• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love those Chelsea boots, MoM!
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I have one from several years ago, it's my favorite fitting Harrington i own. I like the non-standard check lining, something a bit different to break up the monotony.
I really like the BS lining for red/wine/maroon/burgundy harringtons. A red tartan isn't the best colour lining for a dark red harrington, IMO. They are selling some crazy cheap BS harringtons on the US webstore right now. The green with contrast collar is kinda nice, thuogh it is a poly-cot blend.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ yea picked up the normal harrington (100% cotton) in dark green. There's a "extra 5% off" code you can use on top of the sale price, BSEB5 at checkout

stilts121

Reaction score
Originally Posted by C3PLOS
Does anyone here have any experience with Relco shirts? I was doing a search on Ebay and came across some very sweet-patterned Relcos, but at the price they're going for, I'm a little wary.

Are they of good quality or knock-off Ben Shermans?

-C

The fit is good but they pill like hell. I'm always shaving my burgundy check one.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how do the Ben Sherman harringtons feel? This afternoon I came across what I thought was a Ben Sherman harrington on sale. It looked pretty much like this:

ben-sherman-harrington-jacket-navy-m-385750.jpeg

The thing is, it felt very soft, like a sweatshirt, and it was in the sweatshirt section of the store. It was a large, so I didn't try it on, but it didn't seem like a jacket to me, despite having the same type of collar and pocket placement. I don't remember what it looked like from the back. I was under the impression that the material would feel a bit tougher, and maybe have a slight sheen to it. Does Ben Sherman make harrington style sweatshirts, or are they really that soft?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
they're pretty soft, esp if you compare it to a cheaper cotton/poly blend harrington that feels stiffer. But i never thought it felt anything like a sweatshirt

Ikouja

Reaction score
Air cushion boots now has a tassel loafer and a brogue
confused.gif
by Solovair on their website in "oxblood", it doesn't seem to be the same oxblood as my boots by them, but I can't be certain of that. Problem is, same price you'd expect on Brit Boot Co. Might just save up a bit for them though, I'll probably make some decent money on New Year's Eve... Also, does anyone know if I should get the same size as I wear in boots or should I order a half size bigger or smaller? (Only concerned because I bought some Dr. Martens shoes on ebay a while back and they were too small even though they were marked as a UK10)

Link:http://www.aircushionboot.com/TasselLoafer.html

Big Muscle

Reaction score
What boots would you recommend for winter? I like my DMs very much, they are very comfortable and looks very smart but they are totally unuseable in snowy streets. They slips like a hell. And recommendations?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Muscle
What boots would you recommend for winter? I like my DMs very much, they are very comfortable and looks very smart but they are totally unuseable in snowy streets. They slips like a hell. And recommendations?

That's peculiar - we are having one of the iciest winters ever here in Scotland, and my daughter's DMs seem to have a grip like a Yorkshireman on a five-pound-note!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ikouja
Also, does anyone know if I should get the same size as I wear in boots or should I order a half size bigger or smaller? (Only concerned because I bought some Dr. Martens shoes on ebay a while back and they were too small even though they were marked as a UK10)

Link:http://www.aircushionboot.com/TasselLoafer.html

I've always found DM to run small, and get them a size larger than I normally would. But solovair runs TTS, so my Solovair size is same as most all my shoes, but DM size is 1 larger. So if you got DM UK10 and they were too small, get that size in Solovair (UK10), at least from my experience (having owned many pairs of both companies over the years)

Originally Posted by Big Muscle

I've been wearing these
, not like we have snow here, but the sole is an airware commando sole so I'd imagine they have better traction than normal DM sole. Even tho the description says color is brown, I was pleasantly surprised that they are NOT brown, but a deep burgundy/oxblood.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I've always found DM to run small.

As it happens I tried on a pair of DMs at our local surplus store today I take UK 8-and-a-half in shoes, so I tried a size 9. It fitted reasonably well. I compared the length of the sole and found that the DM was identical to my shoe.

I also tried on a pair of those Marks & Spencer grand-dad boots I linked to a page or so back. They're nice, but they didn't look right with my jeans and they were just a tiny bit uncomfortable.
eh.gif

skacore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
As it happens I tried on a pair of DMs at our local surplus store today I take UK 8-and-a-half in shoes, so I tried a size 9. It fitted reasonably well. I compared the length of the sole and found that the DM was identical to my shoe.

I also tried on a pair of those Marks & Spencer grand-dad boots I linked to a page or so back. They're nice, but they didn't look right with my jeans and they were just a tiny bit uncomfortable.
eh.gif

Happy New Year, It sounds like we are about the same size, I have a UK 8 DM, Made in England, boot and the toe box seems to pinch the top of my foot, I find I cannot wear a thick sock with it but I felt the UK 9 was slightly too big.

The funny thing is, I also have a DM UK 8, Made in China, monkey boot and this fits perfect.

Curious if it was a Made in England, did you wind up purchasing them?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ skacore

HNY

I didn't notice where they were made, I'm afraid. I have decided not to bother for the moment - much prefer monkey boots anyway...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Hope y'all had a good new years, the missus and I are off to Tokyo for a couple weeks so hopefully there will be some nice new tidbits to read and catch up on. We're planning on seeing a skinhead ska band that we saw last time, they do a great 2-Tone style sound so I should have some pics to share when we're back.
smile.gif

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Well, as I think I mentioned before, we didn't wear pork pie hats. For a while in '69 there was a brief vogue for dark blue trilby hats.

I think the main reason headgear wasn't a big thing was because there was such an emphasis on hairstyle.

Sorry to bring up this old chestnut
wink.gif
, but pork-pie hats I always thought were at least a suedehead, if not skin style. Maybe not in your manor, MoM, but eleswhere?...

For example:

Described as a trilby but looks pork pie...

File0319.jpg

1971vg3.jpg

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/317...7CAAE8C4C94190

Btw have a great trip, GetSmart!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
Sorry to bring up this old chestnut
wink.gif
, but pork-pie hats I always thought were at least a suedehead, if not skin style. Maybe not in your manor, MoM, but eleswhere?...

1971vg3.jpg

Well, pork pie hats were very much the "Blue Beat" era. I never saw a single one in S E London or elsewhere during skinhead or suedehead era. The picture in the article you showed appears to be a spoof,

The hat in the illustration there appears to be the trilby I described.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads