• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omega Seamaster Deville on a custom black croc strap.

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
Omega Seamaster Deville on a custom black croc strap.

Nice dress watch
wink.gif

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bpanicola
Thanks. I am a plank owner and in on the forum design of this watch, I waited 2 years for it, but Bill did an excellent job on it. Here are more pictures.
csc0136.jpg

Bill does nice vintage Rolex homages. The only reason his stuff sells is really a reflection on the sorry state of affairs over at Rolex. The current day Rolex sports line up has very girly white gold hour surrounds on the dial. Bill's homage pieces capture the old Rolex look of yore -- back when they looked like tool watches. That said, Bill needs to hire more staff. It's ridiculous to wait 2 years for some guy to take almost a year and a half longer than his advertised time to produce this. He's not reinventing the wheel. He's basically modeling an homage on a pre-existing Rolex design and dropping in an off the shelf ETA movement. My understanding is there were people very upset with Bill waiting 2 years for this homage to finally get produced. That said, his work does have a strong following. But Rolex's are so ubiquitous that if someone that knows a bit about watches looks at an MKII on your wrist they might think it's just a Rolex counterfeit -- not realizing you dropped a grand on it.

bpanicola

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Bill does nice vintage Rolex homages. The only reason his stuff sells is really a reflection on the sorry state of affairs over at Rolex. The current day Rolex sports line up has very girly white gold hour surrounds on the dial. Bill's homage pieces capture the old Rolex look of yore -- back when they looked like tool watches.

That said, Bill needs to hire more staff. It's ridiculous to wait 2 years for some guy to take almost a year and a half longer than his advertised time to produce this. He's not reinventing the wheel. He's basically modeling an homage on a pre-existing Rolex design and dropping in an off the shelf ETA movement. My understanding is there were people very upset with Bill waiting 2 years for this homage to finally get produced.

That said, his work does have a strong following. But Rolex's are so ubiquitous that if someone that knows a bit about watches looks at an MKII on your wrist they might think it's just a Rolex counterfeit -- not realizing you dropped a grand on it.

I had gotten through the phase of buying micro brands and homage watches but this one is very well made and the first one that was released as it was Bill's test build. Most people are still waiting. His following knows that they will have a wait. By the time it got to me I did not expect to keep it. As a plank owner I paid $750 and was sent a second case, crystal, dial, hands, and crown. Everything to make another watch except for a movement and case-back. I have been offered double of what I paid already.

Coldcava

Reaction score
Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but as a bond fan, I was hooked...

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Quantum of Solace Ltd ed, with simulated Walther ppk pistol grip dial..

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldcava

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Quantum of Solace Ltd ed, with simulated Walther ppk pistol grip dial..

Cool!

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love the dial.. congrats!

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it looks exceptional. Well done.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
img3537e.jpg

I love this watch. What do you guys think of the Timefactors speedbird III. I am really considering it and I'm starting to prefer it to most of the fliegers out there.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kaplan, that's beautiful.
i bought a speedbird III off tz on a whim and it's an absolute steal for the price. really well engineered- the bracelet in particular is in a different league from that on my sub.
case and dial are really impressive - add in the anti-magnetic core and eta movement and it's getting hard to justify flipping it to buy an IWC (which was my original intention).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads