• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Oh wait, just saw your location as "too close" to WB...lol, thats good. Maybe you are close to me then.

Ha, no, I am quite close to the dreaded WB. Williamsburg North, if you will--Greenpoint. Still, we could meet halfway. I know Bay Ridge is a hike from me.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
eugh: work-stress has me dragging instead of flying. As it was, I managed 9.3 this morning with a few stops, but the last few loops seemed to hit 7:30 per mile, so that wasn't so bad.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
Ha, no, I am quite close to the dreaded WB. Williamsburg North, if you will--Greenpoint. Still, we could meet halfway. I know Bay Ridge is a hike from me.

My grandfather grew up on Beadle Street, way back (1920s), you are a hike...Brooklyn Bridge is about mid-way...once it gets warmer out, I'll hit you up, and will do a SF Running Shoe Circle!
laugh.gif

Dexx

Reaction score
6,5 Km. After having suffered aligament rupture in summer which was only discovered in Oktober, I can slowly go back to working out/running 4-5 times per week. The first times are quite challenging mentally.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bummed because I didn't get out to snowshoe in beaver creek. I did get some awesome snowboarding done - still disappointed that I didn't go.
Now I am back from california and sick - three more 70 mile weeks before I start to taper to look forward to before my superbowl sunday marathon.
HAPPY NEW YEARS!
do yall have any mileage goals for 2011?/Running resolutions?
I am thinking: 3000 miles total/sub 3:00 for the marathon OR 50 miler
(depending on how my time is in february)

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Early 4 mile run. Temperature (wind chill) 19 degrees. On New Years Day, we enjoyed temps in the 50s. At least the pavement was dry. NYR: No needles!!!!
cry.gif

This was the first chance I had to run in my new Icebreaker 320 "original zip" top. http://www.icebreaker.com/site/icebr...ginal_zip.html

It was on sale last week, and because I like the Icebreaker base layer that I purchased before Christmas, I took the plunge. Without the sale price, I would consider the cost to be too much.

As cold as it was this morning, I was comfortably warm, but not overly so. Like all the products from this company, the feel of the wool is soft--really soft. I have other tops which work well--Mazumo, Pantagonia--but they feel scratchy in comparison. Over the top layer, I wore a reflective net vest. The 320 would be too warm in temperatures in the high 30s and up.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5.94 miles in 52:31 (avg. 8:50 min/mi)

Today's shuffle playlist:

Kiss - "Black Diamond"
Led Zeppelin - "Immigrant Song"
Mad Season - "Wake Up"
Mad Season - "November Hotel"
Peter Gabriel - "The Feeling Begins"
Kiss - "King of the Night Time World [Live]"
Black Sabbath - "Planet Caravan"
Porcupine Tree - "Halo"
The Beatles - "Things We Said Today"
The Beatles - "Ticket to Ride"
The Beatles - "Drive My Car"
George Harrison - "What Is Life"
The Beatles - "I'll Be Back"

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
How about eating less food AND running? You know running is good for C/V health too, not just losing weight, don't you?

See that is the problem here, if you are eating less food AND running, you can keep reducing your food intake until you reach the point where you don't have to run.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: a decent easy run where things fell into place: 6.7 miles in 50:06.

I paid special attention to disciplining my thoughts and keeping the disruptive, draining thoughts out. It worked unusually well.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6.4 miles in 55:00 (avg. 8:36 min/mi)

Today's shuffle playlist:

King Crimson - "One Time"
Jimi Hendrix - "Crosstown Traffic"
Kiss - "Almost Human"
John Lennon - "Working Class Hero"
Traffic - "John Barleycorn"
Porcupine Tree - "Heartattack in a Lay-By"
Opeth - "Derelict Herds"
The Black Crowes - "Custard Pie [Live]"
Pearl Jam - "Black"
Robert Palmer - "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley"
The Beatles - "The Word"
Tool - "Eulogy"

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
Running resolutions: See how fast I can become through not neglecting strides and core/plyos. I'm terrible about doing them consistently.

Non-running: Be more encouraging and positive toward others in general. Something I've been working on but I really want to focus on it this year.

1/4/2011 - 2 up, 6 miles "progressive" tempo, Felt good for most all the run, ran 5:30s for the first 4 of tempo and 5:21s for the last 2. Achilles started to hurt so I called off the cool down; into the compression socks I slide!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modern Day Adonis

1/4/2011 - 2 up, 6 miles "progressive" tempo, Felt good for most all the run, ran 5:30s for the first 4 of tempo and 5:21s for the last 2. Achilles started to hurt so I called off the cool down; into the compression socks I slide!

Be careful man, thats how mine started, and it had me out for months...still isn't 100% which is why I'm not as visible here and running as much as I used to...sucks, and is incredibly painful (barely able to walk for a few weeks this summer)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ jeez: mine flared up but disappeared with a few days' rest. Then again I don't hit your speeds so I don't think I do nearly as much damage to mine. Good luck to you both.

today, 4 miles, 29:22. Wanted to go faster but mental stress was holding me back. After Friday things should start settling down mentally.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
See that is the problem here, if you are eating less food AND running, you can keep reducing your food intake until you reach the point where you don't have to run.
the body eventually adjusts... lowers metabolism rates (and even raises the fat storing rate) if you're not exercising (or in this thread's case running). so less food over time equals lower metabolism and increased fat storage capability (the amount depends upon the individual). you can eat less, but it will keep adjusting and adapt to efficiently utilize the lessened amount of food. - its basic survival on a biological level. that said, calorie restriction diets (the people who only survive on something like 1000c of nutrient rich foods a day) and make sure they have a caloric deficit daily do have some interesting results (great blood chemistries ect) - but even those guys are still active and still do moderate exercise. there a tons of reason to run too... the runners high, the increased cardio vascular fitness levels, increased lean muscle mass, a great way to burn off energy... after a certain point you don't run to loose weight, you run for all the other reasons.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
(...)

there a tons of reason to run too... the runners high, the increased cardio vascular fitness levels, increased lean muscle mass, a great way to burn off energy... after a certain point you don't run to loose weight, you run for all the other reasons.

True this: If it wasn't therapeutic, I'd have to find something else!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads