• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else hate dark denim? Recommend good light denim here!

sellahi22

Reaction score
Seems like all the jeans talk in MC and SW&D relates to the stiff/heavy japanese raw stuff. I find those jeans very uncomfortable and way too slick looking to wear while hanging out on a weekend. I prefer jeans in a medium to light blue, with only a bit of distressing (a couple of whiskers or a bit of fading, no holes), and a fairly slim/tapered fit (no baggy dad jeans).

My favorite jeans are some pairs of Helmut Lang and Armani Jeans that I got a couple years ago, but being relatively flimsy and lightweight they are reaching the end of their useful life. Unfortunately the current models of AJ/HL are either raw/dark or have excessive distressing.

Anyone have some good recs for medium/light colored denim in the aforementioned style?

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know exactly what your previous jeans were like, but maybe Levis 514s in a lighter wash?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would look at Earnest Sewn. They have probably the most "nautural" looking lighter denim. They also use very lightweight denim, which seems like what you are after. If not these go with Levi 501's.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Thanks for the recs guys. I posted this thread to elicit a bunch of names of designers who put out decent mid/light blue jeans, so people in my position have a starting point when we go jeans shopping.

Originally Posted by iamjammin
what price range are we talking?

I'm willing to pay up to $300/pair. I'm not value conscious with jeans (i.e. I would overpay for the perfect pair), but I would like to make an informed decision. I find that most good jeans shops (such as Barneys) have like a million pairs, and I don't know how to differentiate quality.

Originally Posted by Kajak
Don't know exactly what your previous jeans were like, but maybe Levis 514s in a lighter wash?

Thanks for the rec, I will try those out. I used to have some 501's, but beyond the weirdly high rise (I understand that 514's don't have this issue), I found the styling/detailing to be somewhat basic. Maybe I'm deluding myself due to the high HL/AJ price tag, but I thought the subtle fading/whiskering and stitching details on the more expensive jeans to be more aesthetically pleasing, as though they were catering to a higher end/more discerning market than Levi's.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I would look at Earnest Sewn. They have probably the most "nautural" looking lighter denim. They also use very lightweight denim, which seems like what you are after. If not these go with Levi 501's.

Thanks I will definitely check those out. "Natural looking" light denim is exactly what I want. Lightweight is not necessary, I just don't want to feel like I'm wearing burlap or metal armor on a hot summer day.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Ive been really happy with all of my Earnest Sewn jeans....great worn in denim....very comfortable and fit is good on me as well. Levis 514s are my other favorite pair...cheap too. I pick em up for under 50 bucks...usually around 30 sometimes. but the ESs in my opninion look and fit better.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my Citizens of Humanity jeans are the perfect true blue pair, medium blue, lightly distressed and look like a million bucks with almost anything.

Even better since I snagged them from Barneys for $59 on sale :)

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
NOBD has some great light denim.

He does, but I think all of those jeans started dark......

Mike

bobm

Reaction score
I know I will get some flack here, but $300.00 for jeans is way too dear in my world, especially "hanging around" type jeans. But, I've also spent excessively on some things in my life, so go for it.

Bob

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handful of companies are doing hand dyed versions of popular models. They are lighter and have really interesting surface patterns and texture. Cost is around $500, but they're very special.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobm
I know I will get some flack here, but $300.00 for jeans is way too dear in my world, especially "hanging around" type jeans. But, I've also spent excessively on some things in my life, so go for it.

Bob

By "hanging around" I mean jeans to wear for going to lunch on the weekend and other activities where I want to look both smart and casual. Chinos are also good for this purpose, but sometimes they can come across as too business casual in my opinion.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think NOBD's jeans are mainly APC's that have been through the washer a few times.

Personally I dislike 'distressed' jeans - the distressing rarely looks like the person wearing them could possibly have produced fading in those specific places.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics