• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Grit is Pretty Awesome

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Also, how would a lasso rope prevent snakes from getting at you in your sleep?

I seem to remember reading in some western book that it throws snakes off. I forget how though.

soxpats

Reaction score
Went to True Grit on Friday. It was decent but not sure what the big deal is. Should have waited for it to come out on DVD.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What amazes me is that those guys could nail a biscuit 20ft in the air, shooting from the hip. To me, that's just amazing... but I'm just a city slicker. I'm deadly accurate with a 9mm from 12-15 feet at a range, but how those guys (I'm guessing they could) shoot is just astonishing to me.

Also, how would a lasso rope prevent snakes from getting at you in your sleep?

I doubt if anyone ever has been able to hit a tossed biscuit in the air at 20 feet shooting from the hip with any degree of of consistency--not Ed McGivern, not Bill Jordan...nobody.

As has already been said, the business about the rope providing safety because the snakes didn't like the rough surface is a myth. However, it was a widely believed one in the old days. Back in the '50s I knew a family that would go camping in the desert and always surround their sleeping bags with ropes. I don't know whether anyone still believes it or not. Given the rough, rocky terrain snakes traverse with ease, it was a pretty stupid idea from the get-go.

However, people will believe the damndest things about snakes. I had a boss who believed in the existence of the dreaded "hoop snake." He said his pappy had actually witnessed one of these creatures in action back in Tennessee.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Superb movie. Best I've seen this year. Great acting up and down. The Coen brothers, as long as they avoid comedy, do exceedingly well.

Originally Posted by Jekyll
I was surprised by how un-comedic it was. There was humor, but not the kind or quantity you normally expect from the Coens.

I found that I was laughing pretty consistently throughout the whole movie.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Very impressed. Hadn't read it, hadn't seen the John Wayne version. Loved it.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

thromb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Loved it. The ending kinda threw me though.

Agree. Loved 99% of the movie except for the drawn on sequence of Bridges riding with and carrying the girl back. Background in some of those scenes looked like they were green screened in and were distracting.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Really liked this, except for the lame and unrealistic cgi snake scene.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I re-read the novel in anticipation of seeing the movie. I must say that both John Wayne and Jeff Bridges are rather miscast in the role of Rooster Cogburn. The story is set in 1878. It states in the novel he was 43 at time and had ridden with Quantrill during the war. Both actors playing the role have been men in their 60s. I should think that few, if any, of the survivors of Quantrill's band would have been sexagenarians in 1878. Also, in the novel, it states that he was very fat. I don't think Jeff Bridges is particularly fat.

I know Wayne was older when he did the character, though it's been so long that I don't remember most of the details from that version. However, I believe Bridges's Cogburn was supposed to have been closer to that age, just extremely haggard from a hard and bitter life. Recall that the very end was twenty-five years after-the-fact, and he'd just died. It's possible he could have lived into his late 80s or 90s back then, but I doubt that was what they were going for.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, and I really, really enjoyed this film.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thromb
Agree. Loved 99% of the movie except for the drawn on sequence of Bridges riding with and carrying the girl back. Background in some of those scenes looked like they were green screened in and were distracting.

No I liked that part. I'm talking about the final framing scene.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the movie, myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads