• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those buttons are normal on that type of sweater...check out Saint James for a classic expampl of the style. Still not air about the purpose....but they are not uncommon.

highkneez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
Those buttons are normal on that type of sweater...check out Saint James for a classic expampl of the style. Still not air about the purpose....but they are not uncommon.
Hmmm..you're right, I never noticed them before. Now I'm starting to like the sweater! lol

rfpgh

Reaction score
I've been unable to find a nautical sweater like that for less than $100, so I'm actually pretty psyched to see that. I'll probably still wait a year for them to go on sale tho.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Does anyone have the $60 for $30 groupon code that they might want to sell?

I'm looking to pick up a few things and would love to use it.

narm60

Reaction score
FYI the groupon codes expire a week from today (on the 9th)

100 yrs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 100 yrs
this shoulder button crewneck sweater it looks nice enough, except, as the name implies, it has buttons on the shoulder. why? are they functional?

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/Should...1&origin=index

i'd like to amend my previous statement. was in j.crew yesterday and saw the st james version of this sweater with buttons on the shoulder, and it looked really good. i'm assuming that one is miles ahead in terms of quality, but the price on this one makes it very tempting.

also, there does seem to be a reason to the buttons. if you have a giant melon of a head you can avoid stretching out the neck by un-buttoning.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by narm60
FYI the groupon codes expire a week from today (on the 9th)

Ya, I have no problem with that - have an order already in mind.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 100 yrs
i'd like to amend my previous statement. was in j.crew yesterday and saw the st james version of this sweater with buttons on the shoulder, and it looked really good. i'm assuming that one is miles ahead in terms of quality, but the price on this one makes it very tempting. .
Why would J Crew be "miles ahead in quality?" For the most part LEC fits better, is a better value, has much better customer service, and seems to be even slightly better quality than J Crew. Finally used my groupon in store the other day, they let me match the in-store price on sale chambrays. Got two (purple and navy stripe) and a 3-pack of socks for the woman with free shipping to my door and it was almost completely covered by the groupon. The chambrays fit much better than the oxfords, I can't believe the difference.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
Why would J Crew be "miles ahead in quality?" .

I think he was referring specifically to the St. James piece, which is not J Crew - they just carry the brand. Although I do not disagree with your comments on LEC quality, St. James is a high priced brand (made in France, I belived) and considered one of the originals for this style.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Ah, I misread it - I apologize.

Factor Xll

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to wear the End-on-End poplin today, and I have to say its my favorite LEC shirt, great fit and the fabric is far superior to the regular heritage poplin and not as thick as the Heritage oxford, which I would pick as the second best. Its also a slimmer fit than then heritage oxford.

I'll be picking up more of the End-on-end poplins when they go on sale.

Cheese1

Reaction score
Alright I posted this a page back but didn't get an answer... can someone compare the chambray to jcrew? Some people are saying it's better quality, other say worse, I just want to know in terms of value and fit.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rfpgh
I've been unable to find a nautical sweater like that for less than $100, so I'm actually pretty psyched to see that. I'll probably still wait a year for them to go on sale tho.

I've been looking for one for a while also that was lower priced. I saw this in some previews a while back and have been looking forward to it.

I haven't bought anything since the original release (last Christmas). Has the fits slimmed down? I'm a 39" chest. Do you guys think I should go for a small or medium?

mothball

Reaction score
I've got a 39" chest as well. I've found that the material between the buttons tends to gape when I wear the smalls. Just a touch, but enough that I moved up to a medium.

kidkorea

Reaction score
50% off sale section + free shipping.

Ordered the shaker shawl cardigan in burgundy and the marled shawl sweater, both in small. 5'9/155, hope it fits!

Dad gave me a $40 gift card so total came out to $25 for both, hoping they fit me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads