• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people's opinions on GMAT vs. GRE? I've read everything from doesn't matter, to no one actually applies to B school with the GRE (most cite the statistic that only 1-2% of each admitted class took the GRE). Any validity to either claim?

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't think goign to music school is a negative. It can be definitely spun as a positive, but you have to make sure you convince adcom that you didn't just do that on a whim, that you were taking a calculated risk on something you really wanted, explain why you're pursuing something else now, and that you can handle a high level of academic requirements.

If you do score in the 99% percentile, apply to the schools you want to go to, not the ones you think you'll have a good chance of getting in. I think Stanford may be hard b/c they put a lot of emphasis on undergraduate achievements, but HBS, Wharton, Sloan, and Booth should definitely be possible.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone going or gone to Haas? I'm interested in the program. This is an invitation for lurkers to poast.

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I wonder how much pre-MBA experience matters when applying for jobs post-MBA.

A friend of mine had his older sister go to HBS right after college. She has "meh" grades (3.1 or similar) and from a decent but unspectacular university in eastern Canada. She was in the reserves during school, but still, that's not huge.

However, she found a really nice job upon graduation (Undergrad in 2004, HBS grad in 2006). Would her pre-MBA experience have much of an impact in her job search?

IME, it is split about evenly between "associated work experience completely and totally required" and "irrelevant in every way shape and form".

Within my industry, I heard both basically. Some companies really didn't give a damn that I had been within the industry my whole career, and went straight for kids that had consulting backgrounds or finance backgrounds instead. Other companies were gunning for me because I was an industry insider.

It really is dependent on the company, and probably even on the recruiting team.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
IME, it is split about evenly between "associated work experience completely and totally required" and "irrelevant in every way shape and form".

Within my industry, I heard both basically. Some companies really didn't give a damn that I had been within the industry my whole career, and went straight for kids that had consulting backgrounds or finance backgrounds instead. Other companies were gunning for me because I was an industry insider.

It really is dependent on the company, and probably even on the recruiting team.

word

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that is good to know. It's so weird what some MBA schools, and I guess businesses accept. My friend who finished HBS only go in to Chicago and HBS, (rejected from all Canadian MBA programs, and non top-5 schools)

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So where's everyone applying? Lots of round 2 deadlines today and yesterday.

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
What are people's opinions on GMAT vs. GRE? I've read everything from doesn't matter, to no one actually applies to B school with the GRE (most cite the statistic that only 1-2% of each admitted class took the GRE). Any validity to either claim?

Haven taken both, the GRE is far easier in math and stupid hard in verbal (unless you spend the time memorizing the required words). Most B-schools don't know how to even gauge the GRE, and that comes from adcoms at a few top 20 programs.

The GMAT is fairly easy to crack, though, and it is what is expected by any reputable program (unless you happen to be applying for like a dual MA/MBA or PhD/MBA and the program happens to take the GRE).

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FFFFUUUUU
ffffuuuu.gif
i hate writing these essays

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
FFFFUUUUU
ffffuuuu.gif
i hate writing these essays

I wrote a ton of them. I had a template and then quickly realized the template didn't work for most schools. And then there were schools like UCLA and Stern with random "creative" essays.

2balls

Reaction score
I posted this in a GMAT thread, but would like the input of those discussing in this thread because it seems more relevant here.

I was going to start a new thread, but I figure most people in this thread will have insight to my question anyways.

I was wondering whether a background in economics is required to pursue a finance degree. Basically I plan on going back to school to get an MBA in finance and my undergrad degree is in Engineering. I pretty much have no background in econ or finance other than high school courses. I was thinking of going to CC to maybe prime myself with some micro/macro econ before going into finance. Thoughts? Any recommendations will help.

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2balls
I posted this in a GMAT thread, but would like the input of those discussing in this thread because it seems more relevant here.

I was going to start a new thread, but I figure most people in this thread will have insight to my question anyways.

I was wondering whether a background in economics is required to pursue a finance degree. Basically I plan on going back to school to get an MBA in finance and my undergrad degree is in Engineering. I pretty much have no background in econ or finance other than high school courses. I was thinking of going to CC to maybe prime myself with some micro/macro econ before going into finance. Thoughts? Any recommendations will help.

Micro and macro have nothing to do with finance, for the most part. I find micro excruciating, econ in general really, as it's so theoretical. (*awaiting economist attacks*)

An MBA in finance means loads of soft classes, some intro finance courses, some slightly advanced finance courses, a course in stats/econometrics and a micro/macro econ hybrid class. We have English majors doing an MBA in finance. If you want to do some coursework, a refresher in stats or an Intro to Accounting or Finance would be better, I think.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2balls

Again, no. A background in economics or finance isn't needed or required. With an engineering degree you'll do just fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads