• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pretentious douche or snappy dresser

JonasAberg

Reaction score
You could definitely argue that part of dressing well is dressing for the occasion, not standing out like a sore thumb. If you wear a suit to the beach people will think you are out of place, unless it's a summer wedding and you're wearing a light linen suit or something.

However, as the world gets increasingly casual and dressed down, doesn't dressing well in this regard become quite a challenge? I would venture a guess that most men today own only a single suit, probably black and probably poorly fitting. That one suit is used for funerals and weddings and little else. Walking down the street on a normal day I rarely see anyone in a tie, let alone a full suit.

Even on festive occasions, like Christmas parties or graduations, I've noticed that the suit is starting to get increasingly dressed down. A lot leave the tie, some wear a necklace or chain instead, they unbutton a couple of shirt buttons and the shoes can range from sneakers and cowboy boots to clunky "dress" shoes. Even if you're just wearing a blazer and pants that aren't jeans people will wonder why you are "dressed up".

So how do you combine the "real world" with the "more stylish world" without looking like a pretentious douche?

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonasAberg
You could definitely argue that part of dressing well is dressing for the occasion, not standing out like a sore thumb. If you wear a suit to the beach people will think you are out of place, unless it's a summer wedding and you're wearing a light linen suit or something.

However, as the world gets increasingly casual and dressed down, doesn't dressing well in this regard become quite a challenge? I would venture a guess that most men today own only a single suit, probably black and probably poorly fitting. That one suit is used for funerals and weddings and little else. Walking down the street on a normal day I rarely see anyone in a tie, let alone a full suit.

Even on festive occasions, like Christmas parties or graduations, I've noticed that the suit is starting to get increasingly dressed down. A lot leave the tie, some wear a necklace or chain instead, they unbutton a couple of shirt buttons and the shoes can range from sneakers and cowboy boots to clunky "dress" shoes. Even if you're just wearing a blazer and pants that aren't jeans people will wonder why you are "dressed up".

So how do you combine the "real world" with the "more stylish world" without looking like a pretentious douche?

It's out of place to wear a suit at the beach not because a bunch of assholes want to look progressively dumber, but because it's difficult to tan/swim/build sand castles/see/be seen in a suit. It is not pretentious at all to buck a bad trend. It's honorable, imo. So wear your suits and scoff at the scoffers!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A snappy dresser wears his clothes, a pretentious douche lets his clothes wear him. If you have to ask, more than likely you fall into the latter category.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beancannes01.jpg

dsmolken

Reaction score
That one suit is used for funerals and weddings and little else.
Ensuring there are plenty of funerals in your life is probably not the best idea, though.

JonasAberg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
... It is not pretentious at all to buck a bad trend. It's honorable, imo. ...

But who is really to say what is a "bad" trend and what isn't? At the end of the day it's all personal preference anyway. Is it not pretentious in a way to say that I am right for wearing a suit and you are wrong for wearing a trucker cap or something?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretentious douche or snappy dresser
Can't it be both?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You have to be yourself and it is sometimes difficult..

I used to try to fit in but dressing down a bit but in the last decade ,I couldn't care less..

I wear my suits on my day because I love it...

My colleagues always comment on how elegant i look when i thought they would have laughed at me..

Some might do but so what..

Being a douche is more than wearing a suit ,it is an attitude...

You can wear a suit and be seen as being elegant instead of a dork...

I wear my suit with an open collar and it tends to look in non business occasion..

Be yourself ...

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Major considerations: do you piss off men? Do you ingratiate women? If you can achieve both with the way you dress then you have the world between your legs.

JonasAberg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
Major considerations: do you piss off men? Do you ingratiate women? If you can achieve both with the way you dress then you have the world between your legs.

I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing
laugh.gif

Most of the time I get compliments when I dress more stylish (suits or just blazers, ties etc) but there have definitely been times I've been asked if I don't feel out of place somehow. My answer is always no. I just don't care what other people think as long as I feel great.

If the choice is between a suit or baggy pants that show your underwear I'd much rather be the guy in the suit.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing clothes which fit properly, or wearing clothes which are not boring tends to bring snark comments from others. Just the other day I was wearing a $300 RRL western shirt with $300 RRL jeans and some hispanic dude called me "vaquero", or cowboy.

faketrain

Reaction score
i think it all comes down to whether it looks like you're trying too hard, then you can come off as a pretentious douche. things like strategically untucking half your shirt so one flap is out your pants and the other is tucked in etc. etc.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar

Being a douche is more than wearing a suit ,it is an attitude...

Exactly. It's more about acting like a douche than looking like a douche.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
...Being a douche is more than wearing a suit ,it is an attitude...

Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan
Exactly. It's more about acting like a douche than looking like a douche.

+2

And over-accessorized....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads