• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Grit is Pretty Awesome

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
The lead actress did a fantastic job. Hadn't seen the original or read the novel, but I plan on reading the novel after seeing the movie. If

dave333

Reaction score
Cinematography was great, and the scenery where they filmed was just fantastic.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
saw this over the new year's and i thought jeff bridges was great and definitely should be high on the candidacy for best actor academy award.

the film was entertaining but not as enjoyable for me as i guess i went into it expecting a coen brothers type film but it was just a simple western. (which is fine, and i know they were trying to be true to the book which i dont read who cares but the film was not what i expected).

spoiler
film kind of ended on a simplistic resolve on everything, everyone just started to conveniently show up at the last moment /right time and bash someone over the head before the guy took some other guy out. nothing was surprising to me as i knew everyone would be ok. the guy had the girl under the fists and i knew she was going to be saved by ..matt damon appearing out of nowhere of course. stuff like that.
sarcasm.gif

oh and i agree as well, and have been saying it myself as i exited the movie,
matt damon was totally miscast in the movie.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave333
Cinematography was great, and the scenery where they filmed was just fantastic.

One of the things that I appreciated about the newer version is that I am very familiar with the territory that the book/movie is supposed to be set in (the Ouchita/Winding Stair Mountains of SE Oklahoma). I've hiked and hunted in those hills for my entire life.

The 1969 original was filmed, I think, in the Sierra Nevadas in California which look NOTHING like the proper setting. There are no snow covered peaks in SE Oklahoma. It does snow in Oklahoma, but there are no peaked mountains there.

The new version does a much better job of capturing the flavor of the place. I believe it was filmed in central Texas and New Mexico. There were only 2 scenes that were clearly not right. One showed a quick shot of a peaked mountain (the mountains there are of the ridge variety, more like that Appalachians). The other was set in a birch forest. There aren't any birch trees with a few hundred miles of Oklahoma. Other than that, the scenery was very realistic. Especially the scenery with the boulder covered hillsides and pine forests. The Winding Stair Mountains look just like that.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

Maybe because I was comparing it to the original I disagree only because Glen Campbell was SO MUCH WORSE. Perhaps the worst acting performance ever captured on film in the original. Damon played the part at a much higher level in the remake. On the flipside, he didn't sing the theme song...so there is that.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Maybe because I was comparing it to the original I disagree only because Glen Campbell was SO MUCH WORSE. Perhaps the worst acting performance ever captured on film in the original. Damon played the part at a much higher level in the remake. On the flipside, he didn't sing the theme song...so there is that.

well, yeah i didnt see the first film so i cant compare, but knowing the part from what i have seen, it probably would have made more sense to have josh brolin play the damon part, and matt damon as the bad guy. would have been a little more surprising i would think. it would be more coen-like. i dunno

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really liked Matt Damon. He was brash enough but tough enough. While I do agree with your hidden assessment above, sho'nuff, it was only a sliver of the movie and so wasn't enough to bring my evaluation of the rest of the film down. If most things are really to my liking, I can be forgiving of a slip here and there like that.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, yeah i didnt see the first film so i cant compare, but knowing the part from what i have seen, it probably would have made more sense to have josh brolin play the damon part, and matt damon as the bad guy. would have been a little more surprising i would think. it would be more coen-like. i dunno

I don't know. The character is actually supposed to be a bit dandyish and not particularly adept. They make fun of him a bit for being a self-absorbed Texan. I think if you were looking for a tough-guy, Brolin might have made more sense, but that isn't the character.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Personally, I thought Damon was great.

+1

Originally Posted by Teacher
I really liked Matt Damon. He was brash enough but tough enough. While I do agree with your hidden assessment above, sho'nuff, it was only a sliver of the movie and so wasn't enough to bring my evaluation of the rest of the film down. If most things are really to my liking, I can be forgiving of a slip here and there like that.

+1

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I don't know. The character is actually supposed to be a bit dandyish and not particularly adept. They make fun of him a bit for being a self-absorbed Texan. I think if you were looking for a tough-guy, Brolin might have made more sense, but that isn't the character.

ok now i see. thanks. i guess that's what i get for not knowing the original book story.
now it makes sense.

all during the movie it was making me confused how he stood out as the odd guy not fitting in the western.

also i was expecting steve buscemi to pop out somewhere in a cameo anytime

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
also i was expecting steve buscemi to pop out somewhere in a cameo anytime

laugh.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a thoroughly ordinary movie.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
saw this over the new year's and i thought jeff bridges was great and definitely should be high on the candidacy for best actor academy award.

the film was entertaining but not as enjoyable for me as i guess i went into it expecting a coen brothers type film but it was just a simple western. (which is fine, and i know they were trying to be true to the book which i dont read who cares but the film was not what i expected).

spoiler
film kind of ended on a simplistic resolve on everything, everyone just started to conveniently show up at the last moment /right time and bash someone over the head before the guy took some other guy out. nothing was surprising to me as i knew everyone would be ok. the guy had the girl under the fists and i knew she was going to be saved by ..matt damon appearing out of nowhere of course. stuff like that.
sarcasm.gif

I agree with everything you just said:

1. Bridges killed.
2. Damon was far from impressive (and I usually like him in movies)
3. The movie was alright, but not great. I was really expecting a little more.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

However, people will believe the damndest things about snakes. I had a boss who believed in the existence of the dreaded "hoop snake." He said his pappy had actually witnessed one of these creatures in action back in Tennessee.

That is funny.

You have to wonder how nature never created a hoop snake. It seems like it would be a very useful way for a snake to get around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads