• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Beautiful! I have the Cigar Indy on the Barrie but wish I had this boot instead. I really like the way the Plaza last fits my foot

I also have the Cigar Indy, and the difference between the two is day and night! While I love both boots equally, everything about the Indy on the Plaza last is sleeker, dressier, and less utilitarian than the Indy on the Barrie. Definitely hoping to see more Indy's on the Plaza last.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
I wear my socks over my shoes. Helps, I think.

I go barefoot - don't want an unsightly blemish to ruin the shoes.
laugh.gif

Profligate47

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
Leathersoul Plaza Indy Boot in color #8 shell. Love it when the sun hits the #8 leather and allows the burgundy to peek out from behind the black. This is only after five wearings. . .can't wait to see it after a year or two.

photo30g.jpg

photo29yi.jpg

Great boots! Looking forward to seeing the same effect on my captoe boots! Thanks!
IMG_1611.jpg

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
Mac - Glad to see you posting again. On what last are the color 8 cap toes?

thank you
cap toes are on the hampton last

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
34fem9x.jpg

cigar ptb

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lambchop
I was speaking with a shoe care professional at a shine/ repair shop and they were recommending always shining new shoes before wearing, including shell cordovan in order to create a protective base shine.

From all the info in this thread I was under the impression that the only care needed for shell cordovan was a damp cloth wipe down followed by a good brushing with the horsehair brush. Then, a small amount of paste wax after a few months.

Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide if I should shine some new Alden shell boots before wearing.

Thanks guys.

Alden puts a protective base shine on the shoe for you. No need to do anything for a while other than wear, wipe, brush, and trees

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question re: widths on Tru Balance and Leydon lasts.

I have an Indy Boot in 8 that fits me pretty much perfectly in the width and is slightly long. I'm planning on getting unlined chukkas in 8 as well, but am unsure whether or not an E fitting or a D fitting would be best for me.

I wear an 8.5D in most other dress shoes (Brooks Brothers C&J, Allen-Edmonds, etc.) I'm thinking to go with the 8E, but I don't want them to be too wide. Thoughts?

JOA

Reaction score
I'm an 8.5 D in the Tru Balance/Barrie, and just recently bought a pair of Unlined Chukka's in a size 9 D. I have a medium/wide foot, but the 9 D was a bit too narrow up front. If I were to get them again ( I returned this pair), I'd try an E width.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I'm thinking about placing a preoder on the next shipment of Context Roy boots. I wear a 10D in Barrie cordovan longwings. 10D appears to be sold out for the next preorder. Would 9.5E work?

2) Anyone have experience with the tan unlined chukka in Barrie? I think I saw Winn Perry or Leather Soul sell some last spring.

Wearing my #8 longwings for the first time today. Love em.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
1) I wear a 10D in Barrie cordovan longwings. 10D appears to be sold out for the next preorder. Would 9.5E work?

It depends. The width of a 9.5E and 10D should be nearly identical. The length, obviously, will be different. If your 10D's have length to spare then it should be fine. If you're already pushing the limits of length in your 10D's then it won't. That is up to you to figure out.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
1) I'm thinking about placing a preoder on the next shipment of Context Roy boots. I wear a 10D in Barrie cordovan longwings. 10D appears to be sold out for the next preorder. Would 9.5E work?

I recently did this. I wear an 8.5D in the trubalance and bought a size 8E and they are nearly identical in terms of width, and also surprisingly in length.

I would say it would work fine.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JOA
I'm an 8.5 D in the Tru Balance/Barrie, and just recently bought a pair of Unlined Chukka's in a size 9 D. I have a medium/wide foot, but the 9 D was a bit too narrow up front. If I were to get them again ( I returned this pair), I'd try an E width.

Thanks--I appreciate it.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Going through LeatherSoul's alden entries makes me want to own more aldens (as if that's what I need).

I really miss the machine stitching on the shell indys.

windy1.jpg
windy3.jpg

Why alden decided to offer shell indys with ONLY handsewn option is a mystery to me. And I am so frustated at myself that I did not grab a pair if shell indys with the old stlye stitching. I am not going to find an unused pair
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

I heard that one of the big wigs at Alden (not sure what guy) thought that the machine stitch on the cordovan indy "cheapened" the look of the boot. And decided that the Cordovan boots would always have the handsewn toe-Felt it suited the boot and leather better.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the suede chukkas on the leydon last don't fit me well, I am usually an 7.5 D or 8 D in the Barrie/Trubalance, 8 D in most other lasts, I had a 8.5 D in the chukkas for a while, but eventually sold them. I tried on a E width in size 8 or 8.5, and the heel was too loose. blah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics