• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What buttons for this leather trench? (pic attached)

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I recently thrifted a vintage military style (i.e., epaulets, grenade rings, rear kick pleat, belt, etc) double breasted leather trench coat in oxblood (red/brown). [see attached photo]

It currently has dark brown (with hint of red) wooden (I think) buttons. However, one of the large/main ones is missing. Since I was never too fond of the current buttons anyway, this seems like a good reason to replace them all.

What type (horn?) and color button would work with an oxblood colored leather DB trench? Ideally, the buttons would add some visual interest to the coat without going over the top.

Recommendations for replacements would be appreciated.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pics are required.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Pics are required.

Duly noted. The op has been revised to include photo.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope you are:

-talll
-fit
-good looking

anything else and you would look like a douche bag straight out of some 70's tv rerun

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Get some horn ones in a similar colour if possible. I have a black leather trench coat. Unfortunatley it rarely gets cold enough to wear it but I love it. Yours looks good too so if you are none of the categories lee suggested above and you want to sell it PM me. Otherwise rock on you baaad mutha!

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
navy blue horn with dash of white would be my guess

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I hope you are:

-talll
-fit
-good looking

anything else and you would look like a douche bag straight out of some 70's tv rerun

How about 1 out of 3?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Get some horn ones in a similar colour if possible. I have a black leather trench coat. Unfortunatley it rarely gets cold enough to wear it but I love it. Yours looks good too so if you are none of the categories lee suggested above and you want to sell it PM me. Otherwise rock on you baaad mutha!

Horn, eh? Where can I source overcoat sized horn buttons?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
navy blue horn with dash of white would be my guess

Hmm, navy. I will look into that. Thanks.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
looking at that coat all I can think of are ones with swastikas on them.
crazy.gif

I can't seem to recall any Bogart movies with the SS in oxblood trenches.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
That coat is perfect for leather braided knot buttons.

http://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/Produc...803/35803.aspx

http://images.mjtrim.com/tsconfig/35...lt=75&cvt=jpeg

Try to get something that matches the coat's leather (which will be almost impossible) or else a dark brown.

These are interesting, thanks. Is this a more casual style of button than the standard flat/round, do you think? Still, the existing buttons are flat/round and they don't look too formal at all. Maybe it has more to do with the button material?

From the same website you provided, I thought these looked good also. Got a shank and the antique brown option is very dark based on the user reviews.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
FMATT, I am now torn between horn and leather.
baldy[1].gif

Given that I have seen them most often on tweed sportscoats and the like, are leather buttons innately more casual than horn?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads