• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vw Gti

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
Yea I was actually looking for coilovers that would allow an increase in height for better ground clearance for crappy roads and winter. I asked if you could raise them on the VW forum and the guys freaked out and said I should be banned lol.

well coming from the hella flush scene, its kinda like asking here what height would be appropriate to hem your dress pants to for floods.

but definitely do your research, all the coilover systems I've had a chance to install/use have all had a max adjustable height up front of just lower than stock (rears you can always raise to the moon though for some reason). Even if you find a set that would let you raise the front by 1/2" or more, you're likely to be compromising the suspension geometry of the car: caster/camber and toe.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I was actually looking for coilovers that would allow an increase in height for better ground clearance for crappy roads and winter. I asked if you could raise them on the VW forum and the guys freaked out and said I should be banned lol.

Don't know if this is still applicable to you, but look into Shine Racing suspension. It does just that.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Getting something like some standard twinspoke rims would go a long way towards making the car look a little more mature.

Originally Posted by JoelF
You're a big guy, do you find the A3 comfortable? I bought a 3.2 when they first came out in the U.S., was fast as **** but unbelievably cramped.

I am pretty big and VW is awesome about making cars that I can fit in. I can ride in the back seat of a 4dr MkIV golf without real issue and I think the MkV body has even more leg room.

Also, they have storage space like nobody's business. It is like having a small truck...fold the seats flat and be amazed

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Changing the wheels would be the first thing I would do. I would go down to 17's because I like the look better and it has a lot of benefits.

I went and drove a the GTI today as well as the Tiguan. They only had manual GTI's in stock so I drove that and I was really impressed. Really solid, well built car. The Tiguan was also really nice. They both have their benefits and there's stuff I like about each of them. The dealer can get me a 4-door automatic with the autobahn or the Tiguan fully loaded without having to order.

So far I'm stuck between the Forester XT, GTI, and Tiguan. The Forester was nice but it felt cheap. Cheap interior components and the fit and finish weren't great. It kind of gives it a utilitarian feel but the VW's definitely have much better materials and fit and finish.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at a Jetta TDI wagon?

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Have you looked at a Jetta TDI wagon?

I looked at them at the dealer and have researched them a little but I haven't driven one. I like them but it doesn't quite do it for me. I think I'd like it a lot more if it had a more powerful engine option. I'd definitely like a TDI but the 140hp isn't going to cut it. I know it's torquey but it's too underpowered imo. I'm going back to the Subaru dealer right now to drive a 3.6R Outback. Then it's just figuring out which one I want the most.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked at them at the dealer and have researched them a little but I haven't driven one. I like them but it doesn't quite do it for me. I think I'd like it a lot more if it had a more powerful engine option. I'd definitely like a TDI but the 140hp isn't going to cut it. I know it's torquey but it's too underpowered imo. I'm going back to the Subaru dealer right now to drive a 3.6R Outback. Then it's just figuring out which one I want the most.

Haven't driven them either and don't know a ton about them, but I bet you can do some things pretty cheaply to get some extra oomph out of the TDI.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
^^^ Changing the wheels would be the first thing I would do. I would go down to 17's because I like the look better and it has a lot of benefits.

I went and drove a the GTI today as well as the Tiguan. They only had manual GTI's in stock so I drove that and I was really impressed. Really solid, well built car. The Tiguan was also really nice. They both have their benefits and there's stuff I like about each of them. The dealer can get me a 4-door automatic with the autobahn or the Tiguan fully loaded without having to order.

So far I'm stuck between the Forester XT, GTI, and Tiguan. The Forester was nice but it felt cheap. Cheap interior components and the fit and finish weren't great. It kind of gives it a utilitarian feel but the VW's definitely have much better materials and fit and finish.

FWIW, while the Forester may have felt cheap, it is the only one that has full-time AWD standard (if that matters to you), whereas you have to opt for the 4motion on the Tiguan, and the GTI only comes in FWD. The Forester also has more power than either the Tiguan or GTI (224hp vs. 200hp).

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can buy a "chip" for them for about $500. Will be a lot peppier.

CSCoHammers7

Reaction score
I had a MKV GTI (The generation prior to this one- MKVI) and I LOVED it. I'm def biased since I'm a big VW/Audi fan, though. I would say it's a fairly reliable car overall. Granted, it was mentioned that VWs are notorious for their electrical bugs (I would get my check engine light if I had the radio on with the engine off and it would disappear the next time I turned it on lol), but it's a really fun daily driver with a lot energy for the low price tag. Flashing the ECU/chipping it as someone else recommended will make it an entirely different experience in a good way- noticeable gains and for a modest price. I was a big fan of the interlagos cloth too, I didn't want leather since I was an "enthusiast"... Just took a ride in the new MKVI for the first time this weekend since a friend got one and the interior remains very clean. It's worth noting that the MKVI and the MKV are essentially mechanically identical. The MKVI is aesthetically refined which was my instant observation upon entering it. Cleaaaaan.

Check out vwvortex.com if you're curious what the whole scene is about. You don't need to become a fan boy but it's resourceful for DIYs and stuff nevertheless. I want to kop the new Golf R when it comes out because I've always wanted a 4 door manual R.

The A3 would be an awesome buy IMO too... I've searched high and low for the elusive S3 to no avail
confused.gif
I like the S Line A3 by default because it has quattro, but any A3 I think is the more responsible, grown up choice if you're looking for a hatch, even if it slightly loses the pocket-rocket, hot-hatch appeal in exchange for that maturity.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I have the s line a3 and was parked next to a guido ina gti and his friend said that's like your car if it grew up

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
but do you get 300 hp out of the r32?

It's the same engine and if you want to go fast the 2.0T is a much better engine, as it's cheaper to tune and it gets 300+hp from exhaust and a remap, I have a couple mates who runs 2.0T with close to 400hp, with very few mods.

Originally Posted by Epik
I feel too old for it and I'm only gettin into my 20's.

My neighbour is 60 and he drives a grey GTi and loves it.

You should be banned from any and all VW forums for asking that, a) the car looks better lowered and b) it's a "performance" car, so the ride height is low for a reason.

If you want something discrete with the same engine get an A3 2.0TQ instead.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I went with an Audi it would be the A4 Avant. I just drove the Outback 3.6 and it's pretty nice. It's more refined and much smoother compared to the Forester but I like the dimensions of the Forester better. (Shorter and taller) And cobb can get 290hp and 300 lb/tq at the wheels on the XT. It was powerful enough for me but it's cool to know you can do that if you wanted.

Yes I know the Forester is full time AWD and I like that. The big drawback is the ancient 4-speed. They really need to replace that thing. I'm a member on VWvortex but mainly for the general forum. The MKVI guys are a bunch of immature punks lol. I would never want to be associated with those guys but I'm also not going to rice the GTI if I go with that.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Find Finn
It's the same engine and if you want to go fast the 2.0T is a much better engine, as it's cheaper to tune and it gets 300+hp from exhaust and a remap, I have a couple mates who runs 2.0T with close to 400hp, with very few mods.

My neighbour is 60 and he drives a grey GTi and loves it.

You should be banned from any and all VW forums for asking that, a) the car looks better lowered and b) it's a "performance" car, so the ride height is low for a reason.

If you want something discrete with the same engine get an A3 2.0TQ instead.

This is why VW fanboys are a joke in the automotive community. Looks are subjective. And adjustable coilovers would give someone from cold regions or crappy roads the ability to adjust the suspension and raise it in the winter and lower it in the summer.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is why VW fanboys are a joke in the automotive community. Looks are subjective. And adjustable coilovers would give someone from cold regions or crappy roads the ability to adjust the suspension and raise it in the winter and lower it in the summer.
I'm not a VW fanboy, I'm an Audi fanboy if anything and I know looks a subjective and my opinion is that it looks better with the OEM lowering or coils
smile.gif
I live in Scandinavia and my last car was a A3 1.8T (the old one) with 19" wheels and coils, so I know how it is to drive a low car on bad roads and in bad weather and I drove it at the same ride hight 365 days a year.
smile.gif
If you want comfort don't buy a GTi, as I said get an A3 SB 2.TQ.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics