• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Ralph Lauren Linen & Wool Suit...When?

MCH-est.1818

Reaction score
Was at the Polo Ralph Lauren outlet today and saw a nice looking double breasted pintstripe suit. However, it was 52% LINEN and 48% WOOL. When would you wear this--I guess summer but why the half and half, linen wool--it just seems odd combination...

ykurtz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCH-est.1818
Was at the Polo Ralph Lauren outlet today and saw a nice looking double breasted pintstripe suit. However, it was 52% LINEN and 48% WOOL. When would you wear this--I guess summer but why the half and half, linen wool--it just seems odd combination...

Summer definitely. It looks more like a blazer than a suit.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anytime weather permits, forget about the fabric content.

In other news, what suits did they have in 44L and which outlet was this?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is actually a very practical combination because it minimizes the wrinkles you get from 100% linen but it is cooler that 100% wool. So, Ideal for warm climates especially with high humidity.

One of my favorite spring/summer jackets had a wool/linen/silk blend. It was cool, light yet had very few wrinkles making it ideal for travel. Hard to do with 100% linen.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
It is actually a very practical combination because it minimizes the wrinkles you get from 100% linen but it is cooler that 100% wool. So, Ideal for warm climates especially with high humidity.

One of my favorite spring/summer jackets had a wool/linen/silk blend. It was cool, light yet had very few wrinkles making it ideal for travel. Hard to do with 100% linen.

+1

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

I have several Polo jackets with this mix. In New Orleans, this is a year round material.

Mike

kcc

Reaction score
Such blends allow for comfort in warm climates less the wrinkles that is often associated with linen fabrics. In tropical regions, it can be worn throught the year.

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I have several Polo jackets with this mix. In New Orleans, this is a year round material.

Mike

Like the OP, I questioned where to wear my 50/50 wool/linen Prada blazer. But, two nights ago I wore it out to dinner. I live in LA and it was 60 degrees so I wore a lightweight cashmere sweater underneath. Worked out fine.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ykurtz
Summer definitely. It looks more like a blazer than a suit.

Well, if the OP says there are pants lurking behind the jacket, I won't doubt him. But you bring up a good point, this is something that could definitely be broken up. For summer, pair the jacket with stone colored trousers and maybe a light pink or blue shirt, or else use the trousers with a white shirt and light grey sweater, perhaps. It's also one of the few DB suits I'd say is safe to wear tieless.

If it's a good bargain, and fits well, why not?

Montauk

Reaction score
I have two Polo suits in this material, and they're both shoulder-season staples for me here in NYC.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCH-est.1818

If that is a 38R than it may be the same suit I contemplated buying last year.

linen/wool is a pretty standard combo, 100% linen wears cooler but wrinkles more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads