• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Best & Worst Purchases of 2010

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xr4ti
WORST:
Wolf vs Goat Overdye Buttondowns: The color on these blew for me. The charcoal ended up getting light pick discoloration after the first wash, sent it back and got another. Same thing for the second one, returned it..... the dewberry also had some slight discoloration, sucked but kept it. Still have the dewberry, purple and green. heard some rumblings about other people having color issues but oh well. But can't complain to much since the customer service is spot on with WvsG.

That's disheartening. Those candy apple and dewberry shirts have been calling my name from my wish list for a while. Was there any explanation given? Shirts that cost $175 a pop shouldn't be having widespread quality control issues.

michaelp123

Reaction score
Best:
Quoddy boat shoes
Alden for Leather Soul Indy boots
Uniqlo slim fit cords
J.Crew sweatshirt
BoO polos (1 black, 1 white)

Worst:
Lands End down vest

xr4ti

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
That's disheartening. Those candy apple and dewberry shirts have been calling my name from my wish list for a while. Was there any explanation given? Shirts that cost $175 a pop shouldn't be having widespread quality control issues.

No explanation and not sure what it was. After 2 Charcoal shirts I gave up on that color, which sucked because it was the one I wanted the most. The Dewberry wasn't as bad as the Charcoal but it has a tint to it which turned the shirt kind of a blue/purple.... it actually looks alright so I kept it. The Royal Grape and Forest Green never had any issues at all ??????? Just to clarify I washed them with Woolite on the gentle cycle and hung dry, do this with my BoO and Epaulet shirts too, this was the first and only problems I have had on a shirt. It sucked cause they do fit me spot on.

jeisurii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strombollii
Worst:
Epaulet Smith: They're constructed great, and I love everything about Epaulet, but the fit just doesn't agree with my body type. I probably should have sized down one.

I seem to be having the same issue. I've gotten a bit more used to the fit, but sizing down 1 would've probably worked so much better for me. On the flip side though:

-Best-
Epaulet EP's Rivet Chino British Khaki - quite possibly the best pair of pants I've ever owned

-Worst-
just about everything else, gotta improve my game for 2011

UserName84

Reaction score
Best: Petar Petrov - Black pants Common Projects - White bball highs MMM - Speckled knit (thanks keykoo) Jil - Brownish vneck ($50 on ebay) Tentative: W+H Service Boots (Bought them today so hopefully all works out. Have been looking for a pair for a while) Worst: Giuliano Fujiwara - Green/grey trousers (listed size was off, way to small for me, but fit my gf perfectly) MMM - White GAT mids (too slim for my feet)

Local_Disk

Reaction score
Best :
White CP lows - This is like a Style Forum staple, but for good reason.
APC NS - My first pair of raw denim
W+H x dayton service boots - I still can't believe I paid for this.. even at sale price. But *******, I love em.
Epaulet EP's Rivet Chino Gunmetal Gray - These people perfected the art of making chinos.

Worst:
Timerland shoes - I'd probably wear these more if they didn't make me look like i have clown feet.
J-crew Secret wash shirt - Crap material, and did not fit my overal style.
Epaulet EP's Rivet Chino British Khaki - I love these, but I realized khaki doesn't fit my wardrobe, so I think I might sell them. (size 28 if anyone is interested!)

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
The boatneck...jaysus. The g/f doesn't tell me what I can and can't wear. Beliedat. But we were going to the pool last summer and I was like ef it, I gotta at least where this once -- and she vetoed that **** for real. Like that goes, or I go....not even kidding. And again this was just to the pool...

Will fit pic for lulz

did you sell that already or whawt happened?

shootspeed

Reaction score
best:
robert geller dress shirts (these fit me perfectly)
robert geller glasgow coat (actually just ordered a few minutes ago, but i'm pretty sure it'll be my best purchase of the year)
silent tees (neck hole is just the right shape, length drapes beautifully, and the sleeves are cut perfectly)
context+alden tanker boots

worst:
eg indigo conductor jacket (bought the wrong size, also later realized the indigo color didn't fit me)
silent loose fit sweater (iffy on this purchase only because i don't have much that goes with it yet, might or might not sell it)
drkshdw hogwash detroit jeans (holes and signs of crotch blow-out showing up after only a day of wear; i have a feeling it has to do with the wash)

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My best based on frequency of wear....

Attachment denim

attachment_indigo2.jpg

Attachment jacket

attachment_jacket1.jpg

wjk M66 jacket

wjk.jpg

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexonfabric
those denim look like they are built for snowman
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
They call them a banana cut, yet they look nothing like that when worn.

Originally Posted by shootspeed
drkshdw hogwash detroit jeans (holes and signs of crotch blow-out showing up after only a day of wear; i have a feeling it has to do with the wash)

I had the exact same problems with a pair of DRKSHDW jeans. A hole appeared around the rear pocket after only the 2nd wear and the darting in the legs started tearing apart! Looking closer, both of these failures were caused by excessive stitching reinforcement which weakened the already fragile distressed fabric-- i.e. the fabric literally disintegrated since there was more stitching in the area than actual fabric.

Also, I don't care for the cut of DRKSHDW jeans. The pairs I've tried have all been baggy in the butt and thighs, but then taper down to a ridiculously small bottom hem that's as tight as true skinny jeans. I suspect the bizarre dimensions are designed for someone with a athletic/muscular build whom desires a less stout looking silhouette.

For someone like me, the Attachment denim provides a far more flattering cut and the quality is definitely better. The only thing I like better about DRKSHDW is some of the cool washes, but a few of the better Attachment washes are nearly as good.

ltb

Reaction score
Best:
  • Stephan Schneider Brown Alpaca Cardigan - My first Schneider piece, which will be a gateway drug into more of his stuff. Not necessarily a bad thing (just for my amex statement).
  • CP White Achilles Lows - Could never seem to find a 43 at anything other than retail or beat to hell on B&S. It's something like my 5th pair of CPs, but already my favorite.
  • Alden x Winn Perry Double Waterlock Captoe - Wasn't in the position to drop the money on these when they took preorders, but got lucky to find someone who had an essentially unworn pair that didn't fit them on B&S. I really love these boots. My first pair of Aldens, which already led me to order #8 gunboats (which arrived yesterday - excited!).
Worst:
  • some J. Lindeberg BD shirt - From Gilt (REAL SHOCKER THERE). I tend to be pretty picky so I haven't had to return much this year. Pretty happy that this is the worst purchase, actually.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, how I love end-of-year lists… Tried to pick one item from each category for my BEST list. BEST Dress Shoe: C&J suede captoe Casual Shoe: Clarks beeswax desert boot Dress Pants: Epaulet slim Donegal tweed Chinos: Epaulet rivet (British khaki, navy, olive drab) and J. Lindeberg off-white twill Denim: Epaulet Smith selvedge Button-up Shirt: Gitman indigo overdyed OCBD Polo/Rugby: Lacoste navy/white vertical stripe polo Sweater: Brooks Brothers gray tipped merino cardigan Coat: WWM tan striped wool Northern Parka WORST Levi's 514s — I need something slimmer. RL linen button-down — Just doesn't suit my style somehow. Oatmeal Scottish wool fisherman's sweater — Gorgeous piece, but it's way too long for me and ends up fitting like a gown.

netsua

Reaction score
Best:
Julius 08 jut neck
TOJ duffle v1
TOJ Pea
grey attachment jeans
black Heutchy leather boots
w+h chinos x 2

Worst
dior 19cm
obey chinos
j crew chinos
TOJ varsity (too small)
filippa k boots

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads