• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Ruger 22/45 RP is a very nice .22 that can be found under $300. Controls mimic those of larger weapons (safety and magazine release) fairly well. Sights are basic black on black, but that's fine for learning and Ruger sells fiber optic front sights if you desire one.

Assembly and disassembly on Ruger and Browning .22s is less than pleasant, as referenced by Jan, but honestly I don't know why anyone would bother 99% of the time. Use quality ammo (I like CCI Mini-Mags - they work in everything, and while twice as expensive as bulk .22 ammo, still ~1/3 the price of 9mm range ammo) Keep it lubed and you'll probably go thousands of rounds without a cleaning-related malfunction.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
Built this for the next zombie apocalypse. In .308:

5266732512_b0ba5daec7_b.jpg

Is this a good weapon for general rampaging? I would need a suppressor for the main work of off'ing my enemies while they sleep with their wives.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
imgp3359x.jpg

For Xmas I'm hoping Santa will bring me an M9 bayonet and MD Arms 20rd drum for her!
smile.gif

Pretty interesting, how is reliability?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad I got my Saiga 12 when I did!

Izhmash has ceased production of small arms. All manufacturing will be transferred to Izhevsk Mechanical Works plant that makes "Baikal" brand rifles. This means Saiga rifles and shotguns will be built there as well, but chances are they will change the brand from Saiga to something else. As a side note, IzhMech lately in Russia got bad reputation for extremely poor quality products.

http://lenta.ru/news/2010/12/16/kalashnikovs/

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of the rifles a few years back. Seems like the prices have doubled

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Pretty interesting, how is reliability?
Well, it is an AK
satisfied.gif
But if you are free next weekend, let's hit the range and put her through some paces. I scored a 20rd drum yesterday too!
imgp3520.jpg
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of the rifles a few years back. Seems like the prices have doubled
$349 (also a 5% discount code for members of the Saiga forum): http://store.carolinashooterssupply....0-16%22/Detail

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it is an AK
satisfied.gif
But if you are free next weekend, let's hit the range and put her through some paces. I scored a 20rd drum yesterday too!

imgp3520.jpg

$349 (also a 5% discount code for members of the Saiga forum): http://store.carolinashooterssupply....0-16%22/Detail

^ That's one of the best deals I've seen lately. I think the last gun show at George R Brown lots of booths had them for $500-600

Kengs

Reaction score
Been really busy with the whole Multitasker thing so SBR build is coming along REALLY slowly

Paul @ LaRue hooked me up with a nice Scout Light Mount, waiting on my M300

Also scored a Battlecomp 1.0 - what a quality piece

img0407ih.jpg

Kengs

Reaction score
BTW, if anyone is going to be at the SHOT Show, pls visit booth 7309 (Multitasker Tools) and say hello

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up one of these guys today. Nothing special as far as Kimbers go, but I can't wait to put some rounds through it. I went looking for a 1911, then started looking at ARs and variants. Decided to hold off on the rifle for now but it'll be next

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it is an AK
satisfied.gif

imgp3520.jpg

After reading this I spent a few hours yesterday (when I should have been being productive) reading up on the different models offered, conversions, and plusses/minuses of .223 vs. .308 vs. 5.45x39 vs. 7.62x39.

Goddamn internets.
biggrin.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
After reading this I spent a few hours yesterday (when I should have been being productive) reading up on the different models offered, conversions, and plusses/minuses of .223 vs. .308 vs. 5.45x39 vs. 7.62x39.

Goddamn internets.
biggrin.gif

Heheh, I recently admitted to AK OCD. I've just bought a mint genuine Russian 1986 AK74 stock set for my shotgun and am close to ordering a factory 8rd mag for it ($140!). When that is done I know I'll want to get a 5.45 Saiga and convert it to a classic 1980s Afghan War AK74.

You can buy one converted for you (Arsenal and a few other workshops do them) but it is not difficult. The only moment of clenching is drilling a hole in the receiver for the pistol grip.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this point I should really cut my losses and stop researching AK-47s online (what the hell would I even do with an AK?), but screw it.

What makes you want the 5.45 over the 7.62 (or the .223 or .308 for that matter?)

Each seems to have its strong points, but the 5.45 kinda seemed the least interesting to me.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
At this point I should really cut my losses and stop researching AK-47s online (what the hell would I even do with an AK?), but screw it. What makes you want the 5.45 over the 7.62 (or the .223 or .308 for that matter?) Each seems to have its strong points, but the 5.45 kinda seemed the least interesting to me.
Meh, it's mostly a personal taste thing. I was around a LOT of AK47s and AKMs for a while. Standard Issue Bad Guy rifle in most parts of the world. They are just kinda boring, to me. The AK74, on the other hand, is kinda exotic and conjures images of the last days of the Soviet Empire and all that. There was a great article from a former Soviet Afghan veteran Spetznaz guy in SGN last month, discussing the pros and cons of the AKM vrs AK74. Plus 5.45 is an absolute bargain right now. I can't afford to shoot my 7.62 rifle much these days, but an AK74 might actually get some regular range time. As I said, it's mostly just a personal taste thing.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, didn't realize 5.45 was so much cheaper...knew it was the cheapest, but based on a quick search .223 and 7.62 didn't seem too much more expensive, while .308 was substantially more so (and more for the rifle as well).

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Picked up one of these guys today. Nothing special as far as Kimbers go, but I can't wait to put some rounds through it. I went looking for a 1911, then started looking at ARs and variants. Decided to hold off on the rifle for now but it'll be next

Haha....you sound a lot like me, I was in the market for an AR, but ended up purchasing a Kimber instead. Now, I'm forced to start all over again, except at this point, I'm thinking my next buy will be a shotgun for home protection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics