• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mix & Match Suite jacket?

cartisdm

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a fashion emergency. I tried on my suit pants and turns out...I've put on a few pounds since I last wore them
frown.gif
The jacket looks decent, but the pants just aren't working.

With it being New Years I need to put an outfit together for my fiancee's work party (quick visit) then to a club for remainder of the night. My plan was to wear this suit in a sort of "casual" fashion but now that I don't have pants I have a problem. I am going to run to the mall to see if I can find the matching bottoms still available (very slim chance...). If that doesn't work, can I buy a nice pair of jeans with a jacket like this? What colors would work? Any other suggestions?

The suit is nearly identical to this photo, but only a two button:
http://debenhams.scene7.com/is/image...84?$ProdLarge$

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save yourself some time, just start with the jeans, skip the trousers. Assuming the jacket fits somewhat like the one in the photo, a glen plaid is fine with jeans. There are several problems with attempting to find the pants and match them:

1. Even if they say it's the same model/color, but it's from a different season, there are likely to be oh-so-subtle differences in the color since it may even be a different manufacturer.

2. If you've ever had your suit cleaned, or the jacket shows any wear, you want similar "aging" of the pants, otherwise it will look mismatched.

3. If your suit wasn't originally sold as separates, then it won't be now. The closer you get in terms of matching the pattern, the worse it'll look.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1. Don't even bother trying to find matching pants unless you know the exact ones you had are available as separates.

A grey glen check odd jacket might work with jeans or dark wool trousers. Just trust your eye.

cartisdm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Save yourself some time, just start with the jeans, skip the trousers. Assuming the jacket fits somewhat like the one in the photo, a glen plaid is fine with jeans. There are several problems with attempting to find the pants and match them:

1. Even if they say it's the same model/color, but it's from a different season, there are likely to be oh-so-subtle differences in the color since it may even be a different manufacturer.

2. If you've ever had your suit cleaned, or the jacket shows any wear, you want similar "aging" of the pants, otherwise it will look mismatched.

3. If your suit wasn't originally sold as separates, then it won't be now. The closer you get in terms of matching the pattern, the worse it'll look.

Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
^ +1. Don't even bother trying to find matching pants unless you know the exact ones you had are available as separates.

A grey glen check odd jacket might work with jeans or dark wool trousers. Just trust your eye.

Smart, I didn't even think about the "aging" problem. Would color jeans would you recommend? Dark, light, black, blue....white?

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cartisdm
Smart, I didn't even think about the "aging" problem. Would color jeans would you recommend? Dark, light, black, blue....white?

The darkest blue you can find.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spitfirees20
The darkest blue you can find.

+1. Where do you live, and are you limited to large dept stores for your purchase? I would go with a straight leg and avoid back pocket stitching if possible.

Also, most of the highest end jeans don't come in lengths, so unless you're tall, try and find some that do come in different lengths. I believe Acne offers these, as does Diesel. Can always pop into a J. Crew in an emergency, too.

cartisdm

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks so much for the quick feedback. I went to the mall just north of Charlotte and looked around after work for something that would work. Unfortunately it was PACKED and every single store had been picked clean. I managed to find a somewhat ok pair from Express that I didn't even want but it was an emergency.

They were black/gray color and looked very clean/dressy (no rips or crap like that). The wore a black shirt and a tie with a black pocket square. It was just dressy enough for my fiancee's work party but not too dressy for going out in uptown to bring in the new year.

Thanks for the tips guys, I wouldn't have had the confidence to try jeans with this jacket without it!

cheers.gif

Gwarg

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks so much for the quick feedback. I went to the mall just north of Charlotte and looked around after work for something that would work. Unfortunately it was PACKED and every single store had been picked clean. I managed to find a somewhat ok pair from Express that I didn't even want but it was an emergency.

They were black/gray color and looked very clean/dressy (no rips or crap like that). The wore a black shirt and a tie with a black pocket square. It was just dressy enough for my fiancee's work party but not too dressy for going out in uptown to bring in the new year.

Thanks for the tips guys, I wouldn't have had the confidence to try jeans with this jacket without it!

cheers.gif

facepalm.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gwarg
facepalm.gif

X2. You forgot to mention that part of the plan.

cartisdm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gwarg
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
X2. You forgot to mention that part of the plan.

Lighten up. They [the pocket square and tie] didn't match each other...

It was a solid black-ish/charcoal pocket square and a black/silver patterned tie
patch[1].gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lighten up. They [the pocket square and tie] didn't match each other... It was a solid black-ish/charcoal pocket square and a black/silver patterned tie
patch[1].gif

Black shirt and black(and/or silver) tie is still
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
regardless of whether the pocket-square matches or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads