• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

CEE88

Reaction score
Just cleaned and waterproofed my one year old 4183 Rugged Classics -- they've been a very comfortable walking and work boot:

dsc0096di.jpg
[/IMG]
dsc0104f.jpg

dsc0102uw.jpg
dsc0116rb.jpg

dsc0150t.jpg
dsc0121g.jpg

dsc0122ef.jpg
dsc0125y.jpg

dsc0128ov.jpg
dsc0132ic.jpg

splattered

Reaction score
I'm looking for GT Sz 7.5 in either Cigar(preferred) or Black Cherry... i also have a pair of RW Classic round toe in Copper Rough n Tough (9111) w the crepe sole BNIB i'd consider trading straight across. Hit me up if anyone is interested
smile.gif

nineohtoo

Reaction score
So I picked up some size 8 work Chukkas in sage Mohave last week and they've been really tight. I usually wear 8.5 or 9 in sneakers, and most dress shoes in 8/8.5. This was the only size left at ......... with free shipping and 30% off. Should I bear with the pain for a bit, or just sell em? And does anyone think a cobbler can do anything with em?

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nineohtoo
So I picked up some size 8 work Chukkas in sage Mohave last week and they've been really tight. I usually wear 8.5 or 9 in sneakers, and most dress shoes in 8/8.5. This was the only size left at ......... with free shipping and 30% off. Should I bear with the pain for a bit, or just sell em? And does anyone think a cobbler can do anything with em?
When I visited Danner Boots recently the guy mentioned that they had a "boot stretcher" -- you might ask around at local stores to see if they have such a thing, and perhaps a few shoe repair shops for their advice.

But, how tight are they? Any realistic possibility they'll loosen with wear (or a little stretching) and become comfortable? Personally, I'd return or sell them -- it's just not worth it. Don't buy on sale what you wouldn't buy or tolerate at full price.

Chubbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
I'm looking for GT Sz 7.5 in either Cigar(preferred) or Black Cherry... i also have a pair of RW Classic round toe in Copper Rough n Tough (9111) w the crepe sole BNIB i'd consider trading straight across. Hit me up if anyone is interested
smile.gif

Baker's has GT's in cigar here.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
Just cleaned and waterproofed my one year old 4183 Rugged Classics -- they've been a very comfortable walking and work boot:

dsc0096di.jpg
[/IMG]
dsc0104f.jpg

dsc0102uw.jpg
dsc0116rb.jpg

dsc0150t.jpg
dsc0121g.jpg

dsc0122ef.jpg
dsc0125y.jpg

dsc0128ov.jpg
dsc0132ic.jpg

Looks great. I have the same boot. I just cleaned them and hit them up with a coat of Montana as well. The leather keeps looking better and better with wear.

One question - where did you get those laces? I've been alternating between the yellow and brown laces included as well as a pair of red laces I picked up at J Crew.

triumphman

Reaction score
can someone recommend me on sizing for rw beckham/gt.

and also is sizing for the iron rangers the same as the gt?

size 7.5 in alden trubalance last
size 8 in clarks db
size 8.5 in sneakers
size 8 in chucks

nemo

Reaction score
IR do run true to size, unlike the GT's.

Originally Posted by triumphman

size 8 in clarks db
size 8.5 in sneakers
size 8 in chucks

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Looks great. I have the same boot. I just cleaned them and hit them up with a coat of Montana as well. The leather keeps looking better and better with wear.

One question - where did you get those laces? I've been alternating between the yellow and brown laces included as well as a pair of red laces I picked up at J Crew.

I should have taken a few 'before' shots, because they look completely different after the cleaning & waterproofing. All the scratches pretty much disappeared. The bottoms look hardly used but I've been wearing'em out around the city & when I walk my dog (2-3 miles), so they've gotten a fair amount of wear these last 12 months. They've really become a comfortable footware option (although they are not light - but that just adds to the workout aspect).

The laces came with the boots -- as I recall, there was another pair of cotton or nylon laces, too. I've seen similar laces at shoe repair shops and boot stores. Here's some online options (rawhide and non) -

http://www.emocs.com/rawhidelaces.htm
http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/K...r_p/667020.htm
http://workingperson.com/footwear/bo...cs-154787.html
http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/redwinglaces.asp
http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/allleather.asp
http://www.danner.com/accessories/laces-zippers/
http://www.hanksclothing.com/shoe_laces.html

canderson

Reaction score
Long, long time lurker here. I have a Red Wing question. I'm looking for a new all-purpose work boot (water resistant, at least, and possibly waterproof completely, for PA snowfalls) and stopped by my Red Wing store tonight and was impressed with a few different models.

One in particular, though, I can't find ANY info on. It is the 1261, which is waterproof with the vibram sole. It was so comfortable and would like to read some reviews but can't find anything except one for sale on eBay. It's not listed on RW's web site, anywhere. Anyone familiar with this? The 1261 was bit heavy, but I want to wear it as an urban explorer and in the snow here in PA so it wouldn't be terrible.

I'm new to RW, but loved how they fit and now the quality is pretty high. The store didn't have the Gentleman Traveler so I couldn't try it on, but might look at another fairly local RW store for these. I know some RWs are now made overseas, but I'd prefer to buy ones still crafted here in America.

So, any familiarity with the 1261, or anyone have a direction I should look? Not looking for chukkas or mocs, really.

Thanks!

Imco0l

Reaction score
i just recently copped the Red Wings 8138. I was wondering how I should clean them. It's made out of waterproof leather so I can just use warm water and a stiff bristle brush rite? and can I use the Red Wings boot oil or am I only allowed to use the mink oil/naturseal?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman

size 8 in clarks db
size 8.5 in sneakers
size 8 in chucks

For me, I've used the same size in all my Red Wing boots and they'fe fit well. This includes 875, 877, Iron Rangers, etc.

I use the same size as my Clark's Desert Boots, too.

Hope that helps. Your mileage may vary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads