• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TB's Great Harvest of Silk, 2010-11.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spotted this gorgeous and pricey specimen on the Ben Silver site and want to snap it up into my collection. However, I've been accused (time and again) of liking ties that are too shiny, too geometric, too colorful, or all of the above.

http://www.bensilver.com/Dogtooth-Ne...qua,12160.html

So how about this tie? Does it make you drool? Make you shrug and say, "Meh"? Make you say, "Very nice, but not worth the money"? (It makes me drool, in case you didn't know.)
drool.gif

Is this version of it better because it's darker and, hence, easier to coordinate with an outfit?

http://www.bensilver.com/Dogtooth-Ti...avy,17789.html

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between this and your other threads about ties, I think you should just buy, keep, and wear the ties that you like. If you like them, who really cares what a bunch of dudes on the internet think?

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I really like the color, but if it is also shiny, it might be too much. I just ordered this tie from David Hober - http://www.samhober.com/thai-stripe-...lk-tie-23.html

I like the colors, but because it is the Thai silk with the slubs, it isn't shinny. I am hoping it will not be too much. Also, I can get it in the exact width and length, folds, and lining I like for less money than ordering from Ben Silver. I just prefer David's ties and you can't beat his customer service.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I think you should just buy, keep, and wear the ties that you like. If you like them, who really cares what a bunch of dudes on the internet think?
A great many men go through life thinking they look stylish when they really don't. I no longer wish to be one of them.

Originally Posted by HarleyBob
I just prefer David's ties and you can't beat his customer service.
True dat. HB. I love all my Hobers.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't much like the shade of light blue. The darker one is quite nice.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both ties are too bright and shiny. If you like that kind of small texture, just get grenadines. And the price too high. I don't know if Ben Silver has different grades of ties but the few that I have seen are just plain three or four-folds without even self-tipping. At that price you should be getting grenadines and/or six-fold.
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
A great many men go through life thinking they look stylish when they really don't. I no longer wish to be one of them.
This is good thinking.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I don't much like the shade of light blue. The darker one is quite nice.

+1

I actually find the Aqua one horrendous to be honest. The other one is OK but not that great either

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to pick one, it would be the darker one.

TB, hit E-Bay, where there are literally tens of thousands of ties. Don't spend $120 on junk.

Mike

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While I don't think BS is junk, if you can wait for their sales, you may be able to find that tie (maybe not the navy) at a much lower price. The guys in the store are also VERY helpful, if you call them, they may help you find something similar.

eBay is also a good idea...and I'm not spamming, but i have a few ties in some of my sales threads you may like that have the element of "sheen" with some fairly conservative patterns (think stripes, small geometrics) that I'm practically selling for what it costs to ship...give em a look.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Both ties are too bright and shiny. If you like that kind of small texture, just get grenadines.
Thanks, Kent, but I already have several grenadines (some from you, in fact) and I'm trying to branch out now.

Originally Posted by gdl203
I actually find the Aqua one horrendous to be honest.
I'm really surprised to hear that. I think the fabric is stunning. Maybe it's not a good choice for a tie, but to me it seems a thing of beauty in its own right.

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
The guys in the store are also VERY helpful, if you call them, they may help you find something similar.
Thanks, Rob. Worth a try.

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
but i have a few ties in some of my sales threads you may like that have the element of "sheen" with some fairly conservative patterns (think stripes, small geometrics) that I'm practically selling for what it costs to ship...give em a look.
Will do.

Moving on, then: Is there any love for this tie? It was my second choice in the dogtooth family after the blue one. http://www.bensilver.com/Dogtooth-Ti...ite,17793.html

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That one is pretty good,I like that. Will look good with a white shirt.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The black and white is a classic.

Mike

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
That one is pretty good,I like that. Will look good with a white shirt.

Originally Posted by MBreinin
The black and white is a classic.
Thanks, guys. I agree that the black and white dogtooth looks like a classic. And speaking of classics, every time I see one of these Argyle and Sutherland regimentals, I think I should get one.

1200355012_argyle_and_southerland_highlanders_robert_talbott_regimental_stripe_tie.jpg

Trouble is, I wouldn't know what to wear it with aside from my navy blazer. What other applications might it have? Would you consider it a staple?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads