• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Braces with regular non-fishtail back trousers

Hannes

Reaction score
What is your opinion on converting (removing belt loops & adding buttons) regular medium rise flat front trousers for use with braces?

I don't fancy the combination of belt loops+braces, so I am thinking of either getting some fishtail trousers made or just converting some of my regular trousers, as I have recently discovered the supreme comfort of hanging my trousers with braces.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use braces on non-fishtail trousers all the time (I'm a rebel like that
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
). I always have a set of buttons added to my side-tabbed trousers, most of which aren't high rise and none of which have a fishtail back (would completely defeat the purpose of side tabs). I suppose you could always ask your tailor if it's possible to **** the back of the waistband to create a fishtail, but not sure it's doable/advisable.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One other thing I'll add: consider buying your braces a size longer than normal if given the option. When I wear a trouser that sits on my hip, I have my regular length braces set almost to their longest, and I have a fairly short torso.

MCH-est.1818

Reaction score
I've converted several of my suit trousers--added buttons and removed belt loops--and plan to do it to more of my suits. It makes the suit look more finished when its done. I really like it and definitely recommend it.

Hannes

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers. I do like the idea of converting my trousers, but I am asking as I read this in Manton's book: "But if your trousers are cut so that they rest on your hips -- as are most ready-made American and nearly all Italian trousers -- then suspenders are harmful: for such trousers sit below the protrusion of your belly (and rare is the man whose belly does not protrude at all) and the suspenders must arc around it, making you look even fatter than you actually are." My odd trousers are mostly relatively low rise Mabitex, Incotex and the like and my suit trousers are styled like them, so I'm afraid it will not fit the style. I think I will give it a try, though.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst I think it is a bad idea as few trousers are cut with high enough rise, many will go with it so my only thought is 'if you must do it'. When you next get a suit made, get fish tail trousers with a decent high rise.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, are we talking about wearing suspenders with odd trousers? I say no, especially if they're low-rise/slim/etc.

Hannes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Whilst I think it is a bad idea as few trousers are cut with high enough rise, many will go with it so my only thought is 'if you must do it'. When you next get a suit made, get fish tail trousers with a decent high rise.
Sounds reasonable.

Originally Posted by bleachboy
Wait, are we talking about wearing suspenders with odd trousers? I say no, especially if they're low-rise/slim/etc.
I was thinking of converting both odd and suit trousers. Why would it be that different with odd trousers - too informal?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have trousers that rest on your hips and want to wear them with suspenders, you need a few simple alterations:
1)Sell or give away all low-rise trousers.
2)Buy men's trousers.
3)Have suspender buttons added.
4)Profit.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hannes
I was thinking of converting both odd and suit trousers. Why would it be that different with odd trousers - too informal?

Well, I think we may be in a similar boat -- most of my odd trousers are "slim" -- Mabitex, Tom Ford, Brooks Brothers Milano, etc. They're not necessarily low-rise, and I don't wear them on my hips, but I do think wearing them with suspenders might sometimes be testicle-unfriendly.

Every pair of suit pants I own, though, has a much more generous (traditional) rise, and I always wear suspenders with those.

I don't blame you for wanting to try it out with odd trousers, of course. I love the comfort and ease of suspenders. I just think they might be incompatible with certain pants.

Hannes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Well, I think we may be in a similar boat -- most of my odd trousers are "slim" -- Mabitex, Tom Ford, Brooks Brothers Milano, etc. They're not necessarily low-rise, and I don't wear them on my hips, but I do think wearing them with suspenders might sometimes be testicle-unfriendly. Every pair of suit pants I own, though, has a much more generous (traditional) rise, and I always wear suspenders with those. I don't blame you for wanting to try it out with odd trousers, of course. I love the comfort and ease of suspenders. I just think they might be incompatible with certain pants.
My suit trousers are about the same as my odd trousers. Ideally they sit a couple of inches below my belly button, so I wouldn't say the rise is really that low, just compared to fishtail trousers and especially in the back:
INcotex100825.jpg
compared to
8358296092bdc5xl.jpg

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hannes
Thanks for all the answers. I do like the idea of converting my trousers, but I am asking as I read this in Manton's book:

"But if your trousers are cut so that they rest on your hips -- as are most ready-made American and nearly all Italian trousers -- then suspenders are harmful: for such trousers sit below the protrusion of your belly (and rare is the man whose belly does not protrude at all) and the suspenders must arc around it, making you look even fatter than you actually are."

My odd trousers are mostly relatively low rise Mabitex, Incotex and the like and my suit trousers are styled like them, so I'm afraid it will not fit the style.

I think I will give it a try, though.

The above advice wouldn't work particularly well for me: I have a flat stomach and disproportionately short torso, so trousers worn at anything but the hip exacerbate the latter.

Hannes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
The above advice wouldn't work particularly well for me: I have a flat stomach and disproportionately short torso, so trousers worn at anything but the hip exacerbate the latter.
Yeah, I guess if you have a flat stomach it will not be a problem.

Do you think the braces work well here?
gqpitti41.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads