• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you cuff your jeans?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
to the cuff gurus of SF, I'm not much of a cuff or stack guy but I just got these Nudies and since im 5'9 the 34 inseams look too weird stacked so I decided to do a cuff.

what do you gurus think

bigger cuff, smaller cuff?

I want to get them hemmed to 32 inseam or should I keep the 34 inseam given my height?

Originally Posted by jaychiz
flip up the hem and stack

I agree. Those jeans look like they have a small leg opening, and I've always thought that cuffs look good mainly on larger leg openings. I'd let them stack, and if it's too long for you to do that, hem some of the extra length off.

julius12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
99% of the time cuffing jeans looks marsupialed. 100% of the time from pics i've seen on SF.

I created an account just to say I agree with this. It sometimes works with skinny guys, but all the trying hard fashionistas/sheep are doing it now and you all look like idiots. It looks dorky and/or effeminate.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is this in reply to me? if so I think I would need to get them hemmed to 32
no that's just what i do but i wouldn't cuff when the hem is as wide as yours though

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaychiz
no that's just what i do but i wouldn't cuff when the hem is as wide as yours though

the hem or do you mean the leg opening? the leg opening is 7.5 on these. These Grim Tims are tapered...

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the hem or do you mean the leg opening? the leg opening is 7.5 on these. These Grim Tims are tapered...

Yes, he is saying that the leg opening is too narrow to look good with a cuff. I agree with him.

dasai

Reaction score
With a new pair of jeans, I roll them up until they stretch out fully, then take them and the receipt back to the store and get them hemmed for free, leaving them down or cuffing them depending on my mood and what shoes I'm wearing.

Though I've only been doing this for the past month and a half or so, with my current pair of jeans.
smile.gif

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
Yes, he is saying that the leg opening is too narrow to look good with a cuff. I agree with him.

what would be an ideal leg opening for a cuff?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the fit.

For my slimmer fits I let em stack.

For my baggier fits I do a single or double cuff.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
it really depends on the cut. some cuts like the sda-103 look best, imo, with a i/2 cuff but worn with a 1-1.5" higher inseam then what you would normally wear. does that make sense?

but then your have slim/straight cuts like the samurai 710 that look well with a little stacking because of the narrow hem. it really just depends on the cut of the jean and how you want to wear them. experiment ...

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by madstaxbro
Right here.

Shouldn't you be rockin' mad stax?

Originally Posted by julius12
I created an account just to say I agree with this. It sometimes works with skinny guys, but all the trying hard fashionistas/sheep are doing it now and you all look like idiots. It looks dorky and/or effeminate.

Dunno, the guy from Self Edge that's in their fit pics always rocks cuffs, and I'd go so far as to say that they look decent on him.

These days it seems like tons of people cuff (at least in Philly), but wearing the same pre-faded, non-selvage, mall brand jeans they always wear.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what would be an ideal leg opening for a cuff?

There's no absolute measurement for this, because it depends in part on what size the jeans are. I can say that for a pair with a 34" waist measurement, I personally wouldn't cuff anything with a leg opening less than 8.5" wide.

Originally Posted by notwithit
Dunno, the guy from Self Edge that's in their fit pics always rocks cuffs, and I'd go so far as to say that they look decent on him.

Sidney's got a unique, extraordinarily thin build where he can make almost every style and cut of jeans fit him pretty much the same. I don't think I would use him as a yardstick for how jeans will look on the average person.

jron757

Reaction score
The only time i cuff my pants is when i wear my chuck taylors .

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuff?

Pleeeeez biotch...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads