• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Forgive me for being dim, but when you mention "safety precaution", you're referring to a concern over the possibility of an accidental discharge with live ammo, not a concern over causing damage to the gun via dry firing that might prevent it from functioning in a self defense situation, correct?

Yup, I just didn't feel comfortable dry-firing with snap caps indoors once I'd had live ammo in the cylinder. But I am a safety freak, by most common standards.

Poomba

Reaction score
I hate how the ATF will write contradictory opinion letters. It makes it rather difficult to try and stay within the law when it comes to something sketchy like 922r compliance.

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Yes, was referring to a handgun. Thank you for the info and the link. I may just try to learn everything right handed.

I was wondering if anyone would bring up snap caps, and you both did. S&W says dry firing is ok and doesn't mention them, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to use them if one was doing a lot of dry firing. Guess it wouldn't hurt...I'm just more comfortable only dry firing when I'm sure there's absolutely nothing in the cylinder.

Nothing wrong with that, my recommendation is mostly out of habit; a lot of my guns weren't made to dryfire. I would definitely rather be cautious in regards to loaded/empty chambers.

Out of curiosity how to you currently shoot/hold a handgun? I don't see your left handedness making much of a difference with handgun shooting. However, you should practice dominant and weak hand if you're planning on using it for self-defense/whatever.

I'm really not that experience of a handgun shooter but I found Magpul's "Art of the Dynamic Handgun" very useful in tweaking my stance/hand positioning and other areas of handgun shooting. It may be something worth looking into, I found it incredibly helpful. I think most anyone would benefit from watching it and implementing some of their drills/instructions.

Here's the trailer for the video series -

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Currently I don't; first gun. I'm planning to follow the advice I received earlier in the thread and pick up a .22 to learn with/for cheap practice, but I handled a lot of guns (been considering a purchase on and off for a few years now), and I knew the 642 was what I wanted in a potential carry gun - small, light, fits my hand better than anything else I've held, and I like the simplicity of the revolver. Found a good deal on one with the laser grips and no lock, so I decided I might as well grab it while the rebate was still available. I'll probably end up mostly getting comfortable dry firing it until I find the right .22 and put some practice in with that (probably a buck mark or ruger; they're cheap and I may as well get comfortable with the functioning of a pistol).

Thanks for the video recommendation, I was planning to look for something just like it.

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
No problem, the 642 was an excellent choice, especially with the crimson trace. Which are pretty amazing, way brighter than I assumed they would be. I had only experienced cheaper lasers for **** hunting prior to using one. The CT laser actually showed up in direct sunlight pretty well and on red, surprisingly.

Do you have any friends that shoot? If so, they'll be able to help spot flinching/pulling/etc. A trick that I've heard people do is to have a friend load the cylinder with a combination of live and spent cartridges. It'll be very apparent if you're flinching due to anticipating recoil/noise. Another tool to use in addition to a .22.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
642 arrived yesterday. I think I'm going to try to swap the CT 305 grips for the smaller 405s, but definitely happy I went with the laser - helps a lot with dry fire practicing to see how much it's moving.

Congrats.

IMO, dry-firing a J-frame should be necessity (just take Justin's suggestion on using snap caps). Although I understand your concerns about firing on an empty chamber. You'd be surprised at how the trigger smooths out with a good amount of dry-fire, live ammo, and a little lube in the area of the trigger. Truth be told, my J-frame has worked it's way in to being my favorite trigger, when compared to present owned firearms, and those that are no longer with me.

....now we just need JustinW to start a thread on concealed carry.
smile.gif

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Any of you Houston guys (or anyone) have any experience with CCC Ammo out of Conroe? I was thinking about picking up some their remanufactured ammo

I haven't even heard of them, but if everything works out well, please let me know, as I live in the Spring area, and a short trip of I-45 would be ideal.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
...now we just need JustinW to start a thread on concealed carry.
smile.gif

laugh.gif

I bought a minty early 1908s Russian AK74 laminate stock set this evening from a local builder/collector/expert for my Izhmash-109. He just about has me convinced I need to get a Bulgarian barrel & parts kit before they dry-up.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modern Day Adonis
No problem, the 642 was an excellent choice, especially with the crimson trace. Which are pretty amazing, way brighter than I assumed they would be. I had only experienced cheaper lasers for **** hunting prior to using one. The CT laser actually showed up in direct sunlight pretty well and on red, surprisingly.

I can't help but feel that, along with being much easier to activate than the laser on the bodyguard, the laser on the CT grips is brighter as well. Have not compared them side by side, however, so I may be imagining things.

Still, it surprises me that during my research I didn't see more people complaining about activating that bodyguard laser - and in a way it's easier for a lefty, as the activation is on the thumb side for me. Just goes to show the importance of trying before you buy, I guess.

Originally Posted by Modern Day Adonis
Do you have any friends that shoot? If so, they'll be able to help spot flinching/pulling/etc. A trick that I've heard people do is to have a friend load the cylinder with a combination of live and spent cartridges. It'll be very apparent if you're flinching due to anticipating recoil/noise. Another tool to use in addition to a .22.

Cool idea, thanks.

Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Congrats.

IMO, dry-firing a J-frame should be necessity (just take Justin's suggestion on using snap caps). Although I understand your concerns about firing on an empty chamber. You'd be surprised at how the trigger smooths out with a good amount of dry-fire, live ammo, and a little lube in the area of the trigger. Truth be told, my J-frame has worked it's way in to being my favorite trigger, when compared to present owned firearms, and those that are no longer with me.

....now we just need JustinW to start a thread on concealed carry.
smile.gif

Thanks, spent some time with it last night. Will make it a daily habit when I get home from work.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Russian Day at the range:

imgp3613i.jpg

Krinkov:

imgp3605g.jpg

imgp3609o.jpg

Dragunov:

imgp3617f.jpg

My Saiga 12:

imgp3618.jpg

imgp3621b.jpg

Another Saiga 12:

imgp3620.jpg

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like the Saiga 12? I'm considering buying one, as I'd like a 12 gauge with a high capacity magazine.

Originally Posted by JustinW
Russian Day at the range:

imgp3613i.jpg

Krinkov:

imgp3605g.jpg

imgp3609o.jpg

Dragunov:

imgp3617f.jpg

My Saiga 12:

imgp3618.jpg

imgp3621b.jpg

Another Saiga 12:

imgp3620.jpg

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
How do you like the Saiga 12? I'm considering buying one, as I'd like a 12 gauge with a high capacity magazine.

I LOVE it!!
biggrin.gif

11/10 in Fun Factor

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
big gunz here
arnold-schwarzenegger-with-two-old-ladies-celebrities-28932.jpg

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I LOVE it!!
biggrin.gif

11/10 in Fun Factor

Always nice to see another lefty in a world full of right handed firearms
biggrin.gif
. Truth be told, I don't think I'd feel comfortable operating a left handed bolt gun. I kinda like working the bolt with my non-trigger hand when I'm shooting from a bipod/ rest. A left handed slide release would be nice, though

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Always nice to see another lefty in a world full of right handed firearms
biggrin.gif
. Truth be told, I don't think I'd feel comfortable operating a left handed bolt gun. I kinda like working the bolt with my non-trigger hand when I'm shooting from a bipod/ rest. A left handed slide release would be nice, though

Yup, I know what you mean.

I'm happy with 'right-handed' revolvers, but like my automatic handguns to have ambi safeties, mag releases and ideally slide releases. Most rifles I feel comfortable opperation the righties controls.

One of the cool things about the AUG is that you switch ejector port covers and bolts and then you have a left-hander only bullpup. It's kinda nice reversing roles on all those righties sometimes
satisfied.gif

That was the first time I'd ever shot a Dragunov. One of the things that had put me off them I think was the very Southpaw UNfriendly looking stock on them. Well, I must say it was a joy to shoot and has the best scope I have used.

I really loved the little Krink with the Aimpoint on it. That is now top of my wishlist!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads