• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official brogue boot style thread.

zinman74

Reaction score
Here's mine. Alden AF85 from Alden of Carmel. Was going to sell these,as they were more of an impulse buy (in July for gawd sake
tounge.gif
) but they have grown on me and proved useful this winter.

SAM_00482.jpg

I have a pair of Plaza cap toe boots in Color 8 inbound and will probably not buy another boot til next fall (yeah....right) but I am considering something like the Barker Harrison in Cedar as a less pricey option. Anyone have experience with the Harrison?

Groover

Reaction score
Alfred Sargent Dumfries

MTO on the 99 last. HAF leather channelled soleS.

DSC04534.jpg

DSC04535.jpg

DSC04536.jpg

DSC04539.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zinman74
Here's mine. Alden AF85 from Alden of Carmel. Was going to sell these,as they were more of an impulse buy (in July for gawd sake
tounge.gif
) but they have grown on me and proved useful this winter.

I have a pair of Plaza cap toe boots in Color 8 inbound and will probably not buy another boot til next fall (yeah....right) but I am considering something like the Barker Harrison in Cedar as a less pricey option. Anyone have experience with the Harrison?

Nice.

I've got the Barker Harrison in the older Mahogany colour and they've served me well. Decent leather and robust boots for a good price IMO:

2009_10_27_boots.jpg
[/IMG]

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Nice.

I've got the Barker Harrison in the older Mahogany colour and they've served me well. Decent leather and robust boots for a good price IMO:

2009_10_27_boots.jpg
[/IMG]

Are these danite-soled? I only saw the danite-sole version on pediwear.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi

Yes - they only come in dainite

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Very nice. Do you know where I could find them in Mahogany? I did google, it seems that only the Cedar calf version is available and the Mahogany version is discontinued. Personally, I prefer Mahogany a lot.

gabbbahey

Reaction score
Hi!

I´m on the hunt for a pair of new boots, preferably brogues that suits the harsh Scandinavian winter.

I´ve got a pair of Paul Smith Corso, which are great. But they´re not perfect when it gets really icy and snowy...
(http://www.karltex.se/se/articleimage.php?id=5639&image=2190790&fullwidth=0&fullheight=0=

I´m looking for a pair of boots with a rubber sole, preferably a commando ones. I like them to be brown or tan and to look a bit more though than the Corsos.

I´ve been looking at Loake Mulligan
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=7338

Good price, seem to work well in the winter and they´re quite stylish....

Any opinions on these boots? Maybe there´re too stylish for a guy who mostly dress in skinny dark blue jeans, (occasionally black or grey jeans.)?

For a jacket / coat, I´ll be wearing mostly a navy pea coat, a wrangler winter denim jacket or a long black Lindeberg coat (the Corsos might suit the coat better...)

These boots have a country feel to them, which I kind of like, but would they look really out of place worn in the city? Which is were they will be worn most of the time...

I´ve been searching the internet for images showing how they look as part of an outfit. Any one who owns these boots? Happy about them?

thanks!
/G

MisterEn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi

Think he means the current Barker Harrison (the tan version) is leather-soled, so he was surprised to see a Dainite on Barker.

Nice boot in mahogany; wish it was still available.

Incindentally, Barker are launching a Dainite version of the current, tan Harrison boot in autumn. Not a lot of people know that.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Think he means the current Barker Harrison (the tan version) is leather-soled, so he was surprised to see a Dainite on Barker. 

Nice boot in mahogany; wish it was still available.

Incindentally, Barker are launching a Dainite version of the current, tan Harrison boot in autumn. Not a lot of people know that.

When I last looked at the Harrison they only did Dainite in Cedar (admittedly a couple of years back! - see date of post :) ) - I'll take a look at the Tan.

Last edited:

MisterEn

Reaction score
Sorry, I got my details completely mixed up there.

Barker's Harrison always had a Dainite sole. I'm thinking of Loake's Burford, which has a leather sole, but will be offered in a Dainite variant from autumn.

Long day...

Oldguy

Reaction score
I have been searching for reviews on the Stows, but have not found this specifically addressed:

I have a pair that I have not broken in yet, and am thinking of selling. They are very stiff, and I do find them somewhat wide. I am torn.

My question to veteran Stow wearers:

Did they get softer as you broke them in? What do you say to the comfort level of the Stow?

I think they are handsome with jeans, but less so with chinos. The dainite sole is helpful with Winter and Mud season.

Thank you.

MisterEn

Reaction score
I think all boots made with good quality leather are a little stiff at first. I have a pair of Barker Harrisons that present a similar issue. So to soften the leather a little, I used mink oil renovator before applying polish. The result was a little more give in the leather (as well as nourishing it).

But for the comfort of a worn-in shoe, there's nothing better than...well, wearing them in. Softening the leather just makes the process a little easier.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - they definitely soften with wear. Applying a good leather conditioner and plenty of wax helps. I use Lord Sheraton Leather Balsam, but I'm UK based so it might not be available where you are... Lexol would be fine.

Oldguy

Reaction score
Mano and Misteren: Thank you for both replies.

I love them and just need to wear them more often. I have just begun wearing them with jeans (heavyweight), whereas I was wearing them more with chinos. I think they look nicer with jeans and I could wear them two or three times this week, as it is a rainy week.

I have used the leather softener and recently started using Loake wax, which seems to be of high quality and applies evenly.

I have a pair of leather brogues that, even with rotation, got a lot of wear and they are very comfortable. The Trickers seemed like the leather was stiffer than any other brand I have tried, including Church and Loake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads