• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Best & Worst Purchases of 2010

Chace

Reaction score
Best
- TOJ peacoat
- Fiorentini and Baker 745 Boots (thank you Stylin-1)
- Levis slim cords - super comfortable.

Worst
-Brown knit from Zara - I must have been high as hell what a piece of garbage.
-CP knockoffs from Aldo - total rubbish

Biggest fail
-Losing my new watch cap on the subway.
-Sitting on someones blood (!) on the subway and ruining new N&F Jeans.

2011 resolution
-stop taking the ******* subway.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
You guys are making me want a st james boatneck (2). Slack, what's up with russell mocs? I'm going to order some soon. What size are you in those btw
lol8[1].gif

The boatneck...jaysus. The g/f doesn't tell me what I can and can't wear. Beliedat. But we were going to the pool last summer and I was like ef it, I gotta at least where this once -- and she vetoed that **** for real. Like that goes, or I go....not even kidding. And again this was just to the pool... Will fit pic for lulz. My gripe with the Russell Mocs was mainly just due to the fact there are better options for Chukkas - nothing against Russell. Granted the "better options" (e.g. a quoddy) are not as heavy duty as theirs - but that heavy dutiness comes with a clunkiness factor. And I don't deal well with clunky. I need low profile. No big soles or big shoes. But basically when I looked in the mirror all I saw was bewt. I got the chukkas as they're one of the few offered without a wait. Fit is fine. If I had to critique I would say their D width is a little wide. Size down 1/2 size from your normal dress shoe size. And if you're going custom..yore goin' custom. Which I hear is spot on and exactly per spec with no deviations as it should be. Are you going custom or pre-stocked? No need to say the model unless you want. edit; for the Russells, I am an 8.5D. But I think I could have gotten away with an 8D. Slight slippage in the 8.5 but I think i risked the 8's being too small.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Well there's only one particular version of the moc they make that I like and have been planning to get for years but never got around to it but since I've run out of cops I think it'll be time soon. Fully custom everything, I have the materials picked out and the colors from awhile back I decided on.

Strange about female's reactions to certain things, I'm positive I would get comments on that bote neck too but I'm curious if it may work on me due to my build.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
What size did you try? I wonder about his jacket sizing a lot.
Should have gotten an XL, instead got an L. Couldn't even put my arms into the sleeves. The jacket was really cool with asymmetrical zippers and subtle black pinstripe inserts. sold it for a loss instead returning it back to gilt for credit. His sizing is all over the place. Got an asymmetrical tee during the same sale in medium, and the thing drapes like mofo on me.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Strange about female's reactions to certain things, I'm positive I would get comments on that bote neck too but I'm curious if it may work on me due to my build.

I tried talking myself into buying the St. James boatneck tee. Tried it on a few times, felt like it was a good summer item, and ultimately had to pull back. I don't think the boatneck works on anyone except gay Frenchmen. Doesn't really matter what your build is, it's just too slimy, sensual, and pretentious, all at the same time.

Glad I didn't buy it after reading all these regrets.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah it's on my 'best buy' list of the year for sure. Super comfortable and it's pretty good as a second layer. Wear a navy or white t underneath if you don't have enough swag to pull off the full boatneck. Mind you, I wear mine on the boat, so that's probably the kick. Also I've got an anchor tattoo.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I tried talking myself into buying the St. James boatneck tee. Tried it on a few times, felt like it was a good summer item, and ultimately had to pull back. I don't think the boatneck works on anyone except gay Frenchmen. Doesn't really matter what your build is, it's just too slimy, sensual, and pretentious, all at the same time.

Glad I didn't buy it after reading all these regrets.

I am all of those things so I think I may give it a shot. Plus I'm so hard nobody mistakes me for being gay so I'm good.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I am all of those things so I think I may give it a shot. Plus I'm so hard nobody mistakes me for being gay so I'm good.
Wait, are you Persian? Just joshing, bruh

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

They're only like $80, guy.
laugh.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Wait, are you Persian?

Just joshing, bruh

nope

Originally Posted by CBrown85
They're only like $80, guy.
laugh.gif

in that case i'll buy ten of them

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBrown85
Nah it's on my 'best buy' list of the year for sure. Super comfortable and it's pretty good as a second layer. Wear a navy or white t underneath if you don't have enough swag to pull off the full boatneck. Mind you, I wear mine on the boat, so that's probably the kick. Also I've got an anchor tattoo.

That's corny as hell.

Originally Posted by jet
in that case i'll buy ten of them

They're actually like $65, so get 12.3 of them.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's why I bought the National Anthem tees- same thing, but with a crewneck and longer sleeves.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
They're actually like $65, so get 12.3 of them.

Where is this?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Saint James boatneck: nice for wearing with clean chinos and Tod's driving mocs in a way too pastel color, on picnics with your control freak Asian girlfriend.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads