• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Since clothing no longer constitutes status..

lightyear

Reaction score
This must've been talked about at some point but 2 second search didn't bring anything up. Basically I'm trying to understand the rationale of a lot of posters here, well at least of a select group. Let's (realistically) assume that the days are gone when clothes really mattered as a status symbol. Yes its not true, etc.. but all I'm saying is that fitted jeans/shirt + plain fitted suit and a boring ol' tie is enough to conquer the world in just about any field you are in.

In fact reading a few issues of GQ and 'getting' how clothes fit and what looks modern will put you in the 80th percentile. Getting the other 20 will take considerable time/effort/cost etc but that's not exactly what I see here. Browsing through men's wear you see men in their early 40s praised for wearing thick vintage suits that look like they belong where they were found. Some may indeed look interesting in the Casablanca sort of way, but wearing it daily? Street-wear is guilty no less with weird fitting extra long/weirdly cut t-shirts with military boots.

Now of course 'to each his own' and it deserves some respect in a sense that I respect body builders, I don't understand their choice but I admire their dedication. You can say that people here speak to a different demographic but spending considerable time in different places with different people I can't say that I recognize some sort of vintage-overdressed skull n bones. Finally the argument that it is a hobby and why the hell not dress up instead of being boring?

Here I find really little difference in high school I wore black T shirts now I wear polos from 'meh' brands like polo/lacoste even though they have little to do with the 'preppy' culture besides mass advertising for the simple fact that they are the best at their purpose. Besides myself the only person who probably even noticed was my girlfriend's grandmother
sarcasm.gif

To keep this short I don't think it's really a secret that dressing like George Clooney in most of his later movies will be much more effective at work or at a night lounge for 40s then wearing a vintage mohair 3 piece suit with braces and an ascot as taking it easy in college is much more effective (T&A) then dressing like Japanese runway model.

Finally you can argue that my approach is blend and conformist and in a sense it might be. This doesn't explain however the amazing elitist congruity on this forum again people without higher education/idiots/people who can't take criticism or sarcasm/people who are just clueless or do stupid ****. Nothing wrong with expressing yourself but it seems what some people go for here is the 'lil wayne' effect where in a 2 mile radius you just have to stand out as that guy, even ignoring the obvious implications of this character trait what's in it for you?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lightyear
Finally you can argue that my approach is blend and conformist and in a sense it might be. This doesn't explain however the amazing elitist congruity on this forum again people without higher education/idiots/people who can't take criticism or sarcasm/people who are just clueless or do stupid ****. Nothing wrong with expressing yourself but it seems what some people go for here is the 'lil wayne' effect where in a 2 mile radius you just have to stand out as that guy, even ignoring the obvious implications of this character trait what's in it for you?

This seems like a good place for your to start: http://www.suite101.com/course.cfm/17267/seminar

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where to begin? Jesus.

Okay so first of all, the way you dress does still matter. You even say so yourself that it does, but you dismiss it for the sake of argument. Someone wearing jeans and a t-shirt as opposed to a suit and tie is percieved and treated differently by others in society. It's true, and it's inherently true. It doesn't matter if you like it or think it's wrong.

Second, not everyone here is dressing in vintage suits. In fact, it seems to me that it's quite the opposite. Many of the gentlemen on the forum wear and have a wardrobe full of bespoke or made to measure clothing. So I'm not really sure where you are getting the vintage vibe from. Even if it were true, however, many vintage items are made with a quality that is no longer seen today, which is good reason to wear them.

I would make an objection to "dressing like George Clooney" but seeing as how you are confused that everyone on SF wears vintage suits with ascots I won't bother.

Lastly, you don't even have an approach. You barely even strung together a few paragraphs, which you did rather poorly. Your complaining about higher/lower education makes me laugh. The difference is pretty obvious, you can't even express yourself clearly on something you are seemingly passionate about. Almost all your points are devoid of reason, and an equal amount of your sentences are jumbled and incoherent.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You know, everybody has their thing. Some people are really into car stereos. Do they think it proves some sort of status? Some people are really into motorcycles, same thing. I think people who feel that clothes say something about their status, or who want to it say something about their status generally buy fashion branded clothes and flaunt it and most likely don't come on here and talk about the intricacies of tailoring, pattern matching, colors and whatnot, they just follow what the salesperson at Barney's tells them what is hot. For many people here it is a hobby just like any other.

ktrp

Reaction score
You are correct. Getting to 'the 80th percentile' i.e. wearing clothes that are appropriate and fit right will get you anywhere you need to go.

Going further is only for yourself. If you don't care, so be it.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP-

I recommend breathing into this the next time you find yourself hyperventilating:

BrownBagWM1.jpg

Note: it's selvage.

eMacPaul

Reaction score
Actually, I think most of the gents posting here wouldn't get a second look on the street, because most of the people on the street don't know enough to recognize what they're seeing.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
I don't follow the logic. "Since the general public is made up of uncouth and ignorant philistines, why bother having a hobby that is otherwise?"

Why play with model trains or restore old motorcycles or grow roses? Because it gives enjoyment.

Troll.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
troll some?

did you really just come to a forum to try and explain why it shouldnt exist and expect anyone to come to a conclusion something like, "wow this guy is right we should shut down right now" cmon get a grip bro

as far as your article, you clearly havent been here long enough to have grasped any kind of sense of what this forum is about, and if you dont want to care about how you dress you dont need to divulge your guilty conscience to us

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress well for my pleasure. I enjoy wearing clothing that is made well and fits me well. Wearing nice clothing does say something about you to the world, but most people won't recognize the details that makes most of the clothing talked about here really special. But that's not the point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics