• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stainless Steel Watch $500-$700

ScNCrash

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a stainless steel watch for $500-$700. Could anyone recommend a few brands that I could look into?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new - tag heur, breitling, baume and mercier, omega, longines
(online only, full retail will be mostly above your range)

used - rolex (youll need to look around online to find a decent one in this range but it can be done)

ps welcome

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also recommend Raymond Weil and Seiko. Both are underrated brands with good, reliable watches.

(I'm assuming you are looking for a dress watch, since you are on this forum.)

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I'd also recommend Raymond Weil and Seiko. Both are underrated brands with good, reliable watches.
+1 for Seiko. If you like the look of Diver and Military watches, head over to Time Tech Talk.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What type of watch? Dress, casual, large face, small....

Two more brands Stowa and Sinn (either base models or used).

ScNCrash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches

used - rolex (youll need to look around online to find a decent one in this range but it can be done)

ps welcome

I never considered a used rolex. How well do they retain their value?

Originally Posted by airportlobby
What type of watch? Dress, casual, large face, small....

Two more brands Stowa and Sinn (either base models or used).

Dress with a moderate to large face.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if taken care of they retain their value better than almost any brand (outside of collectors peices)

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yay for Seiko watches.
But the little brand whore in all of us asks "Why pay that much for a Seiko when a lot of Seikos can be had for under $100"?

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
While I never say never, finding a used Rolex that is not in collectors box only condition for even $700 is going to be an extremely challenging task. Not sure if the OP is wanting to search the better part of 1-2 years.

Since dress watch is your target, count out Breitling unless you want a vintage watch.

Omega - older quartz can be had in that range. Longines even newer quartz used can be had all at the higher end of your range.

Baume e Mercier used is an option, again think 7-800.

New - try Tissot Le Locle, Louis Erard, Hamilton. All can be had in automatics to boot.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches

ps welcome

Not even maybe on:

New Breitling
New Omega
Used Rolex (in working condition with all-original parts)

A new Tag will be quartz. A new BM in that range isn't that hard to find, especially on a discontinued model. Longines should be a plenty.

You might also consider Oris, Hamilton, Seiko or Tissot.

You can find vintage Omegas in that price range, but if you are going vintage, make sure you really know what you're doing. Just because you get an Omega case/dial doesn't mean it's an original movement inside; you had better know what questions to ask, how to assess if you're buying from a legit dealer and what you are looking for.

atila

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Not even maybe on:

New Breitling
New Omega
Used Rolex (in working condition with all-original parts)

A new Tag will be quartz. A new BM in that range isn't that hard to find, especially on a discontinued model. Longines should be a plenty.

You might also consider Oris, Hamilton, Seiko or Tissot.

You can find vintage Omegas in that price range, but if you are going vintage, make sure you really know what you're doing. Just because you get an Omega case/dial doesn't mean it's an original movement inside; you had better know what questions to ask, how to assess if you're buying from a legit dealer and what you are looking for.

Was just about to post this exact thing.

I also agree with the sentiment on Oris, Hamilton, and Tissot.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atila
Was just about to post this exact thing. I also agree with the sentiment on Oris, Hamilton, and Tissot.
And you can pretty much scratch Tag off that list, if you're lucky someone will sell you an Aquaracer on rubber for that price, but the only one readily available in that range is the F1, which feels less substantial than other Tags (lighter bracelet, plastic bezel). The other question the OP has to ask himself: Do I want to spend $5-700 because that's what I believe one should spend on a watch, or do I want a really nice watch but only have $5-700 at the moment. If the latter, buy a $20 watch for now and keep saving; you'll just keep wanting the better watch after you spend your $700, but instead of starting today with $700 saved, you'll be starting with $0 saved. Also check out Glycine watches. Few dealers sell them, but some of them are pretty cool looking.

ScNCrash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
The other question the OP has to ask himself: Do I want to spend $5-700 because that's what I believe one should spend on a watch, or do I want a really nice watch but only have $5-700 at the moment.

If the latter, buy a $20 watch for now and keep saving; you'll just keep wanting the better watch after you spend your $700, but instead of starting today with $700 saved, you'll be starting with $0 saved.

I want a really nice watch but only have $5-700 at the moment. I am a 4th year business student in the process of putting together a work wardrobe. I understand you're rational for holding off until I can afford better, but I should have substantially higher income in 3-4 years. This will allow me upgrade later on while still having something suitable in the meantime.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I don't know if you want dressy or casual but for casual, Glycine has some very attractive options in their "Combat" and "Incursore" lines. The other recommendations are going to be too expensive. And if you find a Rolex for $500, it will be one that has been run over by a train. Also, go to www.watchuseek.com, a website where watch nuts buy and sell. I have bought 5 or 6 watches from guys there, all at great prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads