• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

nemo

Reaction score
Not a fan of BR myself, but have you looked at their wool/wool blend jackets? Looks like they have a few waist length jackets. LL Bean Signature has couple decent wool jackets, the wool shirt jacket worth considering for the LA climate.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
ive been trying to find a wool jacket all over the place today and can't justify spending over 250+ on one. Went over to nordstrom...I don't know why I didn't stop over at J crew. I went to Zara, H&M, Diesel, other stores and could not find the perfect one. I want one that's not too long, I'm 5'9 I'd like for it to sit just below my waist...

Get a J.crew peacoat. With 30 percent off, it comes to about $200

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have the Mayfair wool herringbone topcoat? How is it? I have been trying to find an overcoat for a while and am considering it.

AEB A4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Anyone have the Mayfair wool herringbone topcoat? How is it? I have been trying to find an overcoat for a while and am considering it.

Mine came in yesterday. I really like it. I'm no expert on quality but it fits me well. Also pretty warm with the Thinsulate.

thoogsby

Reaction score

I also have one. The fit is great and its super warm (I also got the thinsulate). My only criticism is that the pocket stance is sort of high so putting your hands in the pocket is a little awkward.

Knisse

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Does the MacAlister desert boot make that clinky/clank sound when you are walking? Or are the noizeless like a pair of sneakers?

Also, how does these size up to fx. Converse low/high, Red Wing Chukkas or something else?

Thanks!

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Get a J.crew peacoat. With 30 percent off, it comes to about $200

Is the 30% off going on in store right now?

cez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AEB A4
Mine came in yesterday. I really like it. I'm no expert on quality but it fits me well. Also pretty warm with the Thinsulate.
i bought the wool one and i really regret not forking over the extra money for thinsulate. i could have bought a wool blanket and been warmer in it. the quality is also not what I would expect,especially for the amount I paid, the pockets began tearing only after a year of wear. less than that actually since i only wore it during the winter.

AEB A4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cez
i bought the wool one and i really regret not forking over the extra money for thinsulate. i could have bought a wool blanket and been warmer in it. the quality is also not what I would expect,especially for the amount I paid, the pockets began tearing only after a year of wear. less than that actually since i only wore it during the winter.

The first one i got for Christmas I believe was used and returned (non-thinsulate). That or they effed up making it pretty bad. A lot of pulls in the jacket and blemishes. Also, all the pockets that where supposed to be stitched close where open. Good thing it was too big on me so I sized down. New one came in perfect, thinsulate, and came out cheaper due to the final sale.

phaseshift

Reaction score
no one has a small University Coat around the area...but I did stop by express and saw another jacket that just caught my eye looks something like this

http://www.express.com/wool-military...&Mppg=0#jsLink

But with regular buttons and its in black. The medium when relaxed the sleeves sit just where my wrist are, I wanted to try a small but they don't carry it anywhere else they only had a medium. Which I think fit well...maybe I can jsut get it tailored to my liking.

Perfetct length just below the middle of my zipper...40% off...I put it on hold gonna go back right now haha

tooley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
Is the 30% off going on in store right now?

Yep, and they just let me stack it with the discounted price, so $150.90 with tax out the door earlier today for a medium charcoal with thinsulate. The SA mentioned that the deal was over, but got the manager to override when I showed him the website on my phone, which states that the 30% is valid in store until 1/2/11. Awesome coat!

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tooley
Yep, and they just let me stack it with the discounted price, so $150.90 with tax out the door earlier today for a medium charcoal with thinsulate. The SA mentioned that the deal was over, but got the manager to override when I showed him the website on my phone, which states that the 30% is valid in store until 1/2/11. Awesome coat!

hmm the University Coat wasn't on sale at my local J Crews they didn't have my size either so I just went and bought an express one I saw, I love it. I'll post pics later. Where on the website does it show the 30% off I just see the final sale deals

URALLMORONS

Reaction score

About to buy one. We just got one in on return. Medium. Fit is amazing compared to the regular wool/cashmere one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads