• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

phazeonon

Reaction score
I was deliberating between the Katahdins vs Chippewa GQ boots for a week or so until i finally pulled a trigger on the Chippewa version online..

got mine yesterday over the mail, and boy it is one ugly clunky boots. the tacky orange hue on the side does not make it any better.. tried it on with raw denim, and felt like a construction worker.

I am gonna return it later this week.
ffffuuuu.gif

would I be expecting something similar if i order LL Bean Katahdins as well?

illumin8em

Reaction score
you should post photos of proof, this would help others who may be on the fence as well.

Originally Posted by phazeonon
I was deliberating between the Katahdins vs Chippewa GQ boots for a week or so until i finally pulled a trigger on the Chippewa version online..

got mine yesterday over the mail, and boy it is one ugly clunky boots. the tacky orange hue on the side does not make it any better.. tried it on with raw denim, and felt like a construction worker.

ffffuuuu.gif

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illumin8em
you should post photos of proof, this would help others who may be on the fence as well.

The LL Beans out of the box are brown not orange looking, IMO LL beans look way better once you put either Obenaufs LP or Oil I'll Post pics of mine that I recently bought and has one coat of Obenauf Oil

phaseshift

Reaction score

ffffuuuu.gif

rrmkhe.jpg

BlueWord

Reaction score

ffffuuuu.gif

Orange fades to brown after a few weeks of wear. I can post a pic of mine, if you want to see what it looks like.

Revelator

Reaction score

ffffuuuu.gif

Have been enjoying my Chippewas for 15 years now. Mine look like Phaseshift's, except with round grommets.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Revelator
Have been enjoying my Chippewas for 15 years now. Mine look like Phaseshift's, except with round grommets.
A decade for my Chippewas. They are nearly indestructible, and super comfortable because of the pronounced inward curve where the Achilles tendon meets the heel. However, they are really clunky and I only wear them for messy work, manual labor and bad weather. They really darkened up after a few applications of leather conditioner or waterproofing. BUT, I will say the the GQ doesn't look as nice as the Iron Works for a casual-wear boot. I assume the GQ is made on the same last as Chippewa's "regular" 6" boot.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peter1
A decade for my Chippewas. They are nearly indestructible, and super comfortable because of the pronounced inward curve where the Achilles tendon meets the heel.

However, they are really clunky and I only wear them for messy work, manual labor and bad weather. They really darkened up after a few applications of leather conditioner or waterproofing.

BUT, I will say the the GQ doesn't look as nice as the Iron Works for a casual-wear boot. I assume the GQ is made on the same last as Chippewa's "regular" 6" boot.

I'd like to see both you and revlator's LL beans POST PICS!! MEOW!!

kojnglsmith

Reaction score
I just applied some Obenauf's LP to my pair of Katahdins but I'm still wondering how I should treat the boots considering I want them to last a really long time. If I really beat them up, go through snow, slush, water, etc. on a regular basis, will the Obenauf's be enough to give them a long life if I reapply occasionally and dry the boots once I'm inside?

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
This is a slightly different model -- 360-degree welt (is it reverse welt? I am not educated in shoemaking enough to be certain) and commando outsoles being the primary differences. Damn, I wish I saw them before I bought the Katahdins -- these look like they are suited to shitkicker duty better, even though they don't look quite as good.

FENWAY

Reaction score
Had the opportunity to see the comparable Red Wing (Beckman) and Wolverine (1000 mile) boots in person and must say the Bean Engineer blows them away in terms of quality / construction. Unless you're wearing boots to sit in an office all day, the Bean options are the way to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads