• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Best & Worst Purchases of 2010

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I feel that my wardrobe is pretty much complete, 2010 will probably be one of the last years where I try to robokop everything I think is interesting. It was a good year for sure. Best of the best:
Library-2213.jpg
also PBJ 005BK, pea coat from Rugby RL, J+ top coat, there's others I can't recall them all Worst: Pea coat from J crew (was talked into buying it from a salesman b/c I was unsure and it happened to be on sale for $198 down from $275, returned it the next day) Pea coat from Gap - felt like thick cotton rather than wool Dress pants from H&M - nice and slim, but the moleskin cotton picks up every fleck of dust in my house. Too late to return.

ennui

Reaction score
Best:
* MMM GATs in white, blue, olive
* MMM black hi-tops
* CP duffle bag in tan - perfect size
* Ervell fairisle

Worst:
* Calvin Klein pants that are too baggy
* Couple of MMM bags I had to return due to bad design/too big

Haven't decided yet:
* Clark's DBs in sand suede and beeswax: like the look, but not that comfortable near the end of the day.
* BBBF suit and slacks: need to tailor them first
* Alden cigar longwings: will probably move to the "best" list once I get a chance to actually wear them
* Neil Barrett grey patent perforated wingtips: this one could easily go either way. Again I have to actually go wear them first.

Previous years updates:
* Lanvin low-tops in blue: sole too chunky, I never wear them, I fell for the hype. Not sure if I should sell them.
* WWM Maine Guide jacket fw09: still my go-to winter jacket (I'm not in a cold state)
* John Varvatos boots: nice boots for the price, don't care if they are not SF-approved
* I ended up dumping the majority of my pre-SF shoes on EBay. It's amazing what people will pay for Nikes or used Adidas.

Resolution for 2011:
* Continue dumping stuff I don't wear onto EBay
* Be more selective about what I buy, but don't be afraid to experiment now and then.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^should have copped old sole lanvins

michaelp123

Reaction score
I really dig this jacket. Where did you get it? What's the situation with the sizing?
Originally Posted by BB1
My best based on frequency of wear.... Attachment jacket
attachment_jacket1.jpg

word

Reaction score
xs boo shirts who am i kidding i need smalls
frown.gif
Best is probably a navy w&h zip cardigan thing. Easy to layer with, no hood to get all in the way but it's as warm as a regular hoodie. Kinda don't like the collar on it but w/e.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like everything I bought in 2010. I am not sure I could pick a favorite.

So, in the new category of "I Liked It A Whole Lot More Than I Thought I Would," I nominate the black Rafstros from the context sale. Those were a surprise. I usually mull over a purchase for a while before pulling the trigger, but I bought those about 3 minutes after I saw them for the first time. I also like the grey waxed 19cm diors more than I thought I would.

I would like to include my jil suit in best-of for 2010 but the damn thing isn't here yet and I am concerned . . . .

2009 was a different story, a lot of turkeys that year. Biggest disappointment was a Neil Barrett cardigan that was high quality and had a nice pattern but did not fit me right. It had four buttons and there was no way for me to button it without it looking awkward for some reason. I lost a lot of money on the sale.

URALLMORONS

Reaction score
Best of:
Levi X Filson Jacket
Visvim Kangaroo Virgils
EG Chambrays
EG Workaday Sateen Fatigue Pants
Samurai 0210(fabric is amazing)

Worst of:
Samurai 0210(only cause I sized too big)
Visvim Highwaters(3 of them, fit is too big)
Visvim Button Ups(2 of them, fit is too big)

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Think I told dl not to cop that nb.

Man I should start an advice thread.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best:
Junya Red Down Shirt
Junya Brogue Boots
Supreme leopard backpack
Supreme duffle
epaulet rivet chinos in camo

Worst:
Our legacy chinos, such awful quality.
Visvim Virgils, I just never really wear them but they're good to have I guess?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Think I told dl not to cop that nb.

Man I should start an advice thread.

yeah I should have listened. I was financially raped in the sale, think I lost $450 when I flipped it. Probably my worst single item beating. fuuuuu

erzu

Reaction score
best:

sns fisherman full button-up
3sixteen stadium jacket navy
lvc 505 1967 - such a great fit on me, i waited so long because i was apprehensive about the higher rise (about 5" higher than apc ns, got them same size as ns - sz 30)
kmw 1950 buckleback - shout-out to zissou who talked this up, fits me better than my ih 634s, acquired blue owl flash sale-style
cp achilles antique low navy
roy denim - before self edge adopted the brand, so i got them for $165 (haven't used them yet as i'm not in repro mode lately, might still sell them)

worst:

none worth mentioning really, maybe some frames that didn't really fit my face shape.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamha21
Do it.

maybe i will but there will be a post/member since requirement for me to answer

or if I just don't like you then you will be ignored

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads