• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
After almost 9 months, I finally got my ravello longwings from the Washington Alden shop. Now that I have them, I think I'd prefer shortwings.

I'm looking for a nice spring wingtip, maybe a whiskey longwing...what is it that you do not like about the longwings? From the Washington DC Alden shop?

lambchop

Reaction score
I was speaking with a shoe care professional at a shine/ repair shop and they were recommending always shining new shoes before wearing, including shell cordovan in order to create a protective base shine.

From all the info in this thread I was under the impression that the only care needed for shell cordovan was a damp cloth wipe down followed by a good brushing with the horsehair brush. Then, a small amount of paste wax after a few months.

Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide if I should shine some new Alden shell boots before wearing.

Thanks guys.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
The flash made the colors look more brighter than in real life. Cigar longwings and WinnPerry cap toe boots.
kccepf.jpg

The instruction for caring that came with the Cigars.
oghvdy.jpg

I need a pair of the cigar longwings for next fall...definitely on my list!!!

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lambchop
I was speaking with a shoe care professional at a shine/ repair shop and they were recommending always shining new shoes before wearing, including shell cordovan in order to create a protective base shine.

From all the info in this thread I was under the impression that the only care needed for shell cordovan was a damp cloth wipe down followed by a good brushing with the horsehair brush. Then, a small amount of paste wax after a few months.

Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide if I should shine some new Alden shell boots before wearing.

Thanks guys.

lurker[1].gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys.

Let me guess what happened next: he offered to graciously sell you some shoe polish and supplies? Did he also recommend that all new shoes be resoled before wearing?

borderline

Reaction score

Thanks guys.

I would go with this:
http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.co...he-mac-method/

lambchop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Let me guess what happened next: he offered to graciously sell you some shoe polish and supplies? Did he also recommend that all new shoes be resoled before wearing?

Haha, no they actually didn't even charge me on the small repair job I was having done.

The idea of shining new shoes since you don't know how long they were stored makes sense to give them a protective base coat. I just didn't think cordovan really needed to be fussed with for a while.

Thor

Reaction score

In my opinion, just cleaning, brushing and polishing with soft cloth IS shining your shoes.

Paste is not needed to "shine" your shoes...

Depends on the shoe as to whether I shine every time or not...

Cordo Indys no...Wing tips yes....

If you want to put your best foot forward...best to spend a few moments to brush and polish your investment in fine shoes...
smile.gif

Looks like Mac never leaves the house with out a fine shine...

FENWAY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
10% off at ShoeMart on Aldens at their store. Who knows, maybe they'll do 10 off over the phone, too?

Saw that today in person...out of my size though
plain.gif
Heard it was for two weeks

phantomx48

Reaction score
Leathersoul Plaza Indy Boot in color #8 shell. Love it when the sun hits the #8 leather and allows the burgundy to peek out from behind the black. This is only after five wearings. . .can't wait to see it after a year or two.

photo30g.jpg

photo29yi.jpg

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
Leathersoul Plaza Indy Boot in color #8 shell. Love it when the sun hits the #8 leather and allows the burgundy to peek out from behind the black. This is only after five wearings. . .can't wait to see it after a year or two.
photo30g.jpg
photo29yi.jpg

Beautiful! I have the Cigar Indy on the Barrie but wish I had this boot instead. I really like the way the Plaza last fits my foot

tlieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by x_quest
Just got a new pair of Indys a week ago... is the sole separating from the welt normal? Theres seperation thats big enough to fit a business card through on both the left and right shoe.

miG0M.png

Man, looks like Alden's quality control is going downhill on the Indy's. Seeing too many complaints about soles separating. Probably cause it's the most mass produced item from Alden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads