I've worn them in the past, and the only ribbing I ever got was from one older guy (who never even wore a tie), who asked me whether I was getting into banking. The execs (especially the ladies) complimented me. I also wore a pocket watch with it on occasion - no one noticed.

Unfortunately my 3pc is shot (10 year old crappy fused suit), but it served me well. I'll be replacing it with something SF-approved. Maybe even with a lapelled waistcoat.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I am beyond caring if anyone did. I got them all used to seeing me 'dress up' for work a long time ago. If you own one, wear it like you don't care. Be approachable in your demeanor.

+1

It's all in the attitude. If you feel uncomfortable in the clothes, it will show. Slap on that 3 pc like you don't care, and act like you normally do. It's trite, but it's true: Wear the clothes; don't let them wear you.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Quite honestly, I'm surprised at folks here who wear suits in business casual environments.

Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Surely a 3 piece suit requires you are very senior in a company?
It's not appropriate wear for say a middle manager?

I've always dressed well at jobs in the last 4 or 5 years and it seems to help me get the job in the first place, people perceive you as very organised and intelligent.... providing you're going in to the job to be dynamic and kick ass, this works well.

My office is officially business casual every single day, no casual day. I wear a suit and no tie. On days I meet VIPs or do presentations, I wear a tie. I used to do suit & tie every single day. But I'm new.

A senior executive, frankly, has more capital to spend. If he dresses slovenly, it's his perogative. Being in middle management, I have to get up and conduct all the presentations, stand at the front of the door to greet people for my meetings, meet vendors, etc. Dressing well helps with the presentation technique. 9 out of 10 times if someone new to your office is lost or needs something, they'll go to the best dressed person. If you want to hide from contact and clock in 9-5, then dressing like the masses helps.

I just started at a new office. Bringing my suit + no tie or suit + tie but jacket off has already made a lot of people in my group step up their dress and take their jobs more seriously.

Vis-a-vis a three piece, I work in a support department in insurance and at my old job carried it off once a month excluding summers. I got a few comments at first but no one paid attention at the end. I see people wear suit & tie for customers and since the people who work in the company are my internal clients, I'm dressing as part of my service to them. I learnt that from a contractor in London who would corral network cables in a suit and tie because to him anyone who pays him is his customer and that's the image he presents to the customer.

Originally Posted by blahman
Funny thing was when I first decided to wear ties everyone asked why I was wearing a tie. After about a week, no one cared anymore. After about a few months when I decided to not wear a tie everyone asked me why I wasn't wearing a tie. Then after another week no one cared anymore.

Someone else posted this in another thread and I remember the comment was how this was a great social experiment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads