• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do Germans wear?

.Kurtz.

Reaction score
In general, germans are quite simple/rational with their garments. I can foresee that anyone wearing fancy clothes would easily be labeled as kind of spendthrift.

Gherkins

Reaction score
Lots of knowledge here, good lord.
laugh.gif

You'll meet many different people with different styles, but as a rule of thumb these guidelines might work.

Students: Jeans, T Shirts and Sneakers and you'll gel in well.

Lecturers probably a cord jacket and Jeans or something along these lines.

Formal is much more casual than americans might be accustomed to. Black or white tie is virtually never worn, except from higher diplomatic events. A dark grey or blue suit would do nicely.

Business suits are quite similar to formal ones and most of the time exchangeable.

Stay clear of sandals (especially with socks) and short trousers.
Contrary to common belief these are safe bets to make a complete and utter fool of yourself.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are lots of well dressed Germans. They [once] had a very strong tailoring tradition, not sure about that now.

Dexx

Reaction score
You will be fine over here, if you dress like a casual in the US. On the other hand, if fashion is a kind of science for you and you overdo it, you will be met with suspicion.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on what social circles you will be spending time in....

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
I think those Nazi pictures were a bit unnecessary (as indeed the Nazis themselves were). Germany has moved on.

Anyway my impression is that German students dress slightly better than US (or UK) ones and, perhaps more significantly, the differences between how they dress and how non-students of the same age dress is more noticeable. I think your proposed wardrobe is fine, but you might want to go for real shoes rather than trainers.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer
I think those Nazi pictures were a bit unnecessary (as indeed the Nazis themselves were). Germany has moved on.

+1

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think those Nazi pictures were a bit unnecessary (as indeed the Nazis themselves were).

This is what I love about Britain. Probably the only country in the world where the Nazis were just "a bit unnecessary". Kind of like a slight inconvenience; a minor wrinkle in the grand scheme of things that's now been put right...
laugh.gif

Mr T

Reaction score

Anyway my impression is that German students dress slightly better than US (or UK) ones and, perhaps more significantly, the differences between how they dress and how non-students of the same age dress is more noticeable. I think your proposed wardrobe is fine, but you might want to go for real shoes rather than trainers.

I have only lived in Germany for a few months but my observations are similar. Although Germans seem to enjoy being comfortable they are definitely not sloppy about it like typical N. American. In the college towns I have wandered around (Heidelberg and Bamberg) most of the younger folks were in denim and nice winter coats and just looked more "put together" than students one would see in the US. From what I saw, young professionals were in suits w/out pocket squares or ties. I imagine someplace like Frankfurt would be more formal - Stuttgart less so. Regardless, enjoy your time in Germany. It is a beautiful country with (once you break that initial barrier) very warm, friendly people. Also, the women are hot.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
This is what I love about Britain. Probably the only country in the world where the Nazis were just "a bit unnecessary". Kind of like a slight inconvenience; a minor wrinkle in the grand scheme of things that's now been put right...
laugh.gif

Otherwise known as British understatement. Not always a positive attribute though.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
I have only lived in Germany for a few months but my observations are similar. Although Germans seem to enjoy being comfortable they are definitely not sloppy about it like typical N. American. In the college towns I have wandered around (Heidelberg and Bamberg) most of the younger folks were in denim and nice winter coats and just looked more "put together" than students one would see in the US. From what I saw, young professionals were in suits w/out pocket squares or ties. I imagine someplace like Frankfurt would be more formal - Stuttgart less so. Regardless, enjoy your time in Germany. It is a beautiful country with (once you break that initial barrier) very warm, friendly people. Also, the women are hot.

The typical N. American is sloppy? Hmm. Never really struck me.

Interesting observation about Heidelberg. I got my degree there. I always had the impression that if anything only law (and to a lesser extent business) students dressed well. And even among them by far not all.

As for young professionals (or professionals of any age) in Germany, the general rule is this: when you meet clients of course you're expected to dress accordingly, however in the office 90 per cent do not wear suits and ties, even those in middle management positions (heads of department, etc.). I vaguely remember when I was interviewed for my first job my future boss (head of branch) was wearing a pair of jeans and a blazer, no tie. I wonder if that could happen in the UK for example? I changed jobs recently (from private sector to government) and my colleagues have started to ask me why I still show up in a suit every day after having been there several months.
I'm not criticising this necessarily - just stating a fact.

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bck
Hi, all! I'm going be studying abroad in Germany (Stuttgart) this summer. I just want to know what Germans usually wear for formal events, lectures at the university, casual wear, etc. At this point, the only things I'm sure I'm going to pack are: lots and lots of shirts, a couple of jeans, chinos, a blazer, a navy suit, couple of ties, belts, brown oxfords, running shoes, my normal gym attire, and personal furnishings. Basically, my look is sort of American prep. Is there a certain look that Germans tend to go for? Thanks.
Jeans, cargo pants, chinos. T-shirts, shirts (like button-down), sweaters. That's fine for being in a lecture and for leasure as well. Many students buy at H&M (lower middle class). Better go for Peek & Cloppenburg (middle class). If your social circle is more upscale, then go for stuff from Soer (upper middle class, rich peasants). Then it depends on what you study. The more mathematical, technical, or scientific, the more you can wear classic style--except in computer science and biology, they dress like dorks.
wink.gif
Business administration is in the middle between classic and sd&w, legal studies a bit more conservative. For the remaining fields you can dress like a homeless (and that way preparing for your future). For most businesses it's often okay to wear chinos plus navy blazer or the navy suit. The more conservative the industry, the more classic the style. Many German students like to protest and be unhappy. Avoid them. The less formal the discipline, the more do they hate the US (and Israel) and you can only live with them when you generally apologize for whatever the US do--even Obama fell into disgrace once they realized that he doesn't do European politics. Plus avoid areas with high Muslim population if you look like an American, German, Jew, or gay.
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Images of SS and lederhosen
The inevitable...
smile.gif
Do we have a "What is German style to you" thread? Haven't found one. Should we make one?
Originally Posted by il_colonnello
dressing well will be seen with suspicion by many, such as in Berlin. Stuttgart is not that leftist, but you can still get away with anything.
OTOH dressing well (good quality, good taste) often positively impresses the chicks--both within and outside academia. In Berlin the competition is weaker...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics