• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I'm thinking my next buy will be a shotgun for home protection.

What sort? Got something in mind?

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
What sort? Got something in mind?

Something inexpensive but reliable...i.e. Mossberg. I've long thought about picking up one for the home, but over time lost interest. However, a local story posted in the news a few weeks ago, convinced of just how effective they could be.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Thanks, didn't realize 5.45 was so much cheaper...knew it was the cheapest, but based on a quick search .223 and 7.62 didn't seem too much more expensive, while .308 was substantially more so (and more for the rifle as well).
Last time I checked, 5.45 was a little over 10c a round, 5.56 over 25c a round and good surplus, 7.62x51 averaging 50c and getting down to the low 40's if you buy bulk (not Radway Green, DAG or SA, but maybe 90s Lithuanian). I don't shoot 7.62x39 or .308, so don't know what that goes for.
Something inexpensive but reliable...i.e. Mossberg. I've long thought about picking up one for the home, but over time lost interest. However, a local story posted in the news a few weeks ago, convinced of just how effective they could be.
Sounds good. Buy it this week and we'll shoot some shot on the weekend!
smile.gif
I started-out planning to get a practical Remington 870 ...
blush.gif
Maybe you'll end-up with the new Kel-Tec KSG?

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Buy it this week and we'll shoot some shot on the weekend!
smile.gif

I started-out planning to get a practical Remington 870 ...
blush.gif
Maybe you'll end-up with the new Kel-Tec KSG?

haha....I won't be buying anything anytime too soon, but I'll see you this weekend.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha....you sound a lot like me, I was in the market for an AR, but ended up purchasing a Kimber instead. Now, I'm forced to start all over again, except at this point, I'm thinking my next buy will be a shotgun for home protection.

I've got a 590 that I picked up a few years back for a decent price. So far I've left it alone except for an ATI top folding stock, but the itch is there to turn it into a not-so-basic home defender.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you Houston guys (or anyone) have any experience with CCC Ammo out of Conroe? I was thinking about picking up some their remanufactured ammo

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Any of you Houston guys (or anyone) have any experience with CCC Ammo out of Conroe? I was thinking about picking up some their remanufactured ammo

Nope - but please let me know if you try them. I've been meaning to stop-in at Ammo To Go next time I'm driving through Brenham without the family. Their bulk prices seem reasonable of you're not paying shipping ontop.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
642 arrived yesterday. I think I'm going to try to swap the CT 305 grips for the smaller 405s, but definitely happy I went with the laser - helps a lot with dry fire practicing to see how much it's moving.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
642 arrived yesterday. I think I'm going to try to swap the CT 305 grips for the smaller 405s, but definitely happy I went with the laser - helps a lot with dry fire practicing to see how much it's moving.

Fun times!
smile.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Speaking of dry firing - I've done some research on the topic, and asked earlier about dry firing when looking at a gun at the shop, but do you guys see any reason why I shouldn't be dry firing a 642 a lot (as in, potentially thousands and thousands of times?)

Also, I am right eye dominant but generally left handed for most tasks. Is there a downside to aiming with my right eye while shooting left handed?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
^Speaking of dry firing - I've done some research on the topic, and asked earlier about dry firing when looking at a gun at the shop, but do you guys see any reason why I shouldn't be dry firing a 642 a lot (as in, potentially thousands and thousands of times?)

I got some .38 snap caps when I got my CT laser - I spent several weeks doing 'quick draw target acquisition' on every piece of furniture in the house
shog[1].gif
It also helps to smoothen the DA trigger on some S&Ws.

Once I started carrying it with live ammo I put the snap caps away and stopped dry firing as a safety precaution.

Originally Posted by dcg

Also, I am right eye dominant but generally left handed for most tasks. Is there a downside to aiming with my right eye while shooting left handed?

I wouldn't imagine any disadvantage serious enough to warrant shooting with our non-dominant hand or eye.

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
I'm assuming you're talking about in regards to handgun shooting. I'd recommend you shoot with both eyes open, you'll have better depth perception, less eye fatigue, as well as better peripheral vision. This is primarily with practical/tactical shooting, if bullseye shooting then I'd shoot with both eyes open but place tape on my left lens. If you're talking about rifle shooting then you definitely need to change. I'd work on shooting right handed until it becomes natural. In almost any shooting situation you're better off shooting with both eyes open, yes even scoped rifle shooting. However, training yourself to do so is easier said than done. Especially if your right eye isn't significantly more dominant than your left and/or you've developed this habit through thousands and thousands of rounds. -Edit: In regards to the dryfire question, no problems in my opinion. Use snap caps and dryfire as much as you can, it'll help tremendously. Here are some good drills for you to utilize http://www.personaldefensetraining.c...et=dryfire.php

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some .38 snap caps when I got my CT laser - I spent several weeks doing 'quick draw target acquisition' on every piece of furniture in the house
shog[1].gif
It also helps to smoothen the DA trigger on some S&Ws.

Once I started carrying it with live ammo I put the snap caps away and stopped dry firing as a safety precaution.

I wouldn't imagine any disadvantage serious enough to warrant shooting with our non-dominant hand or eye.

Forgive me for being dim, but when you mention "safety precaution", you're referring to a concern over the possibility of an accidental discharge with live ammo, not a concern over causing damage to the gun via dry firing that might prevent it from functioning in a self defense situation, correct?

Originally Posted by Modern Day Adonis
I'm assuming you're talking about in regards to handgun shooting. I'd recommend you shoot with both eyes open, you'll have better depth perception, less eye fatigue, as well as better peripheral vision. This is primarily with practical/tactical shooting, if bullseye shooting then I'd shoot with both eyes open but place tape on my left lens.

If you're talking about rifle shooting then you definitely need to change. I'd work on shooting right handed until it becomes natural.

In almost any shooting situation you're better off shooting with both eyes open, yes even scoped rifle shooting. However, training yourself to do so is easier said than done. Especially if your right eye isn't significantly more dominant than your left and/or you've developed this habit through thousands and thousands of rounds.

-Edit: In regards to the dryfire question, no problems in my opinion. Use snap caps and dryfire as much as you can, it'll help tremendously. Here are some good drills for you to utilize
http://www.personaldefensetraining.c...et=dryfire.php

Yes, was referring to a handgun. Thank you for the info and the link. I may just try to learn everything right handed.

I was wondering if anyone would bring up snap caps, and you both did. S&W says dry firing is ok and doesn't mention them, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to use them if one was doing a lot of dry firing. Guess it wouldn't hurt...I'm just more comfortable only dry firing when I'm sure there's absolutely nothing in the cylinder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads